Gtx 670 fx4170 bottleneck

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Is it true that a fx4170 bottlenecks my gigabyte gtx 670 windforce in games like BF3 and guild wars 2? and if I upgrade to a AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition will it stop the bottleneck?

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

If I overclocked it to say 3.7 3.8 would it still beat what I have now? only asking because some of my friend with the exact same GPU and expensive CPUs get 50-110 FPS in GW2 and I get like 20-45

The Phenom II has a better chance of not bottlenecking a GTX 670. However, indeed at 1080p, there are some games that indeed will be bottlenecked slightly by a Phenom II @ 4.0GHz, however, these games are few, and still 100% playable. It depends on the game its settings, and resolution. With a GTX 670, you should be 1080p gaming (1920x1080).

BF3 should be okay for the most part, but online play might take a small hit at times, Guild Wars 2 is definitely being bottlenecked by Bulldozers architecture if you're only getting 20-45 FPS, thats pretty bad.

Is it worth ditching an FX-4170 you already have for the Phenom II? My answer is no. My advice is, if you feel you can do better, consider holding off til PileDriver and see what the benchmarks look like for them when they come out (and ignore numb nuts who may show up in your thread saying X, Y, Z about PileDriver, fact is, it isn't out yet, educated guesses about the performance increase they will bring to the table while nice, are still guesses)

If you already have a decent AMD motherboard, PileDriver may give you a more justifiable upgrade, when upgrading, its best to upgrade substantially or not at all.. If you have a crummy mobo, consider switching to an Intel i5 Sandy or Ivy Bridge 2500K or 3570K respectively. i3s will be more or less a sidegrade in most situations despite obviously being superior for Guild Wars 2.

Smeg45

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
The 965 would be a better choice, but if you wait till the middle of next year, I'm fairly certain Haswell's version of the 3570K will utterly murder anything AMD has or will have CPU wise.

I hope you're not expecting more than a 10% improvement over Ivy with Haswell, you'll be disappointed. But honestly, nothing more powerful than a 3570K today is necessary to provide a bottleneck-free experience with a GTX 670, this will never change. Both of them will age like a fine wine together. Well, maybe not.. but you get the idea.

I get the picture.. The problem is, you're advising someone suffer with something that doesn't meet their needs for way too long (almost a year), a grossly imbalanced system.. That doesn't make sense.

At any rate, in all seriousness, computer parts age very quickly, it takes only a couple years for a component you buy today to become antiquated. You're missing out on the performance of the GTX 670, while I would have never bought a 670 to pair with an FX-4xx in the first place, you shouldn't wait til mid next year on a CPU design that may or may not be a great improvement. There are CPUs on the market already today that are perfectly pairable with your GPU, and as I mentioned PileDriver, not too far off down the road (a couple months), that its worth checking out. The GTX 670 is not going to get any better over time. Its not going to need a more powerful CPU a year from now, it needs one, today, or as little time as possible to get the most out of it.

Smeg45

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012

Yes but another 10% speed boost over AMD now - you get the picture?

cgner

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
Nope. The game is optimized for Intel chips. You will get maybe 50 fps instead of 40-45 with an average overclock point. Going to Phenom II or Piledriver is hardly worth the money. maybe a 10-20% increase for over a hundred dollars. Why? If this game is one u really really like and are willing to throw money at, go out and buy Intel board+ CPU. Keep the rest of components. Sell your AMD components to someone who plays BF3 or something.

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

The only resolution that matters IMO. 1920x1080

Status
Not open for further replies.