Sign in with
Your question

Suddenly Booting without Video

Last response: in Systems
May 11, 2012 5:44:15 PM

About a week ago, I went to boot my computer as usual and found I had no video. My PC has had a dual-display for years. Neither monitor was functional (Sleep Mode). Here are the specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom 965 Black
Mobo*: Gigabyte 970A-UD3
RAM: 3x 2GB G.Skill DDR3-1066
PSU: Corsair TX650M
GPU**: Geforce 560 Ti
Sound: Asus Xonar D2x

* - I replaced the original motherboard during troubleshooting. My initial motherboard was a Gigabyte MA790GPT-UD3H.
** - I have tried three video cards. My initial card was a Geforce 9800 GTX+. I then tried a functional Geforce 210 from my HTPC and a newly purchased Geforce 560 Ti.

My first step was to unplug each display and try them both individually on each of the two ports. I noticed on one occasion that my computer was reaching the Windows login screen, as I heard the Windows 'chime'.

I assumed the problem was the video card, so I removed the card and attempted to use the onboard video from my first motherboard. I still had no success, but figured I may need to switch to onboard in BIOS, so I cleared CMOS. After a few attempts, I had video with a message to the effect of "CMOS data corrupted. Would you like to use the last known working settings." I foolishly selected yes. After reboot, I once again had no video. I attempted to clear CMOS a few more times with no success. On a later attempt, I failed to clear the jumper and booted with Clear CMOS shorted. After a few seconds, the computer shut down on its own and I cleared the jumper. Hopefully this didn't cause any real damage.

I could not successfully clear the CMOS again, so I removed the battery for a few minutes. This was also unsuccessful, so I removed the battery for the night while I slept. The next morning, the computer would still not boot with video.

I removed all but one stick of memory and attempted to boot again with no success. I repeated this with each of the three sticks. My HTPC is DDR2, so I can not test the memory in another computer.

I removed all expansion cards and peripherals and attempted to boot with the CPU, onboard GPU, and PSU only. I still had no success, so I assumed the motherboard was going bad. I purchased a replacement.

I tested the original video card in a second PC and found it was functional (the 9800). I removed the PSU from the HTPC and placed it in the broken computer with no success.

The Gigabyte 970A-UD3 arrived and I transferred my CPU and heatsink/fan to the new motherboard. The computer would still not boot with video. I found a PC speaker and plugged it into the motherboard and found I was receiving no post beeps. Friends suggested the motherboard had arrived DOA, so I returned it for a replacement. After receiving the replacement, I am still having the same problem. I tested the PC speaker in my HTPC and found it was still producing no sound. The PC Speaker seems to be nonfunctional.

I have now tried three GPUs and two PSUs, and three motherboards with no success. At the suggestion of another forum, I removed the components from the case and placed it on a motherboard box. With only the PSU, CPU, and Geforce 210 installed, I booted the computer with a screwdriver. I still had no success.

It seems the only component left is the CPU. There is no heat damage on the CPU and all pins are intact. I have never experienced any problems with it. I have attempted to boot the CPU with only the OS drive connected and have not since heard the Windows chime, but I have since removed my Asus Xonar D2x to confirm it was not causing the problem (it has had a good handful of problems in its lifetime). I assumed the new motherboard would not have had it enabled by default anyway.

Unless someone can come up with another solution, I will contact AMD and attempt to have the warranty fulfilled, as I'm still in its last year. Any other ideas?

More about : suddenly booting video

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 12, 2012 4:30:48 PM

if every parts r working fine in other systems then check ur cpu. what do u mean by wont boot, does ur system starts without any display or just no activity at all.
m
l
!