Sign in with
Your question

Need for a new video card in my desktop

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 8, 2012 1:18:52 PM

Hello, I have a Gateway desktop that is approaching 10 years old. I am ready to buy a new laptop to serve as both my desktop (using my relatively new large flat screen monitor) and a full sized keyboard) and a laptop. My laptop is also old and close to death. However, I am trying to hold out for Windows 8. Would you suggest me replacing the video card in my desktop to keep the screen from 'rolling' when I scroll to get a few more months of life out of it, or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new computer and upgrade to Windows 8 when it comes out. I have XP at the moment, because my old desktop will not support Windows 7. Thanks.

More about : video card desktop

March 8, 2012 1:58:17 PM

Quote:
Buy a new desktop, I believe your motherboard is AGP and AGP graphic cards aren't for sell anymore.

Uh...yes they are...here's a list from newegg....... http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

But,it seems a lot of them are out of stock...you could try tiger direct or NCIX US
m
l
Related resources
March 15, 2012 11:17:07 AM

Quote:
Buy a new desktop, I believe your motherboard is AGP and AGP graphic cards aren't for sell anymore.
Thanks for the help. I did finally decide to buy a new and powerful laptop which is being built and I will get it later in March. I appreciate your information.
m
l
March 15, 2012 11:20:02 AM

teaser said:
Uh...yes they are...here's a list from newegg....... http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

But,it seems a lot of them are out of stock...you could try tiger direct or NCIX US
Thanks for the site. I just decided I can't live with all the other issues my desktop is having, so I bought a high-end laptop which will be delivered the end of the month. A techie friend of mine suggested that I should wait with Windows 8 and not buyit as soon as it comes out anyway until they get any bugs out of it. I appreciate your time.
m
l
!