Radeon 7850 release date?

joleme

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
Trying to sift through the tons and tons of posts and the most that has been said in the past is 'sometime march'.

Just wondering if anyone has seen/heard anything recently about maybe a more exact date... since it is march now and all.

I see a ton of new reviews going up for the card saying it has a great price/performace ratio and my current card is almost 4 years old now so I'd like to get a decent card that will last a while again.

At least this time I know new cards are on the verge of coming out.... last time I bought one new ones came out the month after and I was throwin fits lol.

joleme

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
After a lot of surfing the web i found this in case no one else had actually seen it.....

"if you were expecting exact replacements for the 6800 series, prepare to be disappointed. The new Radeon HD 7850 is the one priced at $249; its big brother, the Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition, costs a more burdensome $349. That means today's launch leaves the $199 price point conspicuously devoid of next-generation GPUs. Perhaps that will change in the future—possibly after the arrival of Kepler parts from Nvidia, which are rumored to be coming soon—but for now, we might say the hole in AMD's lineup is only partially plugged.

Also, it turns out AMD has revived that beloved, time-honored tradition known as the soft launch. In the company's words, today marks the lifting of the "preview NDA" (or preview non-disclosure agreement). We can tell you everything we know about these cards and post our performance findings, but actual products aren't due out in volume until two weeks from now, on March 19."

So i guess I wait 2 weeks+ or get a 560TI now........

caqde

Distinguished
Get the HD7850 when it comes out its faster and uses less power. If you keep cards as long as you are over the course of that 4 years you will have saved the $20 extra that you will spend on the 7850 in your electric bill and heck the 7850 is faster even on the current drivers (remember these cards will get faster over the next 3-4 months especially considering the major architecture change that GCN based cards represent for AMD)

I'm planning on getting an HD7850 too later on to replace my HD5770 but it will likely be a while later before I get one. ($$ constraints mainly) I was also wondering when they would hit the shelves but I guess you already got your answer now we just need to wait about 2 weeks for them.

maxinexus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
7850~6950 performance but I would wait for kepler...this thing I hope will unleash price wars...
680..$549
670...$449
7970...$399
660Ti...$349
7950...$299
7870...$249
7850...$199
7770...$149
7750...$99
This would be soooooo sweet

I'd "curb the enthusiasm" on the 7850 ..... at least for the short term In 3-4 months it's gonna be one killer card but being the 1st on your block to have one will I think lead to a case of buyers remorse. I'm concerned that this soft launch sent cards to reviewers when AMD had full knowledge that :

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-review-benchmark,3148-21.html

Unfortunately, our in-depth evaluations in two different labs at opposite ends of the world turned up a handful of unexpected issues, too. Igor Wallsosek in our German office reports back with a lot of Radeon HD 7850-related issues: NewTek’s LightWave crashes with 4x AA or higher, Autodesk’s 3ds Max crashes in DirectX mode, and the card is incapable of running StarCraft II at its stock clocks. It would be tempting to chalk all of that up to a bad sample, but we had problems with our 7850 as well. World of Warcraft was particularly unstable, requiring a restart after every crash. And sometimes our test bed simply wouldn’t boot with the 7850 installed. Then there’s the whole issue of texture quality issues on both of the new 7800s. Oof.

We’ve never seen a graphics card with so much potential for $250. But there are clearly issues to work out of the Radeon HD 7850......Interestingly, AMD claims that none of its partners plan to use the reference board design. If our problems are specific to AMD’s implementation, shipping 7850s could be better behaved. With weeks to go before these cards are available, we’re able to reserve judgement......

What's wrong w/ the reference board design when none....repeat none.... of their partners are willing to use it. I agree with the authors on potential, but until those issues get worked out and the "partners" get their non reference designs sorted and tweaked, I don't wanna be jumping into that pool. Come late May, the driver issues should be fixed, the hardware issues should be sorted, the tweaked non-reference designs should be out, we'll have something else to compare it with from nVidia and, hopefully, the competition will have had some effect on prices by then.

I am puzzled why AMD, knowing what they must have about the 7850, chose to do the paper launch thing at this time. Direct competing cards in the $250 segment from nVidia aren't expected till late 2nd / early 3rd quarter. It's a bit puzzling why they didn't hold the paper launch until these issues had been sorted given that they had plenty of time to still beat the green time to launch.

The 7850 could well be for AMD in 2012 what the 6870 was in 2011.

Captain_Kickass

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
danawesome89
Here is a review of a Saphire 7850, and it looks like it does much better than the AMD reference card:
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revi [...] ction.html

Well I like those benchmarks a lot better but some of the benchmarks in the Tom's review = ehhh didn't convience me at all the GCN chip is as good as the Nvidia Cuda cores.... case in point, in the tom's review http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-review-benchmark,3148-14.html from this site.. the 560 Ti outperforms the 7850 in SC II. Now, I know what you're saying is "who cares it's SCII and Dx9" agreed BUT for pure non linear GPU "apples to apples" the old Cuda core does only marginally lower but without sacrificing Dx9 FPS. Also, SC II is reported as being the most demanding graphics drawing game WHEN played in a 4v4 match and the 560ti beat the 7850 pretty well still on that. So, if the 7850 is such a better architecture, why is it sucking on DX9 when the Cuda architecture (which AMD paterned off of) is still so much better at Dx9 and really good FPS and Tessellations for Dx11?... Not saying I'm gonna play all Dx9 games but I still have some older games I dust off every now and then and I'd hate to handicaped at it with a brand new card I just bought. It seems like maybe AMD rushed the brew and sacrificed the Dx9 cause they really didn't know what else to do...IMO.

