Replacing stock CPU cooler - bracket on mobo back?

spoxox

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
I bought a new CPU cooler/heatsink to replace the stock unit on my Dell Studio 540 with Intel D915GAG socket LGA 755 mobo with Intel Q8200 CPU. Hurried...store was closing...might not have chosen well.

The new Arctic Freezer 11 LP has brackets that surround the CPU and are attached with plastic slots and tabs. In woodworking, these would be called a wedged tenon joint. The tabs are pushed through the mobo; the slots wedge them open to hold them in place.

But the mobo has a metal X-shaped bracket on the back. Its 4 end points put screw sockets into the holes that the Arctic unit wants for its tabs.

mobobracket.png

If you are now asking yourself "has this guy never changed a heatsink before?", the answer is no, I haven't.

That metal X-bracket doesn't show any signs of willingness to release its vise-like grasp on the mobo.

So I need to know whether my mobo requires a different heatsink that I can attach with screws (recommendations welcome; no high performance needed), or if that X-bracket will go away if I just try a little harder (or smarter - is there a technique?).

Thanks for your help!

Solution
The issue with Dell motherboards is that because they can order parts in large volume they can actually get the motherboard makers to custom make motherboards just for Dell and thus the problem. You cannot get that X bracket off without ruining the board and Dell doesn't care becauseit fit thier design purpose. So you will have to get a heatsink that fits those screws and the best way is to call Dell tech support and see if there are any that fit and are recomended.
The issue with Dell motherboards is that because they can order parts in large volume they can actually get the motherboard makers to custom make motherboards just for Dell and thus the problem. You cannot get that X bracket off without ruining the board and Dell doesn't care becauseit fit thier design purpose. So you will have to get a heatsink that fits those screws and the best way is to call Dell tech support and see if there are any that fit and are recomended.

Solution

spoxox

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
Groan. Thanks for the (painful) info. As this product has reached its service life end, Dell no longer provides online support. The compatible product list does not include a cooler.

My alternate solution - transfer the HDs into a new build I had started. So far, so good. Somewhere down the road I'll buy a refurbished replacement cooler - a few available online.

TRENDING THREADS