Pc turning on but not booting

rudi95

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2012
hey everyone,

so i upgraded my pc recently and bought everything new except for the motherboard, every 5 out 10 times it will just turn on and all the fans will spin but wont boot ... i bought a secondhand powersupply about 3 months ago and it worked fine with my old system so im just assuming it is my motherboard.

old system specs:
phenom ii x4 955 BE
asus m4a88tdv-evo
4 GB g.skill ram
be quiet p7 1000w
samsung spinpoint 1tb
xfx 6870 (single card)

current spec :
i5 3450
gigabyte p67-ud3-b3
4 gb g.skill
be quiet p7 1000w
samsung spinpoint 1tb
xfx 6870 (crossfire)

ps. the fans connected to the PSU and PSU fans dont stop spinningwhen truned off

thanks for any help

Collywozzle

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
If you remove components (i.e. gfx card) so it uses less power do you get the same issue?

It may be worth checking the mounting of the motherboard too, and the switch connections before assuming its duff.

windryyder

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Hi,

I would try testing the RAM first. Run something like memtest 86+ or the windows memory testing software that comes with windows 7 to see if it reports any errors. You can also try booting with just one stick of RAM at a time to see if it fails with any one stick in particular. Also, move the RAM to different Ram slots while booting with just one stick of RAM to see if one of the RAM slots is bad.

price_th

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I don't know how you went from a Phenom II to a i5 3450 and didn't change the MOBO. AMD and Intel CPU's are not interchangable let alone matching the socket.

rudi95

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2012
i have tried tunring on with no graphicscard and no memory intalled , and as for price_th in my post you will see i upgraded to a gigabyte p67-ud3

rudi95

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2012
i bought the motherboard with an already updated bios to make it compatible , but just in case what would be the most recent bios for my motherboard ? ... and it was purely a money issue

1tym

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008

dude yes the problem is your motherboard. You paired a p67 motherboard with a 3rd gen ivy bridge cpu. You need to update the bios to make it compatible. Why didn't you get a z77 motherboard?

1tym

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008

you need bios version f9 http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3765

if you have it could be your ram. What's the voltage for those? May want to follow this guide for tips to double check if you want
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

rudi95

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2012
right looks like i am going to have to rma the motherbord ... anyone have any idea how long that takes with gigabyte ?

rudi95

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2012
right so i am going to try and revive this thread , i have sent my motherboard away and they have said there is nothing wrong with it , so i am asking if anyone knows what else could be the problem

thanks

muhammadbinmehroze

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
NOTE: Before making any attempt to remove or replace any part inside the casing, ensure that the power is off.

Well, the first thing that might be causing this is your memory card (RAM). Try to remove it and place it in another memory slot on the motherboard.

To be sure if your motherboard is still in good working condition, remove the memory card and power on the PC.

You should hear continuous beep sounds.

If you hear this then your motherboard is fine.

If placing the memory card in another slot does not work then the problem lies with the memory card itself. You will need to replace it.

It could also be that some faulting PCI cards are causing this error.

Try to remove your PCI cards. Normally a faulting PCI modem causes this type of error. Remove it and then power on the pc.

The processor cannot be faulty but still if you want to check it, remove the CPU Cooler fan. Then turn on the PC.

Place your finger on the processor for 2 seconds. You should find the processor heating up. Then turn it off immediately. If this works then your processor is good.
Remember not to leave it ON for more than 5 secs.

rudi95

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2012
well i had tried the starting the computer without memory just before i sent it away and there where no beeps what so ever :( but i will try all the things suggested when i get the motherboard back which should be either today or tomorrow.

i will update when i have tried all those things.
thanks