GPU temperature continues rising after startup, then drops.

Deremix

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Alright, I've got a problem.

Lately for like a few months or so, I've been having terrible problems with my GPU overheating. So, I eventually cleaned the dust out of the case, left the case open, cleaned out the gpu, bought some high quality thermal paste, applied it to the GPU, replaced my crappy dual core CPU with a high-quality quad core CPU and applied the thermal paste to it, and everything seemed to be fine, at least for a week or so.

Then this started happening: almost everytime I start the computer up, or restart it, the GPU temperature keeps climbing, even after all start up process have stopped. The temperature has no boundry, it will even push past 110C. But then after at least ten minutes, it will drop to about 50C. The problem is, it usually gets so high that you can smell the thermal paste burning away, so every once in a while I have to reapply it due to all of it being gone. Keep in mind, I'm just letting it set still while it's doing this, I don't open anything.

I'm stumped, I have no idea what the problem is. Any suggestions?

Deremix

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012

I've checked multiple times, and the fan is spinning. But it stops overheating after at least 15 minutes. Could my GPU be faulty? I've been meaning to replace my PSU, as it's only 350W, WELL below the recommended for my GPU which is a GeForce 9800. Could my PSU have caused a fault in it?

DM186

Splendid
What are you using to check your temps? It sounds like the heat sink is not making a good solid fit. Did you follow the instructions to the letter with the paste? If you can smell paste burning.

Then it has some air gaps. From before when it was overheating might have warped or bent a little. So when you put the two together it doesn't seal good. Then when you turn on your rig.

It gets hot and after awhile it seals it self or flatens more from the heat and then your temps go down. I tried to fix a an Xbox 360 and the heat warped the heat sink and no matter how much paste It would always go to high.

This is just a thought that I would share. Does not mean that has happened to you. Just another thing to look at. I hope you find the problem and fix it because in the long run something is going to give out. Good luck to you

Deremix

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
I've determined that the problem is the card is faulty, especially the heatsink, as the fan will stop spinning from time to time. So, I've sent out for a new, better GPU and plan to take better care of it, and let it get a lot of rest.

Thanks anyway, guys.