Reasons why Halo2 is better than the original

Last response: in Video Games
July 16, 2005 2:05:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Improvements:

The storyline is more interesting.

The gameplay is more challenging, especially with the amount of Brutes
& Elite Hunters that need to be dealt with. The Flood with the
tentacles are also more menacing.

You are forced to really choose which weapons to wield. You can no
longer have a reliance on the shotgun due to the lack of ammo
available for it.

You get to pilot a variety of Terran & Covenant vehicles (fun!).

What got worse:

The game seems shorter overall. Halo2 only took me about 14 hours to
beat it. The original seemed to take 3 days.

The shotgun is definitely weaker.

===
"To buy an island is the same as courting a woman. You can never explain exactly why you love her. It's chemistry--something you cannot define--a feeling that you can stay forever."
-- Farhad Vladi, Islands (mag) Jul/Aug 2005

More about : reasons halo2 original

July 16, 2005 3:56:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Pistol is weaker. There is no ending. Numerous graphical glitches and
slow-downs. There is no ending.

Did I mention there's no ending?

- Jordan
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 6:06:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

coming from someone who's been playing First Person games since Tunnels
of Doom on the TI99/4A computer back in the early 80's (followed by
Doom and Duke Nukem, which just blew me away), i'll take Halo and Halo
2 any day of the week.

Halo 2 has pretty much everything Halo had, but it's more tightly
wound. Playing it on Heroic or Legendary will give a player an
intensity that i've found to be unrivaled.

So, it was short... the ending was totally weak... the weapons are
fruity... not a big deal for me. the game is designed to be a "go in
and clear 'em out" sci-fi cowboy shooter, and i have not been
disappointed for even one minute.
July 16, 2005 12:42:13 PM

"Ablang" <HilaryDuffPerfectMan@ablang-duff.com> wrote in message
> Improvements:
>
> The storyline is more interesting.
>
> The gameplay is more challenging, especially with the amount of Brutes
> & Elite Hunters that need to be dealt with. The Flood with the
> tentacles are also more menacing.
>
> You are forced to really choose which weapons to wield. You can no
> longer have a reliance on the shotgun due to the lack of ammo
> available for it.
>
> You get to pilot a variety of Terran & Covenant vehicles (fun!).
>
> What got worse:
>
> The game seems shorter overall. Halo2 only took me about 14 hours to
> beat it. The original seemed to take 3 days.
>
> The shotgun is definitely weaker.
>

> ===
> "To buy an island is the same as courting a woman. You can never
> explain exactly why you love her. It's chemistry--something you cannot
> define--a feeling that you can stay forever."
> -- Farhad Vladi, Islands (mag) Jul/Aug 2005

I was horribly disappointed when I played it, despite warnings that it was
pants.Which it is.
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 1:33:33 PM

"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Pistol is weaker. There is no ending. Numerous graphical glitches and
> slow-downs. There is no ending.
>
> Did I mention there's no ending?

No spoon either.
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 1:33:34 PM

Michael Cargill wrote:

> "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Pistol is weaker. There is no ending. Numerous graphical glitches and
> > slow-downs. There is no ending.
> >
> > Did I mention there's no ending?
>
> No spoon either.

or bananas
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

Ablang wrote:
> Improvements:
>
> The storyline is more interesting.
>
> The gameplay is more challenging, especially with the amount of Brutes
> & Elite Hunters that need to be dealt with. The Flood with the
> tentacles are also more menacing.
>
> You are forced to really choose which weapons to wield. You can no
> longer have a reliance on the shotgun due to the lack of ammo
> available for it.
>
> You get to pilot a variety of Terran & Covenant vehicles (fun!).
>
> What got worse:
>
> The game seems shorter overall. Halo2 only took me about 14 hours to
> beat it. The original seemed to take 3 days.
>
> The shotgun is definitely weaker.
>

