Sign in with
Your question

Suitable graphic card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 8, 2012 10:08:13 AM

hello,
can anyone help me suggesting a best and suitable graphic card for my pc ? and how much RAM memory i need to add..i wanna play recent games and my budget around $100-$150

Asus P5G41C-M LX
pentium (R) Dual Core CPU E5400@2.70GHz
PSU 500W 220/ VAC 50HZ
RAM 2GB DDR2
Windows 7 32-Bit OS

please help me

More about : suitable graphic card

March 8, 2012 10:17:53 AM

Hi,

How many amps do you have on your 12V Rail ?

Also, even if you get a decent graphics card, your CPU will struggle.
Related resources
March 8, 2012 10:38:39 AM

how i can find my amps?

this is about my power supply :

AC INPUT 220/VAC 50Hz 3A
FUSE RATING : F5A 250VAC
DC OUTPUT MAX : +3.3V +5V +12V -5V -12V +5VSB
28A 40A 17A 0.5A 0.8A 3A
500W

I dont know anything about finding amp..sorry :( 
March 8, 2012 11:11:44 AM

azamjong said:
how i can find my amps?

this is about my power supply :

AC INPUT 220/VAC 50Hz 3A
FUSE RATING : F5A 250VAC
DC OUTPUT MAX : +3.3V +5V +12V -5V -12V +5VSB
28A 40A 17A 0.5A 0.8A 3A
500W

I dont know anything about finding amp..sorry :( 

Do you know what Manufacturer & model of your power supply ?

Just trying to get as much information from your power supply, so I can research what graphics card will be suitable with your power supply

:) 
March 8, 2012 11:24:15 AM

maxinexus said:
Seriously you recommend 550TI. Are you mad bro?
Nvidia has can't compete with AMD at $80-$150
6850 after rebate and 13% promo off total 129.99 and free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Yeah,

if your on a cheap budget then defiantly ATI
HD 6770 or the 6850, great cards for cheap price.
March 8, 2012 11:27:35 AM

Jumbo
Model : JB-500WP4

just a cheap PSU :( 
March 8, 2012 11:30:59 AM

is there any difference if i buy ati or nvdia graphic card?
March 8, 2012 11:33:18 AM

azamjong said:
Jumbo
Model : JB-500WP4

just a cheap PSU :( 

I have searched the first 5 pages of google to see what the full specifications of your power supply are, and no results.

I have never heard of the brand before, so it would be a cheap power supply, and it is not good to power a pretty decent video card with a cheap power supply

My recommendation is to upgrade your power supply first. This is a decent power supply and is one of the best brands out there in power supplys
March 8, 2012 11:55:11 AM

okay clear. now I need to change my power supply first.

But then, when it comes to choose graphic card, can I just buy AMD/ATI graphic card because I used Intel processor.

Is there any problem with that combination between Intel processor and AMD graphic card?
March 8, 2012 12:05:27 PM

Yeah of coarse, does not matter what processor you have, you can run either brand
March 8, 2012 12:14:12 PM

can u give me your graphic card suggestion ? i mean more specific for example a product brand :) 
March 8, 2012 12:27:04 PM

Yeah :) 

What type of games will you be running, and also what graphics level do you expect to run them at. For an example low,medium or high ?

Also what processor do you have ?
And also RAM ?
a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2012 12:27:26 PM

Well without any bottlenecking. the GTX 550 ti or a 6770 is gonna be the best you can get probably. Idk maybe NVIDIA Kepler will have a solution for you or the lower end 7000 series when they get here
March 8, 2012 12:32:13 PM

Rockdpm said:
Well without any bottlenecking. the GTX 550 ti or a 6770 is gonna be the best you can get probably. Idk maybe NVIDIA Kepler will have a solution for you or the lower end 7000 series when they get here

Nvidia is out of the question in my own opinion, if he goes with an ATI card he will get better performance for a cheaper price.
In my opinion, the 6770 is a great card, but if he's going to get a new power supply, then he should go for the 6850 or 6870.

March 8, 2012 12:40:45 PM

matt2155 said:
Yeah :) 

What type of games will you be running, and also what graphics level do you expect to run them at. For an example low,medium or high ?

Also what processor do you have ?
And also RAM ?

I plan to play recent games like skyrim, assasin creed 2, battlefield 3, Avatar 2 or something like that. if possible, i'd love to use high graphic level :) .

my processor Intel Pentium Dual Core CPU E5400@2.70GHz with RAM 2 GB DDR2
March 8, 2012 12:57:08 PM

Don't we all want to play in the highest settings haha :) 

Ok, now that will be a problem. Your processor will struggle quite abit playing those games on high. Since your motherboards socket LGA 775 have discontinued making quad core processors, this might be a problem.

You defiantly need to upgrade your ram to 4gb though. From what I just researched about your processor, it will be able to handle todays games, but it will strugle quite abit.

But defiantly upgrade your ram, here is some excellent DDR2 ram:

And defiantly upgrade your power supply:

And to save you money, you should get the ATI 6770 video card to save you money, because you are already buying a new power supply and ram, it will cost you more.
The 6770 is a decent video card, I had the 5770 and it was great and ran all of my games on medium.

Also what motherboard do you have ?
a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2012 1:06:19 PM

I your PSU is fine and has enough ampers or amps [A] to run 6850. It may not be brand name but it does not mean that it is crap either. If and when it gives up than get new one but for now the PSU works and will support 6850 so tehre is no need to shell cash on something that you do not need.
March 8, 2012 1:09:20 PM

matt2155 said:
Don't we all want to play in the highest settings haha :) 

Ok, now that will be a problem. Your processor will struggle quite abit playing those games on high. Since your motherboards socket LGA 775 have discontinued making quad core processors, this might be a problem.

