Sign in with
Your question

AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition for Gaming?

Last response: in CPUs
August 28, 2012 2:17:26 PM

Hello, this is my first post on this website!

Anyway, I am looking to build a gaming computer! But I don't particularly want to go over €850, but preferably stay under €800!

So anyway, I can get the processor for €102.95, and also I might get the MSI GTX660 Ti,

So anyway, onto my question!
Will this CPU bottleneck the GPU?
I've heard of a few people "unlocking" cores, and I was wondering is this possible on the said CPU?
Has anyone had any previous experience with this CPU, could they give me a short review?

Anyway, I know this is a fairly old CPU, but on most of the benchmarks I've seen it performed better than the new bulldozer range, and at the moment my budget isn't really stretching to be able to afford the i5 2500k as I originally planned!

Thank you very much!
Dylan :sol: 
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2012 2:25:36 PM

Well, depending on the type of games you'll be playing and the time you would need to get some more money, is the thing you should do IMO.

For instance, you could still get an Intel gaming rig (if you really want to), using a cheaper CPU from Intel, but keeping a good Mother Board (the Asus Sabertooth Z77, for example).

When you have enough money down the road, you could get an i5 2500k (or it's IB sibling) or even an i7 2700k if you find one and sell your current CPU for cheap.

On the meantime, I can assure you that an i5 2300 would be enough to push that GTX660ti with no problems in most games.

If you can't and have to do with what you have now, the 965 is a very good CPU for what its worth, but you'll have to do some overclocking to really make it worthy. I have mine at 3.97Ghz pushing a GTX670 and it does seem to cut the max frame rate by a lot, but still manages to give me smooth gameplay all the time.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
August 28, 2012 2:34:18 PM

Yuka said:
Well, depending on the type of games you'll be playing and the time you would need to get some more money, is the thing you should do IMO.

For instance, you could still get an Intel gaming rig (if you really want to), using a cheaper CPU from Intel, but keeping a good Mother Board (the Asus Sabertooth Z77, for example).

When you have enough money down the road, you could get an i5 2500k (or it's IB sibling) or even an i7 2700k if you find one and sell your current CPU for cheap.

On the meantime, I can assure you that an i5 2300 would be enough to push that GTX660ti with no problems in most games.

If you can't and have to do with what you have now, the 965 is a very good CPU for what its worth, but you'll have to do some overclocking to really make it worthy. I have mine at 3.97Ghz pushing a GTX670 and it does seem to cut the max frame rate by a lot, but still manages to give me smooth gameplay all the time.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Hello! Thanks for you're reply! I'd be looking to play some Left 4 Dead 2, Battlefield 3, GTA IV and also some CoD, can I ask you what FPS you get in the games you play?:) 
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2012 3:04:35 PM

I don't have BF3 (hate Origin), but in all the others, capped at 60 all the time (vsync on). GTA IV gets a little choppy sometimes, but nothing un-playable.

Cheers!
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 28, 2012 3:06:34 PM

The Phenom II is pretty good for gaming. I had a Phenom II X6 1090t in my rig before I upgraded to the FX-8120 and it did really good. I built a rig for a friend that used the 965 and it was able to keep up with the 1090t in most games so you should not have any problems fitted with a good GPU you could have a really good gaming rig. As for the FX I have found it to be much better in every way than my 1090t.

a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 28, 2012 3:07:34 PM

Sabertooth Z77s are stupidly overpriced, you can get a board much cheaper with the same exact features in an Asrock Z77 Extreme 6.

But in answer to your question, an overclocked Phenom II will keep up with a 660 TI most of the time.
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 28, 2012 3:09:58 PM

dg1598 said:
Hello! Thanks for you're reply! I'd be looking to play some Left 4 Dead 2, Battlefield 3, GTA IV and also some CoD, can I ask you what FPS you get in the games you play?:) 

All of the COD games are easily maxed out and played at well over 60FPS, these are not very demanding games.

