Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Intel vs Amd

Last response: in CPUs
August 28, 2012 3:36:07 PM

Name says it all Im just wondering which is more preferrd and what are the pros and cons to both ? Ive allways had intel chips and cpus in my computers(even though bought from dell) and never had a problem,same with friends. Are amd still viable ? i hardly ever see people use them on there machines. It seems to me like Intel is at the top of there game and can't be beat lol.

So just want to see what opinions/preferences people have over one or the other

More about : intel amd

a c 78 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 28, 2012 3:42:25 PM

I just upgraded from a phenom X6 @ 3.4 Ghz to a i7 2600k @4Ghz. (both are using two GTX 560's in SLI)

The grass is indeed greener on the intel side of the fence, but the money that I had to spend for the upgrade was greener still.

The new rig puts up better numbers in benchmarks but Crysis 2 plays the same as my AMD rig did. Ditto for deus ex. I can't get quick-sync to work yet with the lucid so my render times are only slightly better with PD9. (I will try connecting directly to the iGPU at some point and test, but even if that works, it's a PITA to do every time I want to render)

I'm sure there are some games that show improvement's, but the ones that are "optimized" will probably depend on your GPU far more than your CPU.

After my experience, I won't recommend ditching good AMD rigs for Intel.

For a new purchase, where the budget allows, yes Intel is better.

m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 28, 2012 3:45:37 PM

What are you going to be doing with this computer? Unless you are going to get a Phenom II BE CPU then really no AMD is't worth it.
m
l
Related resources
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 130 å Intel
a c 104 À AMD
August 28, 2012 3:49:29 PM

The biggest advantage that Intel has over AMD is in gaming and there is no comparison AMD just can't compete well in that area. People that have an AMD cpu have to overclock thier chip as high as possible to try and keep up with a stock Intel cpu. It's not like the AMD cpu can't play games , they can but Intel just does it much better. Below is a gaming Hierarchy chart that is put out by Tomshardware each month and you can see for yourself that there are no AMD cpus in the top two levels. Of course people that love thier AMD cpu will say that the chart is not accurate and that AMD is much better than that chart shows. Well everybody has thier own opinion and they are entitled to it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...
m
l
August 28, 2012 3:52:50 PM

I plan on building this which is a little pricey. i went with intel cuz ive allways assumed intel is to amd as beer is to water lol i mean its BEEEEER lol, but really if i could build a amd that is just as good for a cheaper price and have it last as long as say this build would then i would love suggestions on what amd parts to get. Like does ram or video cards and psu sdd hdd all depend on intel or amd? or are they universal ?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fTq3
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fTq3/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fTq3/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($142.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Intel 330 Series 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 1GB Video Card ($133.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 ATX Full Tower Case ($159.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($130.17 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($74.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Full (32/64-bit) ($158.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $1226.90
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-28 11:50 EDT-0400)

I plan on useing this build as a Gameing pc online and offline so im looking for fast speeds amazing but not overpriced graphics and all the hoopla
m
l
August 28, 2012 3:55:49 PM

inzone said:
The biggest advantage that Intel has over AMD is in gaming and there is no comparison AMD just can't compete well in that area. People that have an AMD cpu have to overclock thier chip as high as possible to try and keep up with a stock Intel cpu. It's not like the AMD cpu can't play games , they can but Intel just does it much better. Below is a gaming Hierarchy chart that is put out by Tomshardware each month and you can see for yourself that there are no AMD cpus in the top two levels. Of course people that love thier AMD cpu will say that the chart is not accurate and that AMD is much better than that chart shows. Well everybody has thier own opinion and they are entitled to it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

Nice informative list thanks for the link
m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 130 å Intel
a c 104 À AMD
August 28, 2012 3:57:02 PM

There is nothing that says or are you required to go with any certian parts because of the cpu that you choose. You can get an Intel cpu and an AMD video card and many people do that. Since Intel doesn't make video cards you have to choose between AMD and Nvidia.
Your build looks pretty good except for the video card. What do you have for a budget.
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 28, 2012 3:57:59 PM

Wait you alread have an I5? If so I would just keep it AMD has nothing that can come close to the performance of the I5. If you went AMD that would be a sidegrade at best IMO it would be a down grade.
m
l
August 28, 2012 4:00:56 PM

inzone said:
There is nothing that says or are you required to go with any certian parts because of the cpu that you choose. You can get an Intel cpu and an AMD video card and many people do that. Since Intel doesn't make video cards you have to choose between AMD and Nvidia.
Your build looks pretty good except for the video card. What do you have for a budget.

