Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Quick question: is there any disadvantage to having too much RAM?

Last response: in Systems
May 11, 2012 6:34:30 PM

I have heard in some places that too much RAM will actually make your computer run slower in some applications. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks
May 11, 2012 7:15:39 PM

Hello,

Back in the old days (I would say 10+ years ago). More RAM would take longer for your system to recognize.

I would have to say - modern computers do not have this issue. If they do - the "slowness" of having more ram would be measured in nanoseconds - not enough for you to detect it.
m
l
May 11, 2012 7:18:22 PM

OK, thanks. So that means get as much RAM as my budget and PCI slots allow?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

May 11, 2012 8:27:01 PM

I wouldnt put ram in a pci slot!!. Also there is a point at which a large ammount of ram wouldnt even be used. As a general rule, 8gb is more than enough . Some exceptions might be if you edit hd video, or are recording games while you play, and have a ton of things running in the back ground. Also some motherboards have limitations of max ammount of ram supported. Last.. if you dont have a 64 bit operating system you wont be able to use more than about 3.5gb, because thats all that 32bit windows can support.
May 11, 2012 8:38:03 PM

Yes, you certainly can have too much RAM, but it's all situational. We would need full system specs and the purpose of your system in order to comment appropriately.
m
l
May 11, 2012 8:55:38 PM

Disregard, didn't see GI_JONES post, which covers it all :) 

Extra ram doesn't hurt, but it doesn't necessarily help either. A typical gamer would never need more than 8 gigs; however Windows 7 64bit will recognize up to 16 gigs. Given the price of ram, an extra 40$ for 16 gigs instead of 8 isn't a huge deal if you are not sacrificing from other parts of your system to keep your budget.

If you don't have a 64 bit OS, you can't use more than 4gigs.
m
l
May 11, 2012 8:58:24 PM

I normally find all "quick questions" require long drawn out answers!

All the info above is top notch.
m
l
May 21, 2012 3:35:45 AM

Best answer selected by ForgedByGunFire.
m
l
!