Left4Dead is not that demanding either, GTA IV, shouldn't run into problems, none of these games are really that CPU intensive. Yes some say GTA IV is, but its a 4 year old game... BF3 is more GPU dependent that CPU dependent.

---
Yuka said:

I've had an i5-2300. A Phenom II @ 4.0GHZ outperforms it. As far as buying a CPU now with the intention of upgrading it later.. Well... its bad enough when people buy an i3 and upgrade it to an i5, buy the CPU that meets your needs in the first place, instead of wasting money like that.
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 28, 2012 3:24:40 PM

Quote:
I've heard of a few people "unlocking" cores, and I was wondering is this possible on the said CPU?
Has anyone had any previous experience with this CPU, could they give me a short review?

There are no cores to be unlocked on the Deneb x4 Phenom IIs. Yes, there are some models which allow you to unlock disabled cores on the die, for example 960T Phenom IIs can often be unlocked into a full 6 core processor, since the Thubans have 6 cores on the die and the 960T ship with 2 disabled.. But in the case of the Deneb quad cores like the 965, there simply is nothing physically there to unlock.

You might be approaching this the wrong way though. You could get an i5-3450 if it fits your price range, no it can't be overclocked, but it really doesn't *need* to be in order to keep up with a 660 TI.
August 28, 2012 3:55:13 PM

bryonhowley said:
The Phenom II is pretty good for gaming. I had a Phenom II X6 1090t in my rig before I upgraded to the FX-8120 and it did really good. I built a rig for a friend that used the 965 and it was able to keep up with the 1090t in most games so you should not have any problems fitted with a good GPU you could have a really good gaming rig. As for the FX I have found it to be much better in every way than my 1090t.

Thanks very much! Did you overclock it? If so how was your experience with that, was it particularly difficult? I'm planning on going with the ASRock Extreme3 Mobo? Is this a good choice? It's very cheap at only €83, so this is the reason I picked it! :na: 
August 28, 2012 3:55:44 PM

Yuka said:
I don't have BF3 (hate Origin), but in all the others, capped at 60 all the time (vsync on). GTA IV gets a little choppy sometimes, but nothing un-playable.

Cheers!

Thanks very much for your help! I shall stick to the planned €800 gaming rig!:) 
August 28, 2012 3:59:45 PM

nekulturny said:
Quote:

There are no cores to be unlocked on the Deneb x4 Phenom IIs. Yes, there are some models which allow you to unlock disabled cores on the die, for example 960T Phenom IIs can often be unlocked into a full 6 core processor, since the Thubans have 6 cores on the die and the 960T ship with 2 disabled.. But in the case of the Deneb quad cores like the 965, there simply is nothing physically there to unlock.

You might be approaching this the wrong way though. You could get an i5-3450 if it fits your price range, no it can't be overclocked, but it really doesn't *need* to be in order to keep up with a 660 TI.

Thanks for your multiple posts/replies, I have decided to go with the following parts;

CPU - AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4Ghz Black Edition
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB
RAM - Corsair XMS3 DIMM 8GB 1600Mhz
MOBO - ASRock 970 Extreme 3
PSU - Corsair Enthusiast TX750 V2
CASE - Thermaltake V4 Black Edition Mid Tower

Some extras
------------------
Extra Fan - Scythe Slip Stream 120mm 1600rpm
CPU Cooler - Coolermaster Hyper Evo 212 - 120mm
DVD Burner - Asus 24B5ST

Total Price is;
€802.15

Do you have any input on this?:)  I would really like to keep the price at around €800 though, and upgrading to a 670 isnt an option as its too pricey!:) 
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 28, 2012 4:14:41 PM

Its not a bad setup, uhh.. you don't really need the extra fan. Also, you would be just fine with a TX650 V2, should be a little cheaper than the 750. Yes, I have a 750 watt version, but I did that mainly because I got it on sale. The 212 Evo is a great CPU cooler, I would keep that.
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2012 4:21:37 PM

You should be fine with a 965BE
August 28, 2012 4:23:36 PM

nekulturny said:
Its not a bad setup, uhh.. you don't really need the extra fan. Also, you would be just fine with a TX650 V2, should be a little cheaper than the 750. Yes, I have a 750 watt version, but I did that mainly because I got it on sale. The 212 Evo is a great CPU cooler, I would keep that.