Im planning on buying that build from new egg for the preferrd acct. but to put it simply i bought a what i thought was a custom pc from dell (my fault i know now to not do that again) i paid almost 2.5k for that and this is around 1.4 if it will be worth it in the long run im looking at maybe 1.6 or 1.7 would be top end
m
l

Best solution

a c 78 à CPUs
August 28, 2012 4:01:18 PM

Technoob420 said:
I plan on building this which is a little pricey. i went with intel cuz ive allways assumed intel is to amd as beer is to water lol i mean its BEEEEER lol, but really if i could build a amd that is just as good for a cheaper price and have it last as long as say this build would then i would love suggestions on what amd parts to get. Like does ram or video cards and psu sdd hdd all depend on intel or amd? or are they universal ?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fTq3
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fTq3/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fTq3/benchmarks/

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Intel 330 Series 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 1GB Video Card ($133.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($130.17 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($74.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Full (32/64-bit) ($158.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $1226.90
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-28 11:50 EDT-0400)

I plan on useing this build as a Gameing pc online and offline so im looking for fast speeds amazing but not overpriced graphics and all the hoopla

Looking at yout build, I think the problem is you're putting too much money into some stuff and not enough in other places. You can keep the i5-3570K, and AMD really does not have anything that will perform like it in games, however, the video card is the most crucial component of a gaming system, it is more important than the CPU, and you have a lousy one in proportion with everything else.

-My advice is to drop the SSD altogether unless you can afford at least a 128GB model. 60GB is ridiculously low and you'll lose 20GB of it just from NTFS formatting and Windows. Since a single game can take 10GB each, that doesn't leave you much room.

-You don't need a power supply that expensive. Go with this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

-You don't need a case that expensive either.

- What resolution are you looking to play at? Theres no reason you shouldn't be gaming at 1080p with your budget level, you should be looking at this video card:

-Even though the 3570K is a better CPU, a Phenom II with a GTX 670 (better video card than GTX 560) will plain embarrass an i5-3570K with a 560 to put it in perspective.

-Forget the Blue Ray burner, get a regular DVD-RW for like $20. Optical disks are a dying technology. Blue-Ray burning capabilities is a waste.

-Windows7 OEM is only $100. Get that.
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2012 4:02:05 PM

This is going to be trolled, let me get the popcorn cuz this is going to be another masterpiece.

To answer the questions, yes AMD is still viable in fact in many instances you would barely tell the difference between the two. Add further AMD's Piledriver/Vishera based chips will be out soon with promising performance improvements on single and multithreaded performance....this will all be confirmed in due course.

Intel lead in the IPC sweepstakes but it is a number distorted by its total relevance, most performance is determined by software writes and most favor the Intel setup, despite this AMD setups still have rather impressive showings in production applications which favor the high threaded performance.

If you want best now and deal later, then Intel is the way to go, but if you don't have the kind of resources needed AMD is a viable alternative contrary to what is said.
m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 130 å Intel
a c 104 À AMD
August 28, 2012 4:02:18 PM

There are two things that I would change with you build and that is the video card and the size of the SSD.
The SSD should be 120gb so that your not cramped for space on the OS drive and you can put the OS and a game or two while putting the rest on the larger hard drive.
The video card needs to be at least a 560Ti or more if you can aford it. You could drop the psu down to 650w or lower if you are only going with one video card and not adding another one later.
m
l
August 28, 2012 4:04:37 PM

rds1220 said:
Wait you alread have an I5? If so I would just keep it AMD has nothing that can come close to the performance of the I5. If you went AMD that would be a sidegrade at best IMO it would be a down grade.

My current pc is a dell xps 8100 with what i would assume is a intel i7 870@2.93 ghz, but i do plan on upgradeing to the rig i have posted just looking to see if i need to change anything in for it to be suitable for say 3-5 years down the road. currently i got my dell and all of it is unable to be upgraded according to them except the ram but im running well over 16 gigs of ddr3 just not sure what they put in it lol
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2012 4:05:58 PM

For a single card setup a quality 550w unit is enough....and that graphics card has to go.....7870 at $230 considering a 560ti used to go for that, its a no brainer the Graphics card is the biggest gaming contributor.
m
l
August 28, 2012 4:07:00 PM

inzone said:
There are two things that I would change with you build and that is the video card and the size of the SSD.
The SSD should be 120gb so that your not cramped for space on the OS drive and you can put the OS and a game or two while putting the rest on the larger hard drive.
The video card needs to be at least a 560Ti or more if you can aford it. You could drop the psu down to 650w or lower if you are only going with one video card and not adding another one later.

yea i plan on sli'ing a gpu in the future. i just want to get a good one and test it out b4 i commit to sli
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 28, 2012 4:08:02 PM

nekulturny said:
Looking at yout build, I think the problem is you're putting too much money into some stuff and not enough in other places. You can keep the i5-3570K, and AMD really does not have anything that will perform like it in games, however, the video card is the most crucial component of a gaming system, it is more important than the CPU, and you have a lousy one in proportion with everything else.

