Can't change wallpaper using display properties

OK I could take forever and a day explaining this one verbosely, but I think
it will just confuse matters. To cut a long story short:.....

I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2 and I can't change my desktop wallpaper to a
jpg file through display properties.
I select the image and then click open, nothing changes in the main display
properties window and the old picture is still in preview and apply button
still greyed out because nothing has changed!
However if I open the picture in windows picture and fax viewer and right
click and select set as desktop background, that works.

I would like to use display properties to change it again, can anyone help
me please? I don't have it disabled, and I am the administrator on the pc.

JP
6 answers Last reply
More about change wallpaper display properties

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 00:48:34 -0000, JP wrote:

    > OK I could take forever and a day explaining this one verbosely, but I think
    > it will just confuse matters. To cut a long story short:.....
    >
    > I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2 and I can't change my desktop wallpaper to a
    > jpg file through display properties.
    > I select the image and then click open, nothing changes in the main display
    > properties window and the old picture is still in preview and apply button
    > still greyed out because nothing has changed!
    > However if I open the picture in windows picture and fax viewer and right
    > click and select set as desktop background, that works.
    >
    > I would like to use display properties to change it again, can anyone help
    > me please? I don't have it disabled, and I am the administrator on the pc.
    >

    > JP

    Open display properties. On the Desktop page, click the Customize Desktop
    button. On the next screen, click the Web tab. On that page, uncheck the
    image file that is currently displayed on the desktop. Back out of these
    screens. Now select a wallpaper stored on your hard drive using just the
    controls on the Desktop page.
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    > On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 00:48:34 -0000, JP wrote:
    >
    >> OK I could take forever and a day explaining this one verbosely, but I
    >> think
    >> it will just confuse matters. To cut a long story short:.....
    >>
    >> I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2 and I can't change my desktop wallpaper to a
    >> jpg file through display properties.
    >> I select the image and then click open, nothing changes in the main
    >> display
    >> properties window and the old picture is still in preview and apply
    >> button
    >> still greyed out because nothing has changed!
    >> However if I open the picture in windows picture and fax viewer and right
    >> click and select set as desktop background, that works.
    >>
    >> I would like to use display properties to change it again, can anyone
    >> help
    >> me please? I don't have it disabled, and I am the administrator on the
    >> pc.
    >>

    >> JP
    >
    > Open display properties. On the Desktop page, click the Customize Desktop
    > button. On the next screen, click the Web tab. On that page, uncheck the
    > image file that is currently displayed on the desktop. Back out of these
    > screens. Now select a wallpaper stored on your hard drive using just the
    > controls on the Desktop page.
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Thank you for the reply Sharon F, unfortunately this didn't work for me,
    there is no 'Web' tab under the customize desktop/desktop items dialog box

    Web tab missing in the Customize Desktop dialog:
    http://www.winxptutor.com/webtab.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@ONLINE.mvps.org> wrote in message
    Web tab missing in the Customize Desktop dialog:
    http://www.winxptutor.com/webtab.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    Thanks Ramesh & Sharon F

    Ramesh, your info brought back the web tab, which allowed me to change the
    desktop wallpaper using display properties, Sharon F, your info helped me
    find out what was missing! Although I didn't have to unselect anything from
    that menu.

    Thanks
    JP

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 20:43:06 -0000, JP wrote:

    > Thanks Ramesh & Sharon F
    >
    > Ramesh, your info brought back the web tab, which allowed me to change the
    > desktop wallpaper using display properties, Sharon F, your info helped me
    > find out what was missing! Although I didn't have to unselect anything from
    > that menu.
    >
    > Thanks

    You're welcome, JP. Glad to hear that you have this sorted now.
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    YW, JP. Thanks for the feedback!

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message news:uZG5V%23U5EHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 20:43:06 -0000, JP wrote:

    > Thanks Ramesh & Sharon F
    >
    > Ramesh, your info brought back the web tab, which allowed me to change the
    > desktop wallpaper using display properties, Sharon F, your info helped me
    > find out what was missing! Although I didn't have to unselect anything from
    > that menu.
    >
    > Thanks

    You're welcome, JP. Glad to hear that you have this sorted now.
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Configuration Wallpaper Customization Windows XP Displays