> ===
> "To buy an island is the same as courting a woman. You can never explain exactly why you love her. It's chemistry--something you cannot define--a feeling that you can stay forever."
> -- Farhad Vladi, Islands (mag) Jul/Aug 2005

Xbox live. :)

--------------------THIS WEEKS CD PLAY-----------------
-------------------GATECRASHER CLASSICS----------------
July 16, 2005 6:03:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

HALO2 should have been called HALO1.5

"Ablang" <HilaryDuffPerfectMan@ablang-duff.com> wrote in message
> Improvements:
>
> The storyline is more interesting.
>
> The gameplay is more challenging, especially with the amount of Brutes
> & Elite Hunters that need to be dealt with. The Flood with the
> tentacles are also more menacing.
>
> You are forced to really choose which weapons to wield. You can no
> longer have a reliance on the shotgun due to the lack of ammo
> available for it.
>
> You get to pilot a variety of Terran & Covenant vehicles (fun!).
>
> What got worse:
>
> The game seems shorter overall. Halo2 only took me about 14 hours to
> beat it. The original seemed to take 3 days.
>
> The shotgun is definitely weaker.
>

> ===
> "To buy an island is the same as courting a woman. You can never
> explain exactly why you love her. It's chemistry--something you cannot
> define--a feeling that you can stay forever."
> -- Farhad Vladi, Islands (mag) Jul/Aug 2005
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 8:03:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Pistol is weaker. There is no ending. Numerous graphical glitches and
> slow-downs. There is no ending.

The graphical glitches during the cut-scenes are annoying, but are you
seriously saying that Halo 2 slows down more than the original? The graphics
are better and the solid framerate is far suprerior to Halo. The original
slowed down constantly while Halo 2, even during mass grenade explosion is
very stable.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 11:57:25 PM

"Hoodoo" <tobyandmaz@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> I totally agree, apart from the multiplayer, which I think is the only
good
> thing about Halo 2.
> I played the story through to the end once (well, its hardly an end !) and
> haven't touched the single player since, unlike the original Halo.

So by the sounds of it you completed the original Halo on Heroic and
Legendary, and you then went through Halo 2 on Normal - I did this and was a
bit underwhelmed until I started playing through on Heroic and Legendary.

I reckon that Halo 2 is a better game than the original in the same way that
Perfect Dark is a better game than Goldeneye on the N64 - the only problem
is that people expected to be wowed in the same way that they were wowed by
the original.
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 5:12:18 PM

"Michael Cargill" <mikementalist@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> "Hoodoo" <tobyandmaz@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> I totally agree, apart from the multiplayer, which I think is the only
> good
>> thing about Halo 2.
>> I played the story through to the end once (well, its hardly an end !)
>> and
>> haven't touched the single player since, unlike the original Halo.
>
> So by the sounds of it you completed the original Halo on Heroic and
> Legendary, and you then went through Halo 2 on Normal - I did this and was
> bit underwhelmed until I started playing through on Heroic and Legendary.
>
> I reckon that Halo 2 is a better game than the original in the same way
> that
> Perfect Dark is a better game than Goldeneye on the N64 - the only problem
> is that people expected to be wowed in the same way that they were wowed
> by
> the original.

You are absolutely right in your assumptions, but the thing is after
completing Halo on normal, I couldn't wait to play it on Heroic.
On completing Halo 2 all I felt was 'thank God that's over'.
Funnily enough, The best thing about Perfect Dark for me was the
multiplayer, just like it was on Halo 2.
I thought the single player on Perfect Dark had almost no atmosphere and a
confused, messy story.
I'm not even going to mention 'Elvis'.
July 18, 2005 9:10:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Michael Cargill" <mikementalist@myrealbox.com> wrote in

> "Hoodoo" <tobyandmaz@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
the
> only problem is that people expected to be wowed in the same way that
> they were wowed by the original.

Whats wrong with that :)  It wasnt the difficulty that got to me. It was
the level design, the story the graphics. I just didnt like it myself.