Now I will say this again, those Saphire marks are a much better margin than the referrence. Those marks are worthy of a newer GPU with a 1GB advantage over the 560 ti and in the same price bracket. And, those marks from the Saphire card WOULD make me go to the 7850 vs the 560 if and only if I didn't get screwed on the Dx9 as a trade off. The marks from the referrence card were not even close to an acceptable margin over the 560ti given the 7850's 1gb difference. Also, I'm pleased at the power ratings are way better, and; the whole Eyefinite things is much better than on the Nvidia side but I'm afraid this victory will be short lived because Nvidia hasn't taken the field with the 700s yet... lol It is easy to say you've beaten someone when you're fighting last year's team and the new team hasn't taken the field yet. :hello:

Captain_Kickass

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011

660ti ? That's the way of the Dodo Bird.. Nvidia decided to skip the 600 series and go straight to 700s.. http://www.tweaktown.com/news/21936/leakedtt_nvidia_to_skip_600_series_jump_straight_to_geforce_gtx_780_did_i_mention_it_is_nearly_twice_as_fast_as_the_gtx_580/index.html

Captain_Kickass

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011

True, but I said "Cuda architecture (which AMD paterned off of)" not that AMD patterned or made Cuda cores but that they you know, paterned OFF of? Meaning pilfered, borrowed, copied...read a little more carefully. AMD did pattern the GCN directly off the fermi/Cuda core architecture...come on anyone can see that yet some of the review sites are still spewing "victory" when the GCN is only AMD's catch-up spin on the ground breaking Cuda Core Fermi architecture that NVIDIA made. The Nvidia Fermi architecture was kick'n the crap out of AMD VLIW4 architecture especially for Dx11 games and tessallations and AMD had to come up with something... They built on processing principles of the current Fermi architecture and Cuda cores and came out with thier own version. Nothing wrong with that, that's how technology moves forward but they still are just playing Bill Gates to Steve Jobs and entering that architectural swimming pool and Nvidia has been swimming it for a while, not to mention; the 700s are still on the way. As for missing Nvidia cards they skipped the 600s and went to 700s. I doubt ATI had 2 whole series in the pipe just waiting.
do your home work...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_500_Series
http://www.nvidia.com/object/fermi_architecture.html
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5261 [...] 0-review..

I loved AMD back in the day.. the k5, Duron and k7 thunderbird where the bomb and ATI was great at hardware encoding and decoding on card IN THE DAY but fermi is where it's at if the 700 can increase Dx11 FPS, reduce power, keep Dx9 better and do something to to compete better with eyefinity... Eyefinity is way better and works on a single card vs SLI except for the 2win which is $500.00 lol. Hope Nvidia tackles that aspect with the 700s better.

Captain_Kickass

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011

Again, pressumably because you don't like the truth and deleted my last rebutle, you're not doing anything but saying that AMD improved on the Big Mac and now calls it "Le Big Mac" and if you settle down long enough and place your AMD bias down long enough you'll see I'm not really saying whos better than who... all I'm saying is give credit where it's due... AMD is acting like they created the next best thing and yea maybe it's "the next" but it wasn't the ORIGINAL...and Nvidia is going to come out with the 700 and steel AMD's thunder AGAIN because Nvidia pioneered the Fermi architecture which AMD is coping and calling it "GCN". All GCN is, is an improved version of an architecture that NIVIDA created.... AMDs GNC is not ground breaking or new but the FERMI was, it broke many firsts and was a totally fresh and new architecture (again watch this video on fermi > http://www.nvidia.com/object/fermi_architecture.html ) Sure maybe a couple things got improved by AMD with GCN but it's easy to improve on something somebody else already did! AMD is doing nothing but trying to leapfrog Nvidia with Nvidia's own design and Nvidia will come back and leapfrog AMD... But, if it weren't for Nvidia you wouldn't have that type of architecture in your shinny new AMD 7000s card or the tessallations you do in the 7000s because Nvidia's tessallation handling, DX11 FPS and Fermi architecture is what's caused AMD to scrap the VLIW4 and create a similar design to Fermi... Don't get it twisted, AMD didn't change to GCN because they discovered the technology on their own, they changed to GCN to catch up to Nvidia Fermi architecture which was taking them to school on Dx11 Fps and Tessallations. I'll read your links and if need be I'll come back and tell you the truth as it is again, that; despite how new and improved the AMD model is they wouldn't be anywhere with it if it weren't for the Fermi architecture... Sure AMD may have improved the card design but NVIDIA improved the entire GPU MARKET with the Fermi Architecture not to mention is spurring on bigger and better games in the gaming market because of it!! Give credit where credit is due, AMD is still the rebellious youth and Nvida's the giant.

So saying AMD beat Nvidia with this new 7000 series is really just kinda saying that AMD went in stole a design, changed it a little, called it something else then said "look we won". lol...

PS. Maybe you can be a little more clear and express exactly what point you're trying to make rather than cut exerpts and miss quote me like you did in the first reply.. I never said AMD patterrned the Cuda Cores yet you replied like that's what I said or mor accurately what you read... What I said was AMD patterned OFF of the Cuda Cores as in copied, borrowed, pilfered... again tell me exactly what you're trying to say because the first link you listed (but not the broken one lol) does more to prove my arguement that Fermi was innovative and ground banking but your post .. well your post Idk what you're trying to say.. try more than 5 sentences... you can do it! :bounce: :D

Captain_Kickass

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011

The dual fans will be nice to keep it cool for Oc'ing you could be right about that; but, I'm just not a big fan of MSI... I don't think the make BAD stuff I just think it's more middle of the road stuff IMO and other manufactures can put more punch or features in the cards. For AMD cards I like HIS. But good luck with the card! hope it works great for you and OC's well. let us know peace :bounce: