March 8, 2012 4:05:57 PM

Hello, i have an interesting problem. My PC specs are here

Phenom x4 840 3.2ghz cpu
Gigabyte nforce 720d chipset mobo
2x1GB ddr2-800 ram
1tb caviar black
1gb sapphire hd6850
FSP 460-62PFB 460Watt psu

I bought the hd6850 to replace my old 8800gt a few days ago. Usually i don't play games too much, but when i do, i play MW3 and BF3 only.

What my question is, when i use my pc for daily needs and programming, there is no problem. When i stress test my cpu and rams with prime95, again there's no problem. But when i stress test my gpu with furmark or play MW3, i can hear that psu makes an electrical crackling noise. I took it out of the case and make sure that the sound comes from it, but when the sound occurs no sparks can be seen inside it. Also considering it has short circuit and overload protection, the system does not restart or lock down. Is it a problem really or can be ok when i use a dual molex to 6 pin cable? The PSU specs says that it has 30A for 12V rail and it seems like there is 2 12V rails inside. Thanks for your help.
a b ) Power supply
March 8, 2012 4:27:26 PM

I only buy gold plus certified power supplys to avoid this from happening, there are alot of cheap PSU brands that have short commings just like this, to be honest ur lucky it hasnt burnt up, blew up or shut off due to being 100 watts less then whats printed on the box
m
l
a c 263 ) Power supply
March 8, 2012 4:56:58 PM

firo40 said:
I only buy gold plus certified power supplys to avoid this from happening, there are alot of cheap PSU brands that have short commings just like this, to be honest ur lucky it hasnt burnt up, blew up or shut off due to being 100 watts less then whats printed on the box

80+ Gold is only a rating and not an indication of quality. FSP is an actual manufacturer and makes at least 4 distinct lines of 80+ Gold power supplies.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/FSP.htm

It does sound like you are stressing that power supply too much. I would replace it. Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Enermax, Silverstone, OCZ and Antec are all good brands. 450-500 watts should be fine with any of those brands.

m
l
Related resources
a c 125 ) Power supply
March 8, 2012 5:03:46 PM

Even the older FSP PSUs weren't bad, but they weren't the best, and IMHO one of their biggest issues was they were labeled as to their peak, not continuous wattage. Check the label of your "460W" unit; that may be a peak.
In any case, I'd be very nervous of a PSU making "electrical crackling" noises. I would replace it with a 430W-500W Antec Earthwatts or Corsair Builder.
m
l
March 8, 2012 8:04:04 PM

Those "electrical cracking" noises may be sparks or the ionization of a capacitor.
Both of them can cause fire or even explode. I suggest you changing your PSU before something wrong happens. (eg. burning your CPU when it finally collapses)

I have an FSP PSU too, and I never had any problem with it. It is 300W and my computer's peak load is 378W (have two 1.5GB HDD RAID)... It is going to explode soon or later. :p 

-Hope it helps! :) 
m
l
March 9, 2012 3:16:17 PM

Test values of this fsp model also shows that it's compatible with the 80 plus standards, but of course it is in lab environment and on 25C degrees as usual.

http://www.fsp-group.com.tw/report/FSP_FSP460_62PFB_460...

this one sounds like a coil buzzing and it's nearly the same noise with mine, but not continuous like, think of this sound occuring for 1-2 seconds in asynchronous intervals

and bloc97, there's a reality that some psu's can give more than their labeled values :)  cooler master's 400W and 460W models are both giving 420W max and have the same components inside :) 

m
l
March 10, 2012 4:29:14 PM

A Coil in the PSU Buzzing? That is rare in my opinion...
A coil buzzing sound is a really really high-pitched continuous sound.

But my graphic card doesn't stop buzzing when I torture it with FurMark...

Also, are you sure that sound isn't the PSU fan failing? My old PSU's Fan made awful loud sounds before it died (the fan). Put an stick (wooden preferably if you don't want to get hurt) on that PSU's fan BEFORE powering it up.(or you get hurt again)
It should tell if your fan is making those sounds.

Hope it helps! :) 
m
l
March 10, 2012 4:32:17 PM

Also, if the fan is the problem, change your PSU, since an broken PSU fan can cause some components to overheat, and you surely don't want an unstable Atomic Bomb in your bedroom...
m
l
!