--
Transplants save lives! - Have you signed up to be a donor?
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk

Do something amazing today. Save a life, give blood.
http://www.blood.co.uk/

My games collection and Live games:
http://www.fooatari.plus.com/.
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 11:47:26 PM

> You are absolutely right in your assumptions, but the thing is after
> completing Halo on normal, I couldn't wait to play it on Heroic.
> On completing Halo 2 all I felt was 'thank God that's over'.

But that's my whole point - people were only glad that it was over because
playing Halo 2 on Normal is a borefest compared to Halo on Heroic/Legendary.
If I had to sit through the entire game of the original Halo on Normal I
would be incredibly bored.

When Halo first came out it was great on Normal because you had nothing to
compare it to, and it merely got better as you moved up the skill levels.
With Halo 2 it was boring on Normal as you were used to the thrills of
Heroic and Legendary on the first game so anything less just seems
pedestrian and boring.

> Funnily enough, The best thing about Perfect Dark for me was the
> multiplayer, just like it was on Halo 2.
> I thought the single player on Perfect Dark had almost no atmosphere and a
> confused, messy story.
> I'm not even going to mention 'Elvis'.

To me it is completely illogical for people to not like either Perfect Dark
or Halo 2 after thinking the original incarnations were fantastic. In some
ways the sequels may only a 1.5 version, but they still improve on each and
every aspect of the original in every way. I think people just get carried
away with their expectations.

I was a bit underwhelmed with Perfect Dark on the easiest skill level, but I
was loving the game on the higher settings.
July 19, 2005 10:29:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

I loved both games, having played FPS's from Doom onwards.

I agree that H2 has suffered greatly from trying to live up to the first
game.

I find it odd that so many people pan the graphics - it is a spectacular
game, visually. The accusations of "blurriness" are simply down to use of
bloom lighting rather than any engine shortcomings. The texture pop is
unsightly but I respect the choice they made - to load the textures directly
onto the models rather than make the player constantly wait for loading.
There is a huge amount of detail in the cutscenes.

Visually, and in terms of frame rate, it is WAY superior to the first game.
The only real problems are in the cut scenes and I don't really care about
them anyway. To be fair, they clearly pushed the engine right to its limits
in order to try and meet up to expectations, and went a little over on
performance.

Story - it was ok. I agree that the ending was amazingly anti-climactic.
Still intrigued as to what happened behind the scenes, because clearly no
one made that decision on the basis of storytelling motives. To be honest,
game narratives are still way, way behind films or books. I don't expect
much from them.

As for legendary... intense. My favourite bit was picking my way through on
earth. It becomes more of a strategy game than anything, trying to work out
how to take out the snipers. Took ages and loved every minute.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 10:58:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

In article <5CxCe.161500$Vj3.159698@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
tobyandmaz@blueyonder.co.uk says...

<snip>

> I totally agree, apart from the multiplayer, which I think is the only good
> thing about Halo 2.

Halo 2 multiplayer has one big flaw in that you can't turn off those
sodding over head icons. I'm still playing the original Halo on system
link becuase of that. One of my favourite game modes gets ruined by the
icons.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:01:11 AM

Dog Bowl wrote:
> In article <5CxCe.161500$Vj3.159698@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
> tobyandmaz@blueyonder.co.uk says...
>
> <snip>
>

>>I totally agree, apart from the multiplayer, which I think is the only good
>>thing about Halo 2.
>

> Halo 2 multiplayer has one big flaw in that you can't turn off those
> sodding over head icons. I'm still playing the original Halo on system
> link becuase of that. One of my favourite game modes gets ruined by the
> icons.

Get on xbox live with halo 2 its fooking great.

