Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First build - Need final review - ~$1000

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 11, 2012 6:48:20 PM

I've gotten some good advice here and other forums, and I think I've narrowed my selection down and would like some of you experts to looks over my selection and make sure everything here is compatible and appropriate.

Approximate Purchase Date: in the next couple weeks
Budget Range: around $1000
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Photo editing (currently using PS CS4, plan to upgrade to CS5 or CS6. Plan on LR4 as well), some light video editing (cutting home videos of the baby that is on the way, nothing too extreme), web, MS office, etc. No gaming at all.
Parts Not Required: Monitor, keyboard, mouse, optical drive
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preference, other than just sticking with reputable dealers
Country: USA
Parts Preferences: No preference. Parts I've picked are just from seeing what others suggest.
Overclocking: Most likely
SLI or Crossfire: No
Monitor Resolution: One at 1600x1200 and one at 1280x1024. Probably upgrade the smaller one at some point before the computer runs out of life.
Additional Comments: Plan on keeping the computer for 5 years or more. My current desktop is about 6 years old, and I'd like to get similar life out of the new one.

CPU: i7 3770k - $350 Or should I stick with i7-2600k and save some money? Is it worth the cost to go with Ivy Bridge?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501

CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus - $20 - will most likely overclock (Already purchased)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - 130 ASRock Z77 Pro4 - $100 with CPU combo deal
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157296

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 - $76.50 G.SKILL Ares 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600 - $97.75 (Already purchased)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231558

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB - $72
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148767

SSD: Not right now. Maybe a future upgrade when prices come down. I'm not really all that worried about startup time or application loading. Maybe a small cache drive, but then again, I can keep the cost lower by skipping it for now.

GPU: EVGA GeForce GT 430 (Fermi) 1GB - $70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130609

Case: Antec Gaming Series One - $50
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129181

Power Supply: PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W Modular 80PLUS Bronze - $48
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703035

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM - $100 Switching to Win 7 Pro for the 32GB RAM capability for future upgrades. - $140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116992

Total = $975.75


How does this build look? I've read about interference between RAM and CPU coolers, so I think that is one area I'd like some confirmation that this will fit together ok. Also, is 500W appropriate? I think it is based on Outervision extreme power supply calculator, but I'd like some of you're opinions as well.

Thanks.
May 11, 2012 6:59:37 PM

No dual card set up then no need for the extreme4. This board down below is meant for a single card configuration.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $449.98 save: $20.00
ASRock Z77 Pro4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z77%20Pro4 <---- another look at that board along with the latest bios update


Don't fill up all your RAM slots and leave yourself short on an upgrade path. 2x8GB leaves you room for another 16GB in the future if you ever feel the need.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $114.99 FREE SHIPPING
G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C10D-16GAO
m
0
l
May 11, 2012 7:25:24 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'm new to this, so I'm still learning. Didn't realize the Extreme 4 was for dual cards.

The Pro4 looks good. Hopefully Newegg will get some 3770k's in stock soon so I can get that combo deal and save a little cash.

As far as the RAM goes, I had thought about getting 2x8GB and leaving two slots open. But I keep reading that it's best to buy RAM in sets so they're all matched. And, if I get Win 7 Home, I'm limited to 16GB anyway. So that's the reason I went with 4x4GB, and figured I could save a little money. All the little upgrades add up in the end. Although, the MOBO CPU combo you recommended saves me $30 over what I was planning. So I guess that covers the added cost of the RAM change.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 11, 2012 7:29:54 PM

Out of curiosity, why did you choose the Ares series over the Ripjaws series? I have no preference between the two, but see lots of recommendations for Ripjaws.

What's the difference between these three, other than timing?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%2050008476%20600006127%20600006072%20600000261&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=147|20-231-558^20-231-558-TS%2C20-231-489^20-231-489-TS%2C20-231-568^20-231-568-TS
m
0
l
May 11, 2012 7:43:46 PM

csebasti said:
Out of curiosity, why did you choose the Ares series over the Ripjaws series? I have no preference between the two, but see lots of recommendations for Ripjaws.

What's the difference between these three, other than timing?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%2050008476%20600006127%20600006072%20600000261&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=147|20-231-558^20-231-558-TS%2C20-231-489^20-231-489-TS%2C20-231-568^20-231-568-TS

Other than the timings they are the same RAM with different heat spreaders. The Ares are low profile and low profile is good if you want to add an after market cpu heat sink. You won't have any problems either if you choose to add another set of that Ares later on for a total of 32GB. Just remember that Windows 7 Home Premium is limited to seeing 16GB of RAM. You want Windows Professional for anything over 16GB. $130 for the OEM copy at amazon or newegg.
m
0
l
May 11, 2012 7:53:13 PM

I had been planning on getting Win 7 Pro, but decided to save some money and go with Home Premium instead, thinking that I likely won't upgrade. Or if I do, it may be time for an OS upgrade anyway. Maybe that's foolish thinking, and I should just spend the extra $40 now.

