Solved

Question about video card comparison performance/price.

Hello everyone! I am building a budget ATX desktop (For casual gaming) and I need help deciding on a GPU and/or comparisons of how the same model preforms from the different company's that resell it. It's the 6870, I currently have the Sapphire model booked marked from new egg (I will post the link at the bottom of the page). It's my first build and I am fairly new to this, but I have done a lot of research, and I have noticed in reviews that the game model GPU is often sold by different companies and even though they are the same card some often perform better than others? I don't understand that. I'm wondering if my GPU is too outdated (2010) for this day and age, and if I can get something better for the same price? I know this is a hassle for you if you don't know the rest of the build so I will list that also.

(I am open to advise on my build also if you feel so inclined)

Kind of an AMD build with a blue theme, but it doesn't really matter to me, I haven't developed a preference of AMD or nVIDIA
Windows 7 64bit
ATX mid tower case (3 fans)
AMD Phenom II x4 975 BE Deneb
ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD
DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600 4GB
500GB HDD 7200.
Either a
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V
CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V
PSU

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948
Looking for something in the price range of the 6870 with as good or better performance (Bang for my buck)
and a good resell company that provides the card(s)
example: ATI, Sapphire, XFX, etc
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about question video card comparison performance price
  1. Nobody is touching this with a 10ft pole I see. >.>
  2. The reason for different price and performance on the same model of card if that some manufacturers will overclock the card and then provide a more robust cooling for it, others dont. Also the warranties vary. In some cases you may pay more for a certain brand name. Also sometimes the cards have different output options (vga, dvi hdmi connectors) and this may have an affect on price
  3. So which company usually does the best modification to the cards? and is there a better GPU out there that goes for 150-175 dollars. US.
  4. Best answer
    In the Toms Hardware article..Best Gaming cards for the Money" May" edition, the 6870 is listed as best card for $170..actually its tied with the Nvidia GTX560.
    To get something better you have to jump up to the $220-250 range. Asus, XFX, MSI, EVGA, HIS are genarally good brands. Most companies will make a fairly stock card and then usually a couple of other higher performance models of that same model. That is why you may see maybe an EVGA card for a given price, then see another that may look alittle different, and cost a bit more that is also EVGA (or ASUS, MSI, etc)
  5. Best answer selected by sadTrial.
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Systems Product