Armor versus Stacker

Injun

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I'm looking for a quality full-tower case that will last me about 3 years. After extensive online and in-person research, I've narrowed my choice for a new case to the TT Armor w/ 25cm side fan or CM Stacker (either 810 or 830). I've come to like these two because of their looks, build quality, practicality, position of front-side I/O ports, BTX upgrade-ability, and filtration quality. While I have a slight problem with the Armor's door fins, I've read that they are easy to remove (or I could just leave them open). I've also read some negative reviews about the 830's build quality that have resulted in recalls.

Does anyone have experience with these cases (preferably both), as I can't quite decide. The 25cm side fan for the Armor just came out, so it is a little limited in reviews at this point.

Thanks for any input or suggestions!

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I'd go with the Stacker 810 over the 830.

anyways, i'd rather get the Armor. Bit cheaper. BUT the stacker 810 has more fan slots and you can put 2 PSU's in it. so i dunno. either way, you wont be dissapointed.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I was down to those two as well and after a bit of indecision I went with the armor.

My major reason was due to the 3 hdd bays in the top beside the psu because I put my radiator for my water cooling behind the bottom 6 drive bays at the front. I got tired of the front door flaps though and just took them off.

One of the Stacker models (810 I think) has the option for 9 side case fans... a bit overkill I think but I'm sure some used them...

If you get a good quality psu you don't really need dual psu's.

I saw the 25cm fan for the side panel as well but decided to save my money and modded the side to add a 120mm fan. Works well.

6004DSCF0675.JPG

Injun

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Probably not WCing yet, but I'll need good airflow as I do OC (although not as much as other people). I was looking at the Armor with the 25cm fan, but I don't know how much of a temperature drop that would get me..maybe 3-5 degrees Celcius?

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Hey Chuck, he listed the 25cm side panel as an option with his armor case. The Kandolf and Armor are phyically the same case with different outside appearance and both are available with the lcs water cooling. The Kandolf is an option of course but I find the Armor more visually appealing.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Chassis/fulltower/armor_lcs/ve2000swa.asp

I've narrowed my choice for a new case to the TT Armor w/ 25cm side fan or CM Stacker (either 810 or 830).

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Chuck where can u buy the Kandalf LCS, i cant find it anywhere, and when i clcik buy it now off Thermaltakes website it says its not available.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Edit: Okay it's avialable now at Zipzoomfly.com found by Waylander.

I'm gonna wait to see if Themaltake win have the Kandalf front bezel with 3-120mm rad mount would be avialable as an upgrade for a regular Kandalf. I could this to place my rads which are currently installed at the back of my Kandalf case.

Injun

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
$400, goodness...yeah, that's probably out of the question for me. The max I'd go for a case is around $200.

Does anyone know how well the 25cm fan performs?

And is anyone going to put up a fight for the Stacker? :wink:

Appreciate the input so far.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
You can just mod it. I have the armor case and I put my 2 x 120mm rad with 4 fans inside by using 4 L brackets that you can get at home depot.

3909DSCF0648-1.JPG

I'm sure you can do the same thing with a 3 x 120 rad, no modifications to the case required, just drill the required holes into the L brackets then use the existing holes in the case for drives.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Nothing wrong with the stacker but when I compared the two side by side the quality of the armor / kandolf just felt better. I prefered the extra hdd cage at the top to the extra psu at the bottom. Love my case and am totally happy with it.

As to the 25cm fan, no idea but generally bigger and quieter is better. I have all my 8 fans on a controller so the sound doesn't bother me. Only have them at max when I game and I have my headset on, when I don't game I turn my fans to like 1/3 power and it's pretty quiet.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
The 25cm or 250mm fan side panel is very good and helps cool things down inside the case. It's huge and doesn't have to spin at high rmp to achieve good airflow so it produces inaudible noise, otherwise saying it's very quite and effective.

Scroll up and you'll see my side panel mod with 80mm fan installed. :wink: I like the 250mm fan but I not going to just trash my side panel so I decided to stick with it. I hope someone break it so that I can have a good reason to buy the 250mm fan side panel. :)

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Ya, I agree, the other reason I went thermaltake is because I have the tsunami case and it was great, just not big enough which is why I got the armor.

My preferences are starting to lean this way...

Low to mid build -> Antec case (maybe psu as well)

Mid to high build -> Thermaltake or Lian Li.

Injun

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Waylander, do you have a front pic of your Armor? I want to see what it looks like with the doors off (as I would probably remove them myself).

Lamy

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
im actually looking at either getting a Antec P180 or the Stacker 810... i cant really decide with. BTW i dont mind spending the extra time on my build that iv heard the P180 requires... any suggestions?

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
ohh...P180 FTW. Best air cooled mid tower, my opinion. you can Max it out with 4 120mm fans for the top bay. 5 120mm fans if u buy a 3 x 5.25" mod.

i'd go P180. Sweet ass case.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I'll take a picture tonight and post it for you, at work right now....

@Lamy, why are you comparing a mid tower to a full tower? The P180 is nice and if I was still in the market I'd consider it but I've heard of issues with too short psu cables, especially for the 4 pin cpu power. You can get a cheap extender for like $5 to fix that though.