You said $130 for the OEM version. Was that a typo? Amazon and Newegg have it listed for $140. Or am I missing a coupon or something? Does Windows ever go on sale?
m
0
l
May 11, 2012 8:06:06 PM

Here's another question. Does it make sense to go with the 3770k instead of a 2600k? I can save ~$50 with the 2600k. I was thinking I'd go with IB because it's newer. But is it worth the extra cost?
m
0
l
May 11, 2012 8:21:27 PM

csebasti said:
Here's another question. Does it make sense to go with the 3770k instead of a 2600k? I can save ~$50 with the 2600k. I was thinking I'd go with IB because it's newer. But is it worth the extra cost?

IB has features that SB doesn't like native 3.0 USB, PCI-E 3.0, Thunderbolt option if the board has it, it's faster in apps (more transistors), etc... it comes down to if you will make use of any of that.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-... <---- there's some good links to that on here. Along with some links to benchmarks.
m
0
l
May 13, 2012 4:16:49 PM

So I think I'm settled on going with the IB and sticking with the i7-3770k. I plan to keep this computer for a long time, so I think it's best to just go with the new hardware with more features.

Next pressing question: I'd like some confirmation from others that the power supply I chose is sufficient. Right now at Newegg, its 15% off and has a $20 rebate that expires on 5/15. So I'd like to buy it before that runs out unless someone gives me a reason not to. The 600W has the same deal, but I'm not sure I need to go to 600 W. Any thoughts?
PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703035
m
0
l
May 13, 2012 4:36:41 PM

csebasti said:
So I think I'm settled on going with the IB and sticking with the i7-3770k. I plan to keep this computer for a long time, so I think it's best to just go with the new hardware with more features.

Next pressing question: I'd like some confirmation from others that the power supply I chose is sufficient. Right now at Newegg, its 15% off and has a $20 rebate that expires on 5/15. So I'd like to buy it before that runs out unless someone gives me a reason not to. The 600W has the same deal, but I'm not sure I need to go to 600 W. Any thoughts?
PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703035

That 500w psu will easily push that build you have up to and leave you juice to spare.
m
0
l
May 13, 2012 4:43:46 PM

Sorry to threadjack but I had a related question regarding those 2 Motherboards Why_Me and I figured I'd ask it here instead of making a new thread.

Is there any significant difference to using one or the other with a single GPU setup? I know the Extreme4 is meant for multiple GPUs but I can also get it for much cheaper than the Pro4. Basically, am I handicapping myself in anyway by using a single GPU on a board designed for multiples?

So with that in mind that I can get the Extreme4 cheaper, do I get it or still go with the Pro4? Btw CPU would be i5 3570k.
m
0
l
May 13, 2012 5:00:34 PM

snokin said:
Sorry to threadjack but I had a related question regarding those 2 Motherboards Why_Me and I figured I'd ask it here instead of making a new thread.

Is there any significant difference to using one or the other with a single GPU setup? I know the Extreme4 is meant for multiple GPUs but I can also get it for much cheaper than the Pro4. Basically, am I handicapping myself in anyway by using a single GPU on a board designed for multiples?

So with that in mind that I can get the Extreme4 cheaper, do I get it or still go with the Pro4? Btw CPU would be i5 3570k.

If you can get it for cheaper than go for it. No handicap at all. It's just an extra PCI-E 3.0 slot and you never know...it might come in handy one day.
m
0
l
May 13, 2012 5:43:24 PM

Why_Me said:
That 500w psu will easily push that build you have up to and leave you juice to spare.



Thanks for the confirmation. It helps to have some confirmation that I wasn't crazy when I selected that.
m
0
l
May 13, 2012 5:44:01 PM

snokin said:
Sorry to threadjack but I had a related question regarding those 2 Motherboards Why_Me and I figured I'd ask it here instead of making a new thread.

Is there any significant difference to using one or the other with a single GPU setup? I know the Extreme4 is meant for multiple GPUs but I can also get it for much cheaper than the Pro4. Basically, am I handicapping myself in anyway by using a single GPU on a board designed for multiples?

So with that in mind that I can get the Extreme4 cheaper, do I get it or still go with the Pro4? Btw CPU would be i5 3570k.


Out of curiosity, where did you see that Extreme 4 for cheaper?
m
0
l
May 13, 2012 5:55:50 PM

csebasti said:
Out of curiosity, where did you see that Extreme 4 for cheaper?


I'm guessing since he's going with the 3570k that he's going to combo it with the extreme4 at microcenter and get the extreme4 for $89.99. They don't have a deal for the pro4, unless you get the micro.
m
0
l
May 13, 2012 7:48:48 PM

Man, I really wish there was a microcenter near me. They seem to have a lot of good deals, but I'm no where near one.
m
0
l
!