Should MS Hold Off Releasing The 360?

The delays in getting real hardware into the hands of developers is
really worring to me. I was pretty unimpressed with the E3 demos and
am worried that we are going to be getting pretty weak stuff for
launch.

I've also been reading various developers commenting on how they are
having trouble getting good performance from the 360 hardware. It
seems like MS might want to go back to IBM and see if they can come up
with something better for next year. The MTV and E3 really has put a
damper on my desire for a 360. I really thought that the 360 was going
to be the big one for MS. It really seems like MS is rushing something
out the door.

I don't think the release early strategy is working out. Waiting and
doing things right seems like a better strategy. More powerful
hardware and giving developers more time seems like it would really
give MS a chance to come out on top. Right now it just doesn't look
that promising.

jlc

"Kent Rastin" <krastin@renolds.com> wrote in message
> The delays in getting real hardware into the hands of developers is
> really worring to me. I was pretty unimpressed with the E3 demos and
> am worried that we are going to be getting pretty weak stuff for
> launch.
>
> I've also been reading various developers commenting on how they are
> having trouble getting good performance from the 360 hardware. It
> seems like MS might want to go back to IBM and see if they can come up
> with something better for next year. The MTV and E3 really has put a
> damper on my desire for a 360. I really thought that the 360 was going
> to be the big one for MS. It really seems like MS is rushing something
> out the door.
>
> I don't think the release early strategy is working out. Waiting and
> doing things right seems like a better strategy. More powerful
> hardware and giving developers more time seems like it would really
> give MS a chance to come out on top. Right now it just doesn't look
> that promising.

From what I've read MS is just now shipping the full dev. kits. The ones
that where used up to this point only used 25% of the full power of the
360's chip set. So all the demos that have been seen so far have only been
running at 25% of what they could be running at. Now this could all be MS
BS, but that's what I've read. This months OXM has a good article explaining
some of what's been going on behind the scenes. Again, I'll belive it when I
see it, but that what's being reported. JLC

I still think it's too early to release another console, but I have a
feeling it's coming anyhow.

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 00:21:38 GMT, "Rowdy J" <jkehr@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>I still think it's too early to release another console, but I have a
>feeling it's coming anyhow.

Yes, I think Microsoft is alienating too many current xbox owners. It
sounds like they aren't just releasing early, they are pulling the
plug on the current xbox. That has got to be a negative to current
xbox developers. The other console makers keep selling their old
consoles for cheap for years after their new ones come out.

I really wish they would hold off till Halo 3 was finished and make
that a launch title. Take the time to get BC right now that they've
publicly claimed the 360 would have it. Give developers the time the
need to get things right. And possibly try to get IBM to up the clock
speed or power of the CPU. And finally rethink the inclusion of the
old DVD format for one of the two new formats, there are already
developers claiming the smaller 360 DVD discs will be an issue for
porting their games to the 360.

Take this for what it's worth, but the OXM said that there would be
somewhere around 200 regular Xbox games still coming out even after the 360
is released (I'm paraphrasing, but that was the general idea).

My biggest questions with the 360 is, we now know that only certain games
are going to be backward compatible-but what about the newer games, such as
"From Russia With Love" or any games that come out this holiday? Will they
automatically be backward compatible?