-My advice is to drop the SSD altogether unless you can afford at least a 128GB model. 60GB is ridiculously low and you'll lose 20GB of it just from NTFS formatting and Windows. Since a single game can take 10GB each, that doesn't leave you much room.

-You don't need a power supply that expensive. Go with this one:

-You don't need a case that expensive either.

- What resolution are you looking to play at? Theres no reason you shouldn't be gaming at 1080p with your budget level, you should be looking at this video card:

-Even though the 3570K is a better CPU, a Phenom II with a GTX 670 (better video card than GTX 560) will plain embarrass an i5-3570K with a 560 to put it in perspective.

-Forget the Blue Ray burner, get a regular DVD-RW for like $20. Optical disks are a dying technology. Blue-Ray burning capabilities is a waste.

-Windows7 OEM is only $100. Get that.

Yes definitly. He doesn't need to put so much in the PSU, case and stuff like that. While it's good to get good quality that stuff isn't going to effect performance. Drop the expensive stuff and find cheaper (but good qulity) alternatives and put the money you save into a better graphics card.
m
l
August 28, 2012 4:08:29 PM

sarinaide said:
This is going to be trolled, let me get the popcorn cuz this is going to be another masterpiece.

To answer the questions, yes AMD is still viable in fact in many instances you would barely tell the difference between the two. Add further AMD's Piledriver/Vishera based chips will be out soon with promising performance improvements on single and multithreaded performance....this will all be confirmed in due course.

Intel lead in the IPC sweepstakes but it is a number distorted by its total relevance, most performance is determined by software writes and most favor the Intel setup, despite this AMD setups still have rather impressive showings in production applications which favor the high threaded performance.

If you want best now and deal later, then Intel is the way to go, but if you don't have the kind of resources needed AMD is a viable alternative contrary to what is said.

lol nooooooo
m
l
August 28, 2012 4:10:54 PM

rds1220 said:
Yes definitly. He doesn't need to put so much in the PSU, case and stuff like that. While it's good to get good quality that stuff isn't going to effect performance. Drop the expensive stuff and find cheaper (but good qulity) alternatives and put the money you save into a better graphics card.

ok so i will drop that sdd all together but if i switch out that psu for the one u linked will that supply enough for the gpu u lined ? and possible sli in the long run ?
m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 130 å Intel
a c 104 À AMD
August 28, 2012 4:11:40 PM

SeaSonic M12II 650 SS-650AM 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Semi-modular Power Supply
$109.99

SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$99.99

EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-3662-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$309.99 and a $10 rebate makes the final price $299.99.

By making these changes you can get a seriously great gaming Pc that will be at the top for a few years and then by adding another video card for SLI can be kept there longer.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 28, 2012 4:17:28 PM

A Corsair TX650 V2 is sufficient to run 2 GTX 670s in SLi, should you have the desire.

I will say though, even though it may be potentially flamebait, in response to Inzone:

Quote:
Of course people that love thier AMD cpu will say that the chart is not accurate and that AMD is much better than that chart shows. Well everybody has thier own opinion and they are entitled to it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] 106-5.html

There are plenty of people on this forum who prefer Intel that will tell you that Hierarchy chart is a load of crap. The biggest indication should be that they actually put the FX-4170 above all Phenom IIs. Really? Seriously? Just sayin, its almost like tongue in cheek humor. :lol: 
m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 130 å Intel
a c 104 À AMD
August 28, 2012 4:19:03 PM

A power supply is not to be dismissed as not essential since it powers every component in the Pc , if you want quality and depedability then you should go with a top brand like Seasonic and the 650w will power two video cards in sli.
The SSD will give the Pc an overall performance increase over a conventional hard drive and is currently the way to go with putting the OS on a 120 gb SSD and storing the rest on the larger hard drive.
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 28, 2012 4:19:53 PM

The Corsair one that he linked will be fine. At 650 Watts that is powerful enough for your build. It can also handle the SLI just fine. Video cards are going to smaller dies that run cooler and are more power effcient.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 28, 2012 4:21:19 PM

Yea, if you're really concerned you can step up to the Corsair TX750 V2 like I have, but the power consumption data I've seen, 650 should be more than enough.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-670-2-and-3wa...

Quote:
A power supply is not to be dismissed as not essential since it powers every component in the Pc , if you want quality and depedability then you should go with a top brand like Seasonic and the 650w will power two video cards in sli.