I thought the fan would improve the air circulation, also its only €16? Also, I got the 750 watt because it has 2 6pin plugs, does the 650 watt have that too?:) 

Thanks a lot! You're help is really appreciated!
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2012 7:34:52 PM

nekulturny said:
All of the COD games are easily maxed out and played at well over 60FPS, these are not very demanding games.

Left4Dead is not that demanding either, GTA IV, shouldn't run into problems, none of these games are really that CPU intensive. Yes some say GTA IV is, but its a 4 year old game... BF3 is more GPU dependent that CPU dependent.

---

I've had an i5-2300. A Phenom II @ 4.0GHZ outperforms it. As far as buying a CPU now with the intention of upgrading it later.. Well... its bad enough when people buy an i3 and upgrade it to an i5, buy the CPU that meets your needs in the first place, instead of wasting money like that.
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/198/i52300vphenomiiat4ghz.jpg

Here is my own testing as well :p 

Single threaded, the i5 2300 is better (thanks to the turbo) and in threaded, thanks to better scaling and lower turbo, the 965 is better.

And if you plan to OC the 965 in a serious way (past the 3.8Ghz), then you'll need good cooling (like a hyper 212 evo) and a good PSU. In the PSU department, I use a TT Toughpower 850W if you want a reference and a TT Frio for cooling; it never goes beyond 57°c.

Cheers!
August 28, 2012 9:01:37 PM

Yuka said:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8247566/cine_3.98ghz_TuneUP_64bits.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8247566/cine_i5-2300_64bits.jpg

Single threaded, the i5 2300 is better (thanks to the turbo) and in threaded, thanks to better scaling and lower turbo, the 965 is better.

And if you plan to OC the 965 in a serious way (past the 3.8Ghz), then you'll need good cooling (like a hyper 212 evo) and a good PSU. In the PSU department, I use a TT Toughpower 850W if you want a reference and a TT Frio for cooling; it never goes beyond 57°c.

Cheers!

Already have the 212 in my cart! :)  Hoping to get it up to 4ghz? Is this too optimistic..? Those results look great and for under €100 it seems like a brilliant bargain to me!
August 28, 2012 9:10:46 PM

dg1598 said:
Hello, this is my first post on this website!

Anyway, I am looking to build a gaming computer! But I don't particularly want to go over €850, but preferably stay under €800!

So anyway, I can get the processor for €102.95, and also I might get the MSI GTX660 Ti,

So anyway, onto my question!
Will this CPU bottleneck the GPU?

Anyway, I know this is a fairly old CPU, but on most of the benchmarks I've seen it performed better than the new bulldozer range, and at the moment my budget isn't really stretching to be able to afford the i5 2500k as I originally planned!

Thank you very much!
Dylan :sol: 

Bottleneck ? It shouldn't, but in some games at high res maybe... or in future games.

Also as you are using € I assume you are from Europe, in Amazon, at least at Amazon.es you can find AMD 965BE for 91,95€ and a very good mobo, Asus M599X EVO for 112,18€ this should give you more cash to spend on the GPU and also let you upgrade your CPU without switching mobos in a future.

Take into account a bit less than 50€ for the ram, 50-60€ for the case and 70-80€ for the PSU, CD 20€, HDD 90€ and you are still under 500€, 300€ left for the 660ti
August 28, 2012 9:33:43 PM

Dangi said:
Bottleneck ? It shouldn't, but in some games at high res maybe... or in future games.

Also as you are using € I assume you are from Europe, in Amazon, at least at Amazon.es you can find AMD 965BE for 91,95€ and a very good mobo, Asus M599X EVO for 112,18€ this should give you more cash to spend on the GPU and also let you upgrade your CPU without switching mobos in a future.

Take into account a bit less than 50€ for the ram, 50-60€ for the case and 70-80€ for the PSU, CD 20€, HDD 90€ and you are still under 500€, 300€ left for the 660ti

Hello! Yes I'm Irish!:)  Ordering on Amazon is no good due to shipping! On this website her komplett.ie I get free shipping due to the fact it's an Irish company in Ireland!:) 

Heres the prices I'm getting;
CPU - 102
GPU - 309 (Includes borderlands 2, also I could get the superclocked version for €10 more but I dont see the point really)
PSU - 65
Case - 48 (Thermaltake v4 Black Edition Mid Tower)
RAM - 56 (8GB 1600mhz corsair)
MOBO - 85 (ASRock Extreme3)
CD - 29
HDD - 60
CPU Cooler - 38
Thermal Paste - 10

(All prices rounded off)

So that adds up to €802 and the actual price in the cart is €805.45

I have no monitor as I'm intending to use a 32" LCD TV through HDMI - Does anyone thing I shouldnt do this? I kind've have to at the minute as I dont have it in my budget for a monitor, also the TV is a Sharp and it will run at 1920x1080 :) 
August 28, 2012 9:45:27 PM

if you can add a 212 EVO into that so you can OC wihtout worries ( no hard OC )
August 28, 2012 10:07:32 PM

Dangi said:
if you can add a 212 EVO into that so you can OC wihtout worries ( no hard OC )

It already is! Its the item listed for 38 :) 
August 28, 2012 10:11:04 PM

Then the only think I would teak is the mobo, as I said before try going 990X or 990FX so you can put later a new CPU without changing the mobo ( yours support BD ) and having more phases, 4+1 looks a bit poor for OC stability
August 28, 2012 11:01:24 PM

Dangi said:
Then the only think I would teak is the mobo, as I said before try going 990X or 990FX so you can put later a new CPU without changing the mobo ( yours support BD ) and having more phases, 4+1 looks a bit poor for OC stability

I honestly would If I could but the only way I could afford it is by downgrading the GPU.. and I'd rather keep it to be honest! :) 
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 28, 2012 11:30:15 PM

Yuka said:

Cheers!

Yea, I never ran single thread on Max's computer, and he took it when he left me so its not gonna happen now. But, of course, I got 1.18 single thread too. They're pretty close, especially considering theres a $50 price difference between em. (the 2300 and 965), you can guess which one gets my vote.

As far as the PSU, a strong 500 watt PSU is sufficient to overclock, depending on the video card. You could go GTX 670 with an overclocked Phenom II on something like a Corsair CX500v2.

And yes, a 212 Evo is sufficient to max out a Phenom II OC (they tend to top out at 4.0-4.4GHZ area), a more aggressive cooling solution isn't necessary.

As far as a motherboard with a better Power Phase design, can you afford this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Open box deal from newegg, and yes, I can confirm Asus does honor the warranty on them.
August 29, 2012 12:57:59 AM

nekulturny said:
Yea, I never ran single thread on Max's computer, and he took it when he left me so its not gonna happen now. But, of course, I got 1.18 single thread too. They're pretty close, especially considering theres a $50 price difference between em. (the 2300 and 965), you can guess which one gets my vote.

As far as the PSU, a strong 500 watt PSU is sufficient to overclock, depending on the video card. You could go GTX 670 with an overclocked Phenom II on something like a Corsair CX500v2.

And yes, a 212 Evo is sufficient to max out a Phenom II OC (they tend to top out at 4.0-4.4GHZ area), a more aggressive cooling solution isn't necessary.

As far as a motherboard with a better Power Phase design, can you afford this one?

