Cooling for my new computer

Ajkster

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Hello there,

I could really need some help right about now, since I just purchase a new computer: (Let me know if you guys need more information)

Case
Corsair Carbide 300R Midi Tower Black Fans: 1x 140mm Front, 1x 120mm Back, ATX, mATX, 2x USB 3.0
Power
Silver Power SP-SS500 500W PSU ATX 12V V2.2, 80 Plus, Standard, 1x 6pin+1x 6+2pin PCIe, 6× SATA, 120mm Fläkt
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770 Processor Socket-LGA1155, Quad Core, 3.4Ghz, 8MB, Boxed w/fan
Motherboard
MSI B75MA-P45, Socket-1155 m-ATX, B75, DDR3, 1xG3-PCIe-x16, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.0, VGA, DVI, UEFI
Memory
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB CL9 Kit w/4x 4GB XMS3 modules, CL9-9-9-24, 1.5V, Vengeance Heatspreader, 240
Graphic
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 670 2GB PhysX CUDA PCI-Express 3.0, GDDR5, DVI-D+DVI-I, native-HDMI, DisplayPort
Harddrive SSD
Samsung SSD 830 Series 128GB 2.5" OEM SATA 6Gb/s (SATA3.0) 520MB/320MB/s read/write, Basic Kit

I should also mentioned that it is being shipped at the moment, so I haven't had the chance to test it yet.

Now my question is: Am I cool enough? I've been reading all over the place but cant really find anything applicable for my situation. What kind of cooling do others use? Should I go water cooling or simply fill my case with fans? I also have no idea how to use that cooling-cream-thing (can't remember what it's called, not native in English). Or there other ways to cool it, since I really want this new baby of mine to handle at least a few years of gaming.

As you can see, I am pretty lost, so any links to where I can read up on this, tips, ANYTHING is apprieciated.

noise

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2012
Stock fans on your CPU and GPU are fine provided you don't overclock (or not much). Most people look at aftermarket coolers when using significant overclocks or noise is the issue.

Water cooling can be expensive and the value vs air cooling is pretty poor. I like Arctic Cooling products but there are others.

I think by cooling cream you mean thermal paste? (and not Anusol ;) ) There are plenty of online guides in regarding this - its not a big deal that you should worry about.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Assuming that is the i7-3770 and not an i7-3770K, then you'll be fine with the Intel stock cooler. Of course, getting an aftermarket cooler like the Hyper-212 or a closed-loop water cooler like the H60 will improve upon the cooling the stock Intel heatsink can provide. Not essential though (but if you work your system hard for long periods, I'd recommend it).

There are different schools of thought on case cooling, but I generally go for more intakes than exhausts, so there is positive pressure inside the case. That stops dust ingress through cracks in the chassis panels etc. The 300R comes with 3 fans, so that should be enough to get you started.

Ajkster

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Ok, thanks! And no, I wasn't planning on overclocking or anything, just want it to not break down in a couple of years due to heating problems (as my laptop recently did). And also yes I know laptops are totally different! :p

Yeah thermal paste is what I meant! But then I will not worry about that! :)

So if I understood this right, I should have enough cooling, from the fans provided. And if I do want to do something I should simply put in a fan or two on the case and not woory about specific CPU cooling etc etc?

Thanks!

EDIT:: I AM planning to use it for gaming, which does mean working hard for a long time.

noise

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2012
The 300r is only 2 fans not 3 (which I find just fine) but I would agree with diellur regarding a positive pressure. A negative pressure is definite no-no in terms of cooling. Hadn't thought about dust, thumbs up on that diellur!

noise

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2012
n answer to your second post, I think you'll notice noise issues before you worry about too much heat/system stability. I would look at the CPU/GPU coolers at this point. Yes more case fans may help but not as much as CPU/GPU coolers.

A word of warning, some air cooled CPU coolers will partially cover your RAM slots. If you have tall heat sinks on your RAM (which I think you do) they may not fit. At that point I'd consider an integrated water cooler like the H80 or H100.

Ajkster

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Okidoki, thanks a bunch, definitely got some more meat on my bones now! I think I will look into a CPU cooler, any words of advice, so I know they will fit? (Other than them covering the ram) Not only space-wise but fitting-wise as well. Or should I simply ask the personnel from where ever I buy the cooler?

(And also my room-mate does not a CPU-cooler which makes me want one more)