Corsair TX V2 series are made by Seasonic.... :sarcastic: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2012 4:25:11 PM

A component build using Delta, Zippy/Emac or Seasonic is guarenteed to be top quality. We torture tested a Antec 1200 HCP to 1500w overvoltage and it survived happily ever after.
m
l
August 28, 2012 4:32:37 PM

Ok so this is my revised build lol, i made all the suggested changes except the case but only cuz since it will be a gameing pc i want it to be something that has "bling" to show off to my friends when they come over lol. like the window to see inside and the hidden cable managment/led fans. If theirs a cheaper one with those then i will def switch. though i could go without the window if necessary. i just want to make sure the case will work with the mobo and the cpu cooler. i would prefer to have the liquid cooler than the big cpu fan on top.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fTV1
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fTV1/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fTV1/benchmarks/

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DVDE818A7T/BLK/B/GEN CD Reader, DVD Writer ($25.97 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($90.80 @ Amazon)
Total: $1258.54
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-28 12:31 EDT-0400)

Heres my new egg link incase it makes it better to read http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 28, 2012 4:39:49 PM

I could still get you "bling" for cheaper, but yes its much better. I look at it this way, you got the kids with the Honda Civics, with the faux- hood scoops, and the over-the-top deck lid spoiler. Me? I was the kid who had a 30TH Anniversary Mercury Cougar. Big grandma looking car with V8 horsepower baby. No fancy window decals and tacky paint jobs. Willpower is no match for horsepower.

How about a Phantom for "Bling"?
m
l
August 28, 2012 4:43:53 PM

2632776,26,1119315 said:
I could still get you "bling" for cheaper, but yes its much better. I look at it this way, you got the kids with the Honda Civics, with the faux- hood scoops, and the over-the-top deck lid spoiler. Me? I was the kid who had a 30TH Anniversary Mercury Cougar. Big grandma looking car with V8 horsepower baby. No fancy window decals and tacky paint jobs. Willpower is no match for horsepower.

How about a Phantom for "Bling"?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...[/quotemsg

OMG that case is the best one i think ive ever seen. i just had a joygasim thank you for showing me that lol i thought the antec one was killer wow i was wrong
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 28, 2012 4:47:19 PM

You're welcome lol, they are available in different colors btw, the Green and black is the one I have.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

The Phantom 410s are mid-towers (smaller), but still big enough. Just to make you aware. But the 410s have a side window, since you did mention wanting one. So its a trade-off I suppose.
m
l
August 28, 2012 4:58:47 PM

You're welcome lol, they are available in different colors btw, the Green and black is the one I have.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

The Phantom 410s are mid-towers (smaller), but still big enough. Just to make you aware. But the 410s have a side window, since you did mention wanting one. So its a trade-off I suppose.[/quotemsg]

Ok so i looked at the 410s and i do actually like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Only question thing i dont understand is it says the liquid coold radiator is top mounted so will the one i plan on buying which is this
CORSAIR CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, still work with it ?

Sorry for all the noob questions i just want my first build rig to be good and awsome which all your suggestions are makeing it that way
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 28, 2012 11:23:36 PM

I'm used to noob questions, lol its fine.

Yes, the Hydro H60 would work.. The Phantoms have space in the top for liquid coolers (up where the fans are inside the top part of the case). Although honestly, a 212 Evo will cool just as well for overclocking, and its a bit cheaper. Watercooling is somewhat overrated for most people. It just isn't that necessary to achieve strong overclocks anymore.

m
l
August 28, 2012 11:37:56 PM

nekulturny said:
I'm used to noob questions, lol its fine.

Yes, the Hydro H60 would work.. The Phantoms have space in the top for liquid coolers (up where the fans are inside the top part of the case). Although honestly, a 212 Evo will cool just as well for overclocking, and its a bit cheaper. Watercooling is somewhat overrated for most people. It just isn't that necessary to achieve strong overclocks anymore.

hmm maybe ill go with that i just figured that a big heat sink might cause space issues with the gpu and all
m
l
August 28, 2012 11:41:07 PM

i have to buy thermal paste with that 212 evo rite ?
m
l
August 28, 2012 11:46:11 PM

:non:  Obvious troll is obvious. :non: 
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 28, 2012 11:48:30 PM

Technoob420 said:
hmm maybe ill go with that i just figured that a big heat sink might cause space issues with the gpu and all

No it wont. Actually, if anything the Antec Full tower you initially were looking at might have. Although probably not. But Antec Full towers are as tall as what you'd expect from a full tower, but they tend to be very skinny.

Technoob420 said:
i have to buy thermal paste with that 212 evo rite ?

Negative. Thermal compound comes with the 212 evo, and its actually very decent. Its as good as Arctic Silver 5, which seems to be regarded as the elite thermal compound on the market.
m
l
August 28, 2012 11:55:32 PM

nekulturny said:
No it wont. Actually, if anything the Antec Full tower you initially were looking at might have. Although probably not. But Antec Full towers are as tall as what you'd expect from a full tower, but they tend to be very skinny.

Negative. Thermal compound comes with the 212 evo, and its actually very decent. Its as good as Arctic Silver 5, which seems to be regarded as the elite thermal compound on the market.

allright thanks man u helped alot
m
l
September 5, 2012 4:12:04 AM

Best answer selected by Technoob420.
m
l
!