--------------------THIS WEEKS CD PLAY-----------------
-------------------GATECRASHER CLASSICS----------------
July 22, 2005 12:46:28 PM

"ScoopeX" <scoopex@xboxlive360.co.uk> wrote in message
> Dog Bowl wrote:
>> In article <5CxCe.161500$Vj3.159698@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
>> tobyandmaz@blueyonder.co.uk says...
>>
>> <snip>
>>>I totally agree, apart from the multiplayer, which I think is the only
>>>good thing about Halo 2.
>>

>> Halo 2 multiplayer has one big flaw in that you can't turn off those
>> sodding over head icons. I'm still playing the original Halo on system
>> link becuase of that. One of my favourite game modes gets ruined by the
>> icons.
>
> Get on xbox live with halo 2 its fooking great.

> --------------------THIS WEEKS CD PLAY-----------------
> -------------------GATECRASHER CLASSICS----------------

You're not wrong Scoopex
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 2:15:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

In article <42df7abd.161649796@216.196.109.144>, NOT@yahoo.com says...
> Dog Bowl <dogUNDERSCOREbowl@ntlFOODworld.com> Kissed me, Licked me,
> then left me a note:
>
> >> I totally agree, apart from the multiplayer, which I think is the only good
> >> thing about Halo 2.
> >
> >Halo 2 multiplayer has one big flaw in that you can't turn off those
> >sodding over head icons. I'm still playing the original Halo on system
> >link becuase of that. One of my favourite game modes gets ruined by the
> >icons.
>
> The icons work really well on live, as you play with people you get to
> know their icon and so can pinpoint whos where.. And most importantly
> the minute you see a warthog coming at you without an icon over it,
> you know its time to jump or die! :D

Aye but my favourite Halo game is 1 vs 12. With Icons it makes is
totally unplayable as everyone knowns who is getting shot at and which
players are on their team.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 3:27:15 PM

Dog Bowl wrote:
> In article <42df7abd.161649796@216.196.109.144>, NOT@yahoo.com says...
>
>>Dog Bowl <dogUNDERSCOREbowl@ntlFOODworld.com> Kissed me, Licked me,
>>then left me a note:

>>>Halo 2 multiplayer has one big flaw in that you can't turn off those
>>>sodding over head icons. I'm still playing the original Halo on system
>>>link becuase of that. One of my favourite game modes gets ruined by the
>>>icons.
>>
>>The icons work really well on live, as you play with people you get to
>>know their icon and so can pinpoint whos where.. And most importantly
>>the minute you see a warthog coming at you without an icon over it,
>>you know its time to jump or die! :D
>>

> Aye but my favourite Halo game is 1 vs 12. With Icons it makes is
> totally unplayable as everyone knowns who is getting shot at and which
> players are on their team.

Come on stop messing about send me a FR.I will give you a game over xbox
live some time. ;)

--------------------THIS WEEKS CD PLAY-----------------
--------------Faithless - the greatest hits------------
July 23, 2005 3:32:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

In article <8YoEe.27701$oh3.26683@fe05.buzzardnews.com>,
scoopex@xboxlive360.co.uk says...
> Dog Bowl wrote:
> > In article <42df7abd.161649796@216.196.109.144>, NOT@yahoo.com says...
> >
> >>Dog Bowl <dogUNDERSCOREbowl@ntlFOODworld.com> Kissed me, Licked me,
> >>then left me a note:

> >>The icons work really well on live, as you play with people you get to
> >>know their icon and so can pinpoint whos where.. And most importantly
> >>the minute you see a warthog coming at you without an icon over it,
> >>you know its time to jump or die! :D
> >>

> > Aye but my favourite Halo game is 1 vs 12. With Icons it makes is
> > totally unplayable as everyone knowns who is getting shot at and which
> > players are on their team.
>
> Come on stop messing about send me a FR.I will give you a game over xbox
> live some time. ;)

Blimey, have you just got ya leg over or summat. ;)
--

42 1 JumpeD up 1 H4d N0 1dE4 7h@ 1 W42 574Nd1N' 0N 7EH ENd 0F MY
k47he7er