Sign in with
Your question

Computer will turn on for a split second then off. )'=

Last response: in Components
August 28, 2012 1:56:49 PM

Hello. I'm trying to figure out what happened to my computer. I was playing Minecraft then all of a sudden it randomly shut off. When I tried to turn it back on my LEDs on my fans would light up move a little bit then turn off within a split second. I would turn the switch off on the back then turn it back on and it would do it again. After that It would not even turn on for that second. The light on my mouse wheel stay on though. But nothing else will turn on. I am very worried. It really sucks to have something you have built break. I have had my computer for 5 months. If anything is broken I REALLY hope it is the power supply. That is all I can afford

System specs.
CPU- I5 2500k Not OC'd With the hyper 212 cpu cooler.
RAM- G-skill Sniper 8GB
MOBO- GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA
GPU-GTX 570 Not OC'd
HDD- WD Caviar black 500GB
PSU- Corsair TX 750 Bronze certified.

More about : computer turn split

a b ) Power supply
August 28, 2012 1:59:10 PM

Does your comp turn on?

Try running off the integrated graphics.
August 28, 2012 2:05:27 PM

Not exactly. The LEDs on the fan will only light up for a second and spin half way then just turn off. And I tried that already. Same thing. Did this with my RAM as well.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
August 28, 2012 2:07:22 PM

Have you tried 'breadboarding', basically testing it outside the board with basic components like CPU and RAM and see if it works.
August 28, 2012 2:09:50 PM

I did this when I was first building my computer. But No I have not. I unplugged my GPU and HDD and tried But nothing works. Once it turns on for that second it takes a while to do it again. But ut never TURNS on exactly.
a b ) Power supply
August 28, 2012 2:16:18 PM

The most common cause of random shutdown and boot-looping in a formerly working system is a failing/bad PSU.
August 28, 2012 2:20:49 PM

If it is my PSU then good. But my scroll wheel light on my mouse stays on the whole time. If it is the PSU then I am going to upgrade it to a Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold series 800 watt. But I don't want to buy it and it not worke.
a b ) Power supply
August 28, 2012 3:39:40 PM

Kuhramool said:
But my scroll wheel light on my mouse stays on the whole time.

The mouse's USB port is probably powered from the 5VSB supply. It will turn on once it gets initialized and will say on until the computer tells it to go into standby, the mouse is disconnected or the PSU is physically turned off. (120/240V hard-switch or unplugged)
August 28, 2012 6:57:48 PM

InvalidError said:
The mouse's USB port is probably powered from the 5VSB supply. It will turn on once it gets initialized and will say on until the computer tells it to go into standby, the mouse is disconnected or the PSU is physically turned off. (120/240V hard-switch or unplugged)

So would it be my PSU? I checked my Mobo for any missing screws and stuff. But it worked fine the whole time so I don't see why it would start to short out
August 28, 2012 7:40:31 PM

I had this problem with the fans. For me the issues was with the connectors. Jamming it in got it going in the end. I get the impression power draw from the graphics card or having too many peripherals drawing too much power from a low power psu can cause the same issue
a b ) Power supply
August 28, 2012 7:53:55 PM

Kuhramool said:
So would it be my PSU?

That would be what I would start testing from if you can borrow a known-good PSU from elsewhere.

Re-seating connectors as Starfish suggested does not cost anything so I suppose you could start with that just to make sure you have no loose connections and that all plugs are fully inserted.
August 28, 2012 8:03:32 PM

InvalidError said:
That would be what I would start testing from if you can borrow a known-good PSU from elsewhere.

Re-seating connectors as Starfish suggested does not cost anything so I suppose you could start with that just to make sure you have no loose connections and that all plugs are fully inserted.

I took my PSU out and plugged the connectors to my GPU Mobo and CPU still nothing. The light on my Mobo does not turn on either. So is it my Mobo that is messed up? (I hope not)
August 28, 2012 8:05:04 PM

I think you may find it is motherboard BIOS failure. I have had endless trouble with Gigabyte Boards failing in this manner. The symptoms have always been a brief spin of the cooling fans followed by immediate shut down. It is probable that the timing of your machine shutting down is when the BIOS is supposed to kick in?