Open box deal from newegg, and yes, I can confirm Asus does honor the warranty on them.

After doing a bit of research Im going to downgrade the GPU from the 660ti to AMDs 7870 Ghz Edition :)  I will save roughly 40 or 50 euro so I'll stretch out a bit more on the mobo! ill have a look on komplett.ie and see if that one is on it :) 
August 29, 2012 1:02:12 AM

nekulturny said:

Unfortunately that mobo isnt on komplett, how does this one look? http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/amd_socket_am3(%2b)/20100963/asrock_970_extreme4_socket_am3%2b_atx/details.aspx If that one still isnt good enough, heres another for just €7 more; http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/amd_socket_am3(%2b)/20100964/asrock_990fx_extreme3_socket_am3%2b_atx/details.aspx

If none of those suit, try looking on the site and around the €100 price is the highest im willing to go or I amnt even saving money on the GPU cutback!! :kaola: 
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2012 1:18:49 AM

Oh, the MoBo is not a minor part. The cheap 970 or 980 chipset ones don't support 125W+ CPUs, so beware on that.

Now, this link says the MoBo you picked does support the 965:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Extreme4/?cat=CPU

I wonder how far you'll be able to OC it though.

The 990FX includes just full dual PCIe v2 X16 for SLI or FXire, but nothing more, really. If the other features are compelling to you, I'd say spend the extra €10.

Cheers!

EDIT: Typo
August 29, 2012 1:48:16 AM

Yuka said:
Oh, the MoBo is not a minor part. The cheap 970 or 980 chipset ones don't support 125W+ CPUs, so beware on that.

Now, this link says the MoBo you picked does support the 965:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Extreme4/?cat=CPU

I wonder how far you'll be able to OC it though.

The 990FX includes just full dual PCIe v2 X16 for SLI or FXire, but nothing more, really. If the other features are compelling to you, I'd say spend the extra €10.

Cheers!

EDIT: Typo

I amnt planning on SLI or Crossfire anytime soon so should I go with the extreme4?:) 
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2012 2:01:47 AM

Yeah, since it's not such a big difference, might as well get the 990FX based one.

Now, depending on the video card you choose now, that PSU might become too tight on the power for 2 GPUs. So keep that in mind as well.

Cheers!

EDIT: You didn't list the specs for the PSU, can you provide a link?
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 29, 2012 2:43:57 AM

dg1598 said:
After doing a bit of research Im going to downgrade the GPU from the 660ti to AMDs 7870 Ghz Edition :)  I will save roughly 40 or 50 euro so I'll stretch out a bit more on the mobo! ill have a look on komplett.ie and see if that one is on it :) 

Not a bad deal, actually the 7870 GHZ edition performs as well as the 660 TI for the most part, so its not really a downgrade. I'm looking at getting one myself here to replace my 550 TI.

Yes, the mobo is definitely important. Although I don't know of any 970 or 990 chipsets that don't support 125 watt TDP These are the most modern chipsets for AMD CPUs, so they should all have it. The one I linked you to, shame they don't have it, thats a great overclocking board at a decent price.

The asrock Extreme 4 isn't bad. As far as Crossfire/Sli. Honestly, I wouldn't concern yourself with it too much. Usually say 2 or 3 years from now, its probably going to better just to replace your video card with a single better one. In this case, in 2-3 years the 7870 will be 2 generations old.

But yea, for dual 7870s, you'll probably want a good 700-750 watt PSU.
August 29, 2012 2:45:07 AM

Yuka said:
Yeah, since it's not such a big difference, might as well get the 990FX based one.

Now, depending on the video card you choose now, that PSU might become too tight on the power for 2 GPUs. So keep that in mind as well.

Cheers!

EDIT: You didn't list the specs for the PSU, can you provide a link?

heres the psu!:)  http://komplett.ie/site/catalog/itemdetail.aspx?ItemNo=...