You defiantly need to upgrade your ram to 4gb though. From what I just researched about your processor, it will be able to handle todays games, but it will strugle quite abit.

And to save you money, you should get the ATI 6770 video card to save you money, because you are already buying a new power supply and ram, it will cost you more.
The 6770 is a decent video card, I had the 5770 and it was great and ran all of my games on medium.

Also what motherboard do you have ?

wahh. really appreciate your suggestion!! thank you very much for this information :)  right now, i used Asus P5G41C-M LX

March 8, 2012 1:28:53 PM

and one more thing, what do you mean by my processor will struggle quite a bit ? does that mean it cannot support highest setting for gaming ?
March 8, 2012 1:38:56 PM

maxinexus said:
I your PSU is fine and has enough ampers or amps [A] to run 6850. It may not be brand name but it does not mean that it is crap either. If and when it gives up than get new one but for now the PSU works and will support 6850 so tehre is no need to shell cash on something that you do not need.

Wrong,

I researched it and people had the same question. It does not have enough amps on the 12v Rail. It only has 17amps on the 12v Rail
March 8, 2012 1:41:59 PM

azamjong said:
and one more thing, what do you mean by my processor will struggle quite a bit ? does that mean it cannot support highest setting for gaming ?

Gaming is mainly based on the video cards, it won't downscale your graphics, it will downgrade how smooth the game will run. But from what I researched about that processor it should be fine. With the 6770 video card, you will be able to play most games on medium, the good side of all of this, is that your getting the whole upgrade to play games on medium for only around $200.

a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2012 1:55:30 PM

matt2155 said:
Wrong,

I researched it and people had the same question. It does not have enough amps on the 12v Rail. It only has 17amps on the 12v Rail

Oh boy you are a tough cookie...A 6850 card uses approximately 104W / 12v =8.66A

here is formula buddy :) 

The conversion of Watts to Amps at fixed voltage is governed by the equation Amps = Watts/Volts

For example 12 watts/12 volts = 1 amp
a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2012 1:59:14 PM

If you're considering an HD 6770, you might as well get an HD 7750. It's newer, has the same performance, the same price, and you don't have to worry about stressing your crappy PSU. You'll be able to play almost all games on high but not ultra settings.

I wouldn't advise upgrading your PSU since your CPU would end up bottlenecking a 6850 and up. Believe me, I know - my CPU is equal to yours in gaming. Dual cores are serviceable in most of the newest games, but not ideal. Your Pentium will have trouble playing BF3 and Skyrim on high settings, but other games shouldn't be a problem.
March 8, 2012 2:00:56 PM

maxinexus said:
Oh boy you are a tough cookie...A 6850 card uses approximately 104W / 12v =8.66A

here is formula buddy :) 

The conversion of Watts to Amps at fixed voltage is governed by the equation Amps = Watts/Volts

For example 12 watts/12 volts = 1 amp

If your saying to run a 6850 on a cheap power supply

You wont end up with luck, I had a cheap power supply and I used to have a 5770, 3 months down track, ended up having a red light on the circuit board of the GPU.

Always best to have a decent video card running on a decent power supply otherwise, you don't know what could happen.

I work at a computer shop and we sell computers with Tsunami power supply's which are a crappy brand.

We have had so many people come in due to video card problems about bad power supply's.

This is my recommendation, no one needs to go with it, but its worth it, to save money in the long run.
a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2012 2:05:35 PM

matt2155 said:

I don't see why the OP has to do everything so defiantly. :whistle: 

BUT I definitely agree that 2 more GB RAM is needed.

That and an HD 7750 would fit nicely in OP's budget. Here's a good one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... OR this one if it comes back in stock. I have personal experience with the cooler on the HIS model and it's Amazing. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2012 2:12:30 PM

matt2155 said:
If your saying to run a 6850 on a cheap power supply

You wont end up with luck, I had a cheap power supply and I used to have a 5770, 3 months down track, ended up having a red light on the circuit board of the GPU.

Always best to have a decent video card running on a decent power supply otherwise, you don't know what could happen.

I work at a computer shop and we sell computers with Tsunami power supply's which are a crappy brand.

We have had so many people come in due to video card problems about bad power supply's.

This is my recommendation, no one needs to go with it, but its worth it, to save money in the long run.

I agree with you but the guy is on tight budget and for now his PSU runs good and probably will run good for some time...so there is really no need to get PSU if it runs and will run 6850 without issues. Just because Tsunami PSU are bad does not mean all nonbrands are bad. My mom has my old PC with nonbrand PSU that works just great for past 5 years with a 8800GS
March 8, 2012 2:15:31 PM

maxinexus said:
I agree with you but the guy is on tight budget and for now his PSU runs good and probably will run good for some time...so there is really no need to get PSU if it runs and will run 6850 without issues. Just because Tsunami PSU are bad does not mean all nonbrands are bad. My mom has my old PC with nonbrand PSU that works just great for past 5 years with a 8800GS

Yeah true man

I think it's just personally preference.
a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2012 2:18:55 PM

Also when you get DDR3 put them in black sockets not blue. In addition remember that you can not run DDR2 and DDR3 together so don't even try it!!!
March 8, 2012 3:30:59 PM

thanks to all reply. really help with all information :) 

* also thanks for reminding me the difference between DDR2 and DDR3 socket colour. hehe
March 8, 2012 5:23:21 PM

matt2155 said:
Yeah,

if your on a cheap budget then defiantly ATI
HD 6770 or the 6850, great cards for cheap price.

Cheap budget my hairly arse.

Look at my rig. My budget was $2,000 and I laughed at the Nvidia GPU's at the same price point, especially for dual-card configurations.
!