Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HDMI+DisplayPort Monitor?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 8, 2012 9:26:10 PM

I am currently building a rig, and I need new monitors for it. I would like to have three in total. I recently realized that the GPU I'm using (Sapphire Radeon HD 6950) only supports one HDMI slot. It has Dual DVI, and HDMI, and a DisplayPort. As far as I can tell, HDMI and DisplayPort are very similar, but this means that I need to find monitors that support both HDMI and DisplayPort. I have searched through Newegg's limited search function and TigerDirect, but to no avail. Could anyone give me a recommendation on a monitor? I'm looking for something that's basically this: (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...), but with HDMI and DisplayPort support. Does anyone know anything like that?

Any help is appreciated.
March 8, 2012 9:57:44 PM

I should have mentioned I'm getting two 6950s to Crossfire. This means I need to run one of the monitors off a DisplayPort.
Related resources
a c 122 C Monitor
March 8, 2012 11:46:51 PM

TechHunter16 said:
I should have mentioned I'm getting two 6950s to Crossfire. This means I need to run one of the monitors off a DisplayPort.

He was correct in his advice. He is using an active displayport adapter that let's him connect to a DVI monitor.
March 9, 2012 12:03:47 AM

I know, but I would like my monitors to run off HDMI or DisplayPort, not DVI. They are higher quality.

Best solution

a c 122 C Monitor
March 9, 2012 12:14:37 AM

HDMI is in no way shape or form better than DVI. Both are digital signals, but DVI gives you the option of Dual link that allow for larger than 1200p resolutions ore 120hz at 1080p. HDMI can't do either. Displayport is equal with DVI and possibly better with the ability to daisy chain (though I hear the hardware is still not out), and is AMD's preferred choice for HD3D.

For what they can display, all 3 are identical in quality, but HDMI has the least bandwidth.
March 9, 2012 12:15:55 AM

Then, why is everyone so hyped up about HDMI? Why is it replacing DVI if it's better?
a c 122 C Monitor
March 9, 2012 12:18:47 AM

TechHunter16 said:
Then, why is everyone so hyped up about HDMI? Why is it replacing DVI if it's better?

HDMI is not taking over DVI on PC's. DVI has never been on TV's, because TV's don't use high resolutions and do not use high refresh rates. HDMI's advantage for TV's is HDMI also carries sound.

On PC's, we don't typically hook up our sound to monitors, we have separate speakers.

The only place on computers that HDMI is taking over is with laptops, and I believe that is because they are being built to interface with TV's rather than monitors.
March 9, 2012 12:37:50 AM

Ah, so I could find a DVI monitor, and it would be better? Any recommendations on ones like the one I listed above, except with DVI?
a c 122 C Monitor
March 9, 2012 12:47:37 AM

I don't feel I could give you a real good choice, but every monitor I've ever seen either has DVI or displayport connections and many of HDMI as an alternate connection time. It shouldn't be hard to find one with DVI.
March 9, 2012 12:51:25 AM

Best advice I have heard about picking a monitor is to go local and look at them first hand. It's easy to return then if you end up not liking something about it.
March 9, 2012 12:53:32 AM

I may go to my local Best Buy or Micro Center or something. But other than that, any specific models?
March 9, 2012 1:09:29 AM

Thanks, but I would really like LED back-lighting. Also, the reviews aren't great on it. Many say they have dead pixels.
March 9, 2012 1:15:05 AM

Research the features that you want and head to your local dealer. See what your eyes like.

If you have a change of heart, just return them :) 
March 9, 2012 1:22:55 AM

Okay, thanks for the help :) 
March 9, 2012 1:23:29 AM

Best answer selected by TechHunter16.
!