It comes with two 6pins, and the GPU needs two :)  I dont see myself using a Crossfire setup for a few years at least as if i was looking for more gpu power I would upgrade instead of doubling!:)  I can get all the parts PLUS an SSD for OS for only 777 with free shipping!:)  well that was before you said get the 990FX so it will be more 787!:)  Stilll, cheaper than expected so Im delighted :)  Ill post a few screenshots in a few minutes of all the parts, dont hate for the terrible quality as its a screenshot off the ipad :) 
August 29, 2012 2:46:19 AM

nevermind the screenshots, they'll have to wait until tomorrow!:)  i forgot you cant upload pictures from the ipad, fail on my part!:) 
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 29, 2012 9:28:03 AM

dg1598 said:
heres the psu!:)  http://komplett.ie/site/catalog/itemdetail.aspx?ItemNo=...

It comes with two 6pins, and the GPU needs two :)  I dont see myself using a Crossfire setup for a few years at least as if i was looking for more gpu power I would upgrade instead of doubling!:)  I can get all the parts PLUS an SSD for OS for only 777 with free shipping!:)  well that was before you said get the 990FX so it will be more 787!:)  Stilll, cheaper than expected so Im delighted :)  Ill post a few screenshots in a few minutes of all the parts, dont hate for the terrible quality as its a screenshot off the ipad :) 

Yes thats a decent PSU. Good enough for an overclocked Phenom II and an overclocked 7870.

One final word of advice that comes to mind, if you're looking at SSDs, I wouldn't bother with em unless you buy at least a 128GB one. With 64GB ones you lose almost 20GB of space between Windows and NTFS formatting, so that leaves you only 40GB or so left, and a single game can easily take over 10GB these days, so as you can see it gets pretty cramped real fast without better capacity.
August 29, 2012 9:44:29 AM

I've read good feedbacks about phenom, but Phenom is hard to find now. :( 
No more phenoms in any pc store here in my country. :( 

a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 29, 2012 9:52:21 AM

Depends on where you are I guess. Seems like a lot of merchants in the UK still have em, as do several in the US. But yea, they've been out of production since January.
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2012 10:05:24 AM

I would still get either a HD 7870 or 7950 over a 660ti, common trend prevails the 7970 GE has made the 670 and 680 look redundant, more changes made to GCN chips in the 7950/7870 ilk will likely make it a dead swing. Nvidia will have the tessellation rendering crown but marginally and on pure compute rendering the new 7970 has almost doubled the 680's throughput at a much lower cost. GCN was always the more impressive architecture and it will start to shine now that Nvidia have shown their hand.
August 29, 2012 10:08:17 AM

Can anyone tell me the latest price of Phenom ii x4 965 in $.
And about the Phenom ii x4 965 is it a good choice of processor?
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2012 10:27:54 AM

It will depend on which reseller you use, on Amazon you can get a 965BE for under $100
August 29, 2012 11:04:14 AM

I just want to know your opinions, what is the best choice to choose:
Phenom ii x4 965
i3-2120
FX-4100

Thank you! :pt1cable:  :D 
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 29, 2012 11:07:44 AM

In my opinion, it depends on if you're overclocking or not. If overclocking, Phenom II 965, if not, i3-2120.. FX-4100s.. just.. no... lol.
August 29, 2012 11:08:41 AM

nekulturny said:
Yes thats a decent PSU. Good enough for an overclocked Phenom II and an overclocked 7870.

One final word of advice that comes to mind, if you're looking at SSDs, I wouldn't bother with em unless you buy at least a 128GB one. With 64GB ones you lose almost 20GB of space between Windows and NTFS formatting, so that leaves you only 40GB or so left, and a single game can easily take over 10GB these days, so as you can see it gets pretty cramped real fast without better capacity.

