Boosting Wifi Signal in my House

Annac1027

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
I am using a linksys WRT400N wireless router with internal antennae and receiving poor signal strength on second floor of my house. I also have the At&T Micro-Cell tower but doesn't help.

Read about repeaters but unclear if this could be solution since I don't want to run cables all over the house if that's what they need.

I have a hard wired cable cord in a bedroom upstairs that is not being used (I use to have a desktop computer connected to it) Can I use this to connect another router?

I have a wifi only iPad that I'm dying to use upstairs but signal is really poor.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anna :wahoo:

if you connect the new router via its WAN/Internet port making it a separate neywork, log into the router, set up the wireless security, and make sure to change the LAN IP to 192.168.0.1 so it does not interfere with the Linksys IP address scheme which is 192.168.1.1.

if you want to connect the new router as an AP (access point) vi a one of the LAN ports which will allow you to share files and printer, log into the router, set up the wireless security, disable the DHCP and change the LAN IP to 192.168.1.253.