How to change the default file naming from upper case to l..

December 18, 2004 10:43:01 AM

I am running XP Pro, but I notice that Win2K does the same thing. Whenever I
save a file, attempting to use lower case (web server does not like uppercase
file names), after I get done renaming the files in lower case and copy/paste
them to a new folder, Windows renames them in upper case. This is very
annoying and takes quite a lot of my time. Is there a solution? ... Thanks!
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 12:17:47 PM

XP doesn't care if it's upper, lower or mixed case.

How do I convert a file name to lowercase
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBQ/tip8300/rh8379.htm

How do I convert a file name to lowercase
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBB/tip0500/rh0568.htm

IIS?

Enabling Network File System Support
Enabling NFS support so filename case is preserved
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/iis/6/...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:045538AA-C986-4F68-A9F1-D04E759B7532@microsoft.com,
Brad <Brad@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I am running XP Pro, but I notice that Win2K does the same thing.
> Whenever I save a file, attempting to use lower case (web server does
> not like uppercase file names), after I get done renaming the files
> in lower case and copy/paste them to a new folder, Windows renames
> them in upper case. This is very annoying and takes quite a lot of my
> time. Is there a solution? ... Thanks!
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 9:56:27 AM

"Brad" <Brad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
| I am running XP Pro, but I notice that Win2K does the same thing. Whenever I
| save a file, attempting to use lower case (web server does not like uppercase
| file names), after I get done renaming the files in lower case and copy/paste
| them to a new folder, Windows renames them in upper case. This is very
| annoying and takes quite a lot of my time. Is there a solution? ... Thanks!

Start
Run
regedit
Enter

Navigate to the following key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

What is the data in the REG_DWORD value DontPrettyPath ?
Related resources
December 20, 2004 8:33:01 PM

the value is (0)

"a nonymous" wrote:

> "Brad" <Brad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> | I am running XP Pro, but I notice that Win2K does the same thing. Whenever I
> | save a file, attempting to use lower case (web server does not like uppercase
> | file names), after I get done renaming the files in lower case and copy/paste
> | them to a new folder, Windows renames them in upper case. This is very
> | annoying and takes quite a lot of my time. Is there a solution? ... Thanks!
>
> Start
> Run
> regedit
> Enter
>
> Navigate to the following key:
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
>
> What is the data in the REG_DWORD value DontPrettyPath ?

Anonymous
December 21, 2004 2:39:22 PM

| > "Brad" <Brad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
| > | I am running XP Pro, but I notice that Win2K does the same thing. Whenever I
| > | save a file, attempting to use lower case (web server does not like uppercase
| > | file names), after I get done renaming the files in lower case and copy/paste
| > | them to a new folder, Windows renames them in upper case. This is very
| > | annoying and takes quite a lot of my time. Is there a solution? ... Thanks!

| "a nonymous" wrote:
| > Start
| > Run
| > regedit
| > Enter
| > Navigate to the following key:
| > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
| > What is the data in the REG_DWORD value DontPrettyPath ?

"Brad" <Brad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
| the value is (0)

Try a value of 1
December 21, 2004 2:39:23 PM

I think that may have done it (at least on the work machine I have, running
W2K. I'll try same on the home unit. Thanks!

!