Coax cable to Router's WAN Port


So I was provided a router from Verizon with this exact design:

There is a coax cable that runs into my house that connects to the Router's coax connector. Problem is when I want to switch out to a different router. I came across this product from Amazon:

If I were to purchase this, I would just connect the coax cable to the MoCa, and attach an ethernet cable from the MoCA to the New Router's WAN port?

Coax Cable => MoCA Unit => Router Wan Port
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about coax cable router port
  1. No, those two products are for different uses. The MoCA unit is not a router, it is an extender to use your existing coax to connect a computer of game console in another room without using wireless or running CAT 5 cable.
  2. Best answer
    you will need a Cable Modem convert the signal coming from your ISP to RJ45.

    the MoCA Units will only convert cable to RJ45 but will not do the signal conversion and authentication.
  3. I have one question though, a couple people who bought the above modem said they had to call their ISP to register their modem. Now why is that? My current Actiontec Router has a built in modem with a Static IP assigned to it (provided from Verizon). Wouldn't the static IP just carry over to the new modem/Router?
  4. My cable provider used to register the MAC addresses of all routers before they could get an IP address.
  5. Thank you both for answering my questions.
  6. Best answer selected by invulnarable27.
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers Cable WAN Networking Product