I3 2100 vs Phenom X4 955 BE (not asking which is better)

K K0

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
Hello. I am currently deciding between these two processors. I am trying to figure out which one is better for me not which one is better in genreal. My CPU is a older Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3GHZ, I am still satisfied with my PC i can play all the games i enjoy and my PC is very responsive and while browsing the web/watching videos i can have like 20+ tabs open without sluggish performance.

The ONLY things i am not happy with (this is why im considering a new processor) Is when i play league of legends if i alt+tab to open up youtube the majority of the time it wont work and things are very unresponsive and the browser will say "not responding" and it will take ages for the game to maximize after i click back on it or it just wont work at all and i have to just alt+f4 and not minimize while in game.

That and when i play GTA 4 i can crank the graphics to max and run around and everything looks great but even on the lowest settings when i will get really extreme quick fps drops especially while im driving fast and things are rendering.. I did a benchmark it said "Minimum FPS 0" And m certain this has to do with my processor as most people recommend a quad core for games like GTA 4 and BF3.

I've heard the i3 out performs a lot of quad cores for gaming but what about games that utilize multiple cores like BF3, GTA 4 and future games?

When it comes to all around every day use would a quad core phenom X4 955 perform better? It is $40 cheaper but consumes twice as much power as the i3. Or do the things i use my PC for not even require a quad core? But just a newer, Faster dual core like the i3?

TL;DR: For a everyday scenario such as 50% gaming and 50% browsing the web and watching video would you notice a difference with 4 cores over 2 cores? Or are 4 cores only beneficial in specific scenarios such as rendering and playing games that utilize 4 cores?

K K0

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012

I found myself asking is there any benefits of getting the i3 over the X4 other than lower power consumption though? The Phenom is $40 cheaper.

K K0

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
Like if the quad core was more expensive but it turned out a dual core is fine for me i would just get the dual core but the phenom is quite a lot cheaper so would it make any sense for me to spend more money to get the i3?

K K0

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012

Thanks, Yea i would be okay with overclocking but i just wouldn't push it too the limits seeing how far i can go. I would like not not have to increase the voltages but i don't know how far i can get without doing that.

My 975 went to 4.0 from 3.6 on stock voltages, all at the ref clock.

I'd start out with a Phenom II 965 instead of the 965. You could probably get it to 4.0 with the multiplier or close to it without having to worry about voltages. Of course you do need a CPU cooler to go with it.

K K0

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012

the cheapest 965 i can find is $110 and the cheapest 955 i can find is $80. It's not really worth spending a extra $30 imo. People seem to look at the 4.0 mark as some sort of accomplishment as if once u reach that mark you gain some significant boost in performance. The realistic performance increase of having 100 or 200 more mhz really is not worth $30 imo.

K K0

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012

Yea thanks that's something i wasn't aware of until like 20 minutes ago the model with HDZ955FBK4DGM in the name is C3 stepping.

K K0

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012

I could buy a coolermaster 212 evo for that $30

K K0

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012

Thanks a lot for you're help i would select best answer if i could XD

Yea, then that one is fine. If you make it to 3.7GZ, thats basically the same if you had of bought a Phenom II 980 (the highest model that was available in the x4 Deneb family), you should have no problem doing that. And yes, the 212 evo is a good cooler, and you can keep it for your next build in a few years most likely.