Weird Noises + Black Scren

nemkemanija

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Hello there. I decided to post a thread here, Cause I couldn't find any solution on Google. So, the problem I have is:
I start playing a game, I play it for about an hour or more (The problem is random) and then all of a sudden there's a weird noise (The only way I can describe it is "trrrrrrrrrrrr") and the screen goes black. After that, Nothing works, I'm forced to restart my computer. I'm running Memtest as I write this,btw.
I'm pretty sure that it's not overheating issue, because I've got new cooling and my computer is at constant 45-50 Celsius degrees.
My specs are these:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHZ , 3.00GHZ
RAM Memory = 2GB.
32Bit Operating System
nVidia gForce 9800 GT

Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

PS: I put Graphic Cards as the sub-category, Cause I honestly have no idea whats the nature of my problem :3

nemkemanija

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Mate, I have no idea. I just know that my PSU is between 450-500W. I think its 460... or something. But I'm 150% sure It's not heating issue.

nemkemanija

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Well, my PSU is 4 years old. I haven't changed it since I bought the PC. Don't hit me D: I know I'm stupid for not changing it xD
Mate, i have no idea what brand it is. It just says CoolerMaster and 460. The rest is just a row of serial numbers :3

nemkemanija

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
I'm in Serbia, Europe. What do you mean "What is my budget for the upgrade". If you're asking me if I can afford a new PSU right now, The answer is "No".. Unfortunately..

nemkemanija

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Anything else I can do to fix this? I was just playing a game, and it happened again. It's making me wanna eat my PC...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Take the side cover off the case and run with it off. The system will run cooler and that should help for now. Also, make sure you remove any dust and hairballs that have accumulated in the case as well.

Good luck!

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
+1 on the PSU. Sounds like its peak output has dropped to the point where it's no longer able to power the system reliably. Once it heats up, you're getting fluctuations and crashes.

If there are any components in the computer you don't need, like optical drives or extra hard drives, you can disconnect those from the PSU to get some more life out of it until an upgrade.

nemkemanija

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Ah, I fixed the problem myself. I had an extra FAN inside my case that wasn't plugged in. I plugged it in and placed it under my Graphic card. Been playing Battlefield 3 for almost 4 hours, and no crash.Yay! <3

nemkemanija

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Yes, I know. My graphic card is ice-cold now, So no problems so far. I'll get a new PSU as fast as possible. Thanks you so much, COL.