The board should still be under warranty.
August 28, 2012 8:15:43 PM

Its the mobo. I had the exact same issue 6 months ago. Turned on, three seconds later off. I breadboarded, didn't do it, I then RMA'd the PSU, nope, still happened. I chucked out the mobo and put in a more modern quad too. Bullseye! Everything fine.
August 28, 2012 8:43:43 PM

Smeg45 said:
Its the mobo. I had the exact same issue 6 months ago. Turned on, three seconds later off. I breadboarded, didn't do it, I then RMA'd the PSU, nope, still happened. I chucked out the mobo and put in a more modern quad too. Bullseye! Everything fine.

It could be that or the PSU. I prefer to think that it's the PSU I grabbed an old computer and plugged the PSU into that and that did not even work. If it is my Mobo. that would require me to throw out allot of money.
August 28, 2012 8:54:37 PM

Wamphryi said:
I think you may find it is motherboard BIOS failure. I have had endless trouble with Gigabyte Boards failing in this manner. The symptoms have always been a brief spin of the cooling fans followed by immediate shut down. It is probable that the timing of your machine shutting down is when the BIOS is supposed to kick in?

The board should still be under warranty.

It's not under warranty anymore.
August 28, 2012 9:36:34 PM

Ok so I did the Paperclip thing with my PSU turned it on. And it spun for a second then stopped so I guess it is my PSU that is dead yeah?
Edit: If I keep tapping one side of the paperclip to the power cable it will stay on untill I leave it in there. Even with the PSU unplugged
a b ) Power supply
August 28, 2012 10:24:45 PM

Kuhramool said:
Edit: If I keep tapping one side of the paperclip to the power cable it will stay on untill I leave it in there. Even with the PSU unplugged

The PWR_ON pin requires continuous contact for the PSU to stay on and you will be able to "start" the PSU for as long as the primary storage caps inside the PSU still have enough energy to power the 5VSB supply that feeds the PSU's PWR_ON bootstrap circuitry.
August 28, 2012 10:50:28 PM

InvalidError said:
The PWR_ON pin requires continuous contact for the PSU to stay on and you will be able to "start" the PSU for as long as the primary storage caps inside the PSU still have enough energy to power the 5VSB supply that feeds the PSU's PWR_ON bootstrap circuitry.

So it is dead or what? Should I just buy a new one?
August 28, 2012 11:04:44 PM

Still think its the mobo.
a b ) Power supply
August 28, 2012 11:07:18 PM

Kuhramool said:
So it is dead or what? Should I just buy a new one?

If you plug the PSU in, plug a fan in it and then keep the PWR_ON pin shorted to enable the PWM circuitry, the PSU should stay on for as long as you keep PWR_ON shorted. This is normal operation.

If you momentarily short PWR_ON, the PSU shuts down since PWR_ON is an active-low control signal to turn on the main PWM.
August 28, 2012 11:08:27 PM

Smeg45 said:
Still think its the mobo.

How could it be that when it was running perfectly fine? If it's that it will cost me double compared to the PSU. I checked my PSU with the paperclip and it would only move a quarter of the way. It won't stay on.
a b ) Power supply
August 28, 2012 11:50:51 PM

Kuhramool said:
I checked my PSU with the paperclip and it would only move a quarter of the way. It won't stay on.

Did you hold the paper clip to keep the PWR_ON ATX pin shorted to ground? As I said in my previous post, this is an active-low input, you have to hold it low to keep the PSU turned on.

If the PSU still turns off no matter what you do then you either have a PSU loading problem (not enough load to let the PSU operate normally) or you have a defective PSU.
August 29, 2012 12:02:47 AM

InvalidError said:
Did you hold the paper clip to keep the PWR_ON ATX pin shorted to ground? As I said in my previous post, this is an active-low input, you have to hold it low to keep the PSU turned on.

If the PSU still turns off no matter what you do then you either have a PSU loading problem (not enough load to let the PSU operate normally) or you have a defective PSU.

Yes It would only spin for a second then stop. I tried it both ways without the fan. If it's my PSU i heard no pop or burning smell the time it just randomly stopped working. It just happened out of the blue.

I also changed my thermal paste and re seated my cooler to see if that was it just for hopes and it was not. I am planning on getting the Corsair HX 750 Watt gold plus certified. Since my other was a Bronze. I have been trying to save for a Gtx 670. This sucks.
!