Laptop Processor Speed Keeps Changing

I have a friends laptop that I'm cleaning off the spyware from. Hoping to
speed the thing up. The laptop is an HP Pavilion ZE4500 that has an Athlon
XP2500 in it. I know that desktops running the Athlon 2500 run at
approximately 2.00 GHz. I'm not sure what the laptop is suppose to run (if
it is different... not sure).

When I do a Properties on "My Computer" the computer fluctuates from 519Mhz
to 1.86GHz. I'm trying to figure out what would change this processor
speed. Why wouldn't stay at 1.86 (assuming that 1.86 is the max). The
battery is fully charged and I'm running with the laptop plugged into the
wall. Can someone clear this up.

Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about laptop processor speed changing

    " JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > When I do a Properties on "My Computer" the computer fluctuates from
    > 519Mhz to 1.86GHz. I'm trying to figure out what would change this
    > processor speed.

    To conserve battery power and reduce heat, many laptops "throttle back" the
    CPU to an idle speed whenever you are not pushing the system hard. Most
    people work exactly the same way :^)

    ---
    Anti-Spam address: my last name at his dot com
    Charles Gillen -- Reston, Virginia, USA

    " JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:2j4xd.384$1U6.136@trnddc09...
    | I have a friends laptop that I'm cleaning off the spyware from. Hoping to
    | speed the thing up. The laptop is an HP Pavilion ZE4500 that has an Athlon
    | XP2500 in it. I know that desktops running the Athlon 2500 run at
    | approximately 2.00 GHz. I'm not sure what the laptop is suppose to run (if
    | it is different... not sure).
    |
    | When I do a Properties on "My Computer" the computer fluctuates from 519Mhz
    | to 1.86GHz. I'm trying to figure out what would change this processor
    | speed. Why wouldn't stay at 1.86 (assuming that 1.86 is the max). The
    | battery is fully charged and I'm running with the laptop plugged into the
    | wall. Can someone clear this up.
    |
    | Thanks

    It could be overheating, and switching to half-power mode. Check all the
    power settings.

    Thanks! I'm not sure what to check ... as far as the power settings. When
    I check the Properties of the Desktop, I can see the power settings. This
    allows you to customize how/when you want to switch to Screen Saver, or
    turning off your disk, Hibernation... so forth.

    I was trying to find out if the speed slows down when the battery gets low,
    but I haven't found documentation on this yet. In this case, however, the
    battery is fully charged and the computer is still plugged in. It seems to
    switch between several different speeds and I can't isolate the Hows &
    Whens.

    Let me know if you have any other suggestions. I did consider the fact that
    it could be a faulty battery!!

    "a nonymous" <.> wrote:
    It could be overheating, and switching to half-power mode.
    Check all the power settings.

    " JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote:
    | Thanks! I'm not sure what to check ... as far as the power settings. When
    | I check the Properties of the Desktop, I can see the power settings. This
    | allows you to customize how/when you want to switch to Screen Saver, or
    | turning off your disk, Hibernation... so forth.
    |
    | I was trying to find out if the speed slows down when the battery gets low,
    | but I haven't found documentation on this yet. In this case, however, the
    | battery is fully charged and the computer is still plugged in. It seems to
    | switch between several different speeds and I can't isolate the Hows &
    | Whens.
    |
    | Let me know if you have any other suggestions.
    | I did consider the fact that it could be a faulty battery!!

    Settings:

    Control Panel
    Power

    There might be an entry specifically for this laptop, apart from the
    generic one which comes with XP.

    User Manual:
    Printed booklt
    Document on the hard drive
    HP website

    The speed may be reduced when the system is idle or when the battery
    gets low. You have no way of knowing if the battery is really fully
    charged. (The built-in battery monitor is only guessing.)
    However, since the laptop is plugged into the wall, the above should
    not be an issue (assuming that mains power is actually getting into
    the laptop. There should be an indicator light for this.)

    To isolate the battery as an issue, power down, unplug from the wall,
    remove the battery pack (there may be more than one of these),
    replug into the wall, power up and see what happens.

    The laptop could be overheating:
    environment too hot
    poor air circulation under the laptop
    clogged ventilation grilles
    dust on the CPU/heatsink

    fan not operational
    some other hardware problem

    maybe spyware is playing tricks

    Thanks for your help (everybody).
    I will research the this issue further. You guys got me going in the right
    direction.

> [...]
    > Power
    >
    > There might be an entry specifically for this laptop, apart from the
    > generic one which comes with XP.
    >
    > User Manual:
    > Printed booklt
    > Document on the hard drive
    > HP website
    >
    > The speed may be reduced when the system is idle or when the battery
    > gets low. You have no way of knowing if the battery is really fully
    > charged. (The built-in battery monitor is only guessing.)
    > However, since the laptop is plugged into the wall, the above should
    > not be an issue (assuming that mains power is actually getting into
    > the laptop. There should be an indicator light for this.)
    >
    > To isolate the battery as an issue, power down, unplug from the wall,
    > remove the battery pack (there may be more than one of these),
    > replug into the wall, power up and see what happens.

    JCO, try checking the BIOS out, specifically the Power Management settings.
    I know for Intel based laptops they have a power management feature called
    speedstep that allows the process to adjust its speed depending on a variety
    of conditions. It can't be adjusted through the windows gui, you have to go
    into the BIOS to change it.

    "JCO" wrote:

> [...]
    > > Power
    > >
    > > There might be an entry specifically for this laptop, apart from the
    > > generic one which comes with XP.
    > >
    > > User Manual:
    > > Printed booklt
    > > Document on the hard drive
    > > HP website
    > >
    > > The speed may be reduced when the system is idle or when the battery
    > > gets low. You have no way of knowing if the battery is really fully
    > > charged. (The built-in battery monitor is only guessing.)
    > > However, since the laptop is plugged into the wall, the above should
    > > not be an issue (assuming that mains power is actually getting into
    > > the laptop. There should be an indicator light for this.)
    > >
    > > To isolate the battery as an issue, power down, unplug from the wall,
    > > remove the battery pack (there may be more than one of these),
    > > replug into the wall, power up and see what happens.

Configuration Laptops Processors Windows XP