The SSD is solely for the OS, I have a 1tb external hardrive which I will put games/music/movies etc. on so the small space is no problem on the SSD :)  Thanks for all your help!! :) 
August 29, 2012 11:09:49 AM

gboy_05 said:
I just want to know your opinions, what is the best choice to choose:
Phenom ii x4 965
i3-2120
FX-4100

Thank you! :pt1cable:  :D 

From what I have heard I'd say go with the Phenom, and overclock it! The i3 is only dual core I believe so definitely don't go with that, and I've heard SO many bad reviews about the fx4100 :)  I was originally going to go with the 4170 on my build but the Phenom, which is so much older and cheaper seemed to do good enough at gaming to suit me! :) 
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 29, 2012 11:10:11 AM

Okay, but you do understand that, without installing games on the SSD, you will not really be able to reap the benefits of the speed advantage? Yes, Windows7 will boot up faster, but only programs installed to the SSD will have the faster loading speed.

Up to you, just making you aware of it, you're welcome.
August 29, 2012 11:43:29 AM

dg1598 said:
From what I have heard I'd say go with the Phenom, and overclock it! The i3 is only dual core I believe so definitely don't go with that, and I've heard SO many bad reviews about the fx4100 :)  I was originally going to go with the 4170 on my build but the Phenom, which is so much older and cheaper seemed to do good enough at gaming to suit me! :) 

Thank you :) 
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2012 12:30:29 PM

Is there no way you can afford at least a HD 6850/6870 or 560ti? The GTX 550ti is just a no.
August 29, 2012 5:08:00 PM

gboy_05 said:
Phenom ii x4 965 3.4ghz @ stock
and
Zotac GTX550 Ti OC AMP! 1gb Ddr5 192bit http://pcx.com.ph/zotac-gtx550-ti-oc-1gb-ddr5-192bit.ht...

Is this fine with a stock cpu cooler, and Antec 500w power supply? http://pcx.com.ph/antec-neo-eco-520w.html :) 

Definitely stretch to a 560ti AT LEAST :)  It'll play most newish games at a decent fos but you'll need to upgrade eventually, but if you go with the 550 you're gonna want to upgrade really soon when you get it:p  I'd say get the 560ti and then upgrade to SLI eventually if you can, but if it was me I'd just get a better GPU to start with:)  Make sure the motherboard has two PCIe (x16) if youre looking for SLI, also make sure the PSU has enough PCIe connections too!:) 

Hope I helped :) 
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 29, 2012 5:09:10 PM

^ The 550 TI AMP Edition isn't horrible, its not a super great card, but not bad either, AMP editions are OC'ed 100mhz over on the GPU. It performs like stock 6850.

As far as the stock cooler on the Phenom II, its good for 3.6-3.7GHZ of overclocking, I wouldn't go any higher on it. And yes an Antec 520 is fine.

I know, ironic, I'm planning to upgrade my 550 TI and here I am defending it. :kaola: 
August 29, 2012 5:21:12 PM

nekulturny said:
^ The 550 TI AMP Edition isn't horrible, its not a super great card, but not bad either, AMP editions are OC'ed 100mhz over on the GPU. It performs like stock 6850.

As far as the stock cooler on the Phenom II, its good for 3.6-3.7GHZ of overclocking, I wouldn't go any higher on it. And yes an Antec 520 is fine.

I know, ironic, I'm planning to upgrade my 550 TI and here I am defending it. :kaola: 

Hahah what card are you planning on upgrading to? What FPS do you get in the games you play?:) 
a c 78 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 29, 2012 5:26:46 PM

I'm looking at a Sapphire 7870GHZ Edition with a 1080p monitor.

As of today, I'm playing games at 1280x1024 on my older VGA monitors. The 550 TI AMP edition is perfectly fine to play at 50+ FPS on almost every game I've come across at that resolution. Crysis 2 on Ultra, all of the COD games on the highest settings, it will easily max WoW even though I didn't really like that game too much. It has some trouble with Skyrim on Ultra, but not on high still playable though..
!