Sign in with
Your question

~$1800 Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
May 11, 2012 3:19:37 AM

Build for gaming that I hope to not have to upgrade for 3-4 years.

Case:
Coolermaster HAF 932
I may choose another case and I would appreciate any suggestions or feedback of cases people prefer. I know case choice is pretty much all based on personal preference, but I'd consider other opinions as well.

CPU:
Intel Core i5 3570K

CPU Cooler:
NZXT HAVIK CPU Cooler with Dual 140MM

Motherboard:
BIOSTAR TZ77XE3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
OR
GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA 1155 Z77
May choose the second option if I buy the CPU at Microcenter and this motherboard is available at the location close to me. How does this motherboard compare to the Biostar?

RAM:
Corsair Memory 8 Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1600
OR
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
I probably want to upgrade to 16GB since I want to keep this computer for awhile. Should I get 4 x 4GB or 2 x 8GB so that I could upgrade to 32GB in the future? For general questions on RAM: Is timing important, and if so, what timing do I want? What Cas Latency do I want? What about voltage? And finally, what is a dual channel kit versus a quad channel kit? Is quad better?

GPU:
EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680
OR
GTX 670
What brand is best for GTX 670? Is it worth it to get the best GPU available if I have the money or to spend $100 less to get a GPU that doesn't have that much lower performance?

SSD:
Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2BAA 2.5" 256GB
Already bought on sale. Likely will add an HDD in the future.

PSU:
Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-650 650W
This is nonmodular but is modular worth the extra money? Is my case large enough that cable management won't be too big of a problem? On another note, what are the most important specifications to look at if I want to choose another PSU?

Optical Drive:
Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive

Sound Card:
ASUS PCI 5.1 Channel Sound Card XONAR_DG

I'd appreciate any feedback on my current build. Thanks.

More about : 1800 gaming

May 11, 2012 3:46:40 AM

Okay, look..in order to simplify everything..I'll show you what I would build that'll last 3 years....without needing an upgrade...4 years is impossible...

I'll just show the actual Tower and it's components....that'll get you as much performance for your budget.

Here it is : I dare say I'm proud of myself in managing to put in SLI gtx670's

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...
a b B Homebuilt system
May 11, 2012 4:07:35 AM

$2000 build in my sig with two GTX670's.
Related resources
May 11, 2012 5:01:38 AM

This is What i would build as i don't see a reason to use 2 670s if you ever run into game u cant run on max u can always add in extra one later on :p 

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.as... (Just what i would build not necessarily better than your choices we all have our preferences)

As to answer some of your question no it is not worth to get best GPU as 670 is very marginally slower than 680 and it can be easily OCed to 680s speed.

As far as RAM goes the lower the number of CAS the faster the ram is and higher mhz the faster ram is but i would say dont concern yourself with ram speed as you will not really see any real difference when using your computer as the CPU you have is designed to work best with 1600 speed ram anything higher it sees only very marginal speed increases if you want to OC i would go with 1866 speed and as far as voltage just go with the standard 1.5v it should not need anything higher and out of Intel spec at those speeds.

PSU i would just save myself some money and not get modular you can just tuck the rest of the wires away neatly ant not use them unless you really care how the inside of your computer looks cosmetically.

As far as case goes what i do is pick a quality case without too many bells and whistles and save some $ my brand of preference is Antec and i usually go for something simple like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... it gets the job done :) 
May 11, 2012 12:34:56 PM

Thanks guys. Just one more quick questions. In buying RAM, do I need dual channel since that is what is compatible with my MB, or will quad channel work as well although it's not made specifically for my MB.
May 11, 2012 1:23:06 PM

you can get a 16gb Dual channel kit with 4 sticks. the ram slots on your motherboard are set to where they are dual channel so like slot 1-3 are dual and slots 2-4 are dual channel.

I remember when i built my system about 6-7 months ago 1800 dollars wouldnt get me nearly as much then as what it does now:( 
May 11, 2012 1:41:03 PM

Last I recall, Quad Channels are for Sandy Bridge-E (X79) chipset only. So it won't be compatible with Z77, which is the Ivy Bridge chipset.
May 11, 2012 1:48:45 PM

Thanks. That's what I thought but I wanted to double check.
!