Sign in with
Your question

Fixed Budget GPU For gaming GTA IV

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 8, 2012 10:01:21 PM

hi everyone, i decided to start a new thread on this topic since the last one i found was from 2008. and seeing that since 08' there has been many new gfx cards out to the market, i was wondering if someone could give me some good suggestions that know what GPU i can get for $200 or under, to run GTA IV at atleast high settings and will give me a little better FPS. to start,and compare im currently running a PNY Geforce GT430 card 1Gb DDR3 128Bit i do belive. its not even meant for gaming, but i benchmark my game Settings- 1366x768 medium textures, Medium reflection resolution, low water quality, shadow quality is low, night shadows OFF,view distance 80, detail distance 30,vehicle density is 51. and i get on average 22Fps. so im mainly looking to get a new-better GAMING card to get at LEAST the full 30Fps average while keeping or even being able to increase my current game settings. id prefer a Geforce card, and $200 or under PciE X16 and it can have x1 or X2 6 pin power connectors. the new psu im getting will have dual 6 pins for the gfx card,the only other major hardware ill be running is a amd quad-core 95Watt a HDD and a bunch of ventilation case fans. so im sure power wont be any problems with a new card. thanks for any help, always greatly appricated!
PS- must have dual monitor support hdmi and vga are required, or i can get an adapter as long as it has dual monitor support. THANKS AGAIN! :) 
March 8, 2012 11:10:50 PM

If you can get 220 dollars, I can not recommend this card enough. The gtx 560 ti is a tried and tested card. On top of that, it is currently the ~8th most powerful graphics card on the planet. Depending on your processor, it should easily run gta iv around ~40 fps with much higher settings. If you upgrade to this after a gt 430, it will rock your world. Period.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

However... If you can't budge, you can only look at the hd 6850 and the gtx 460. They are the next step down from a 560 ti, and the next tier where price/performance falls into balance.

P.s. gta iv is one of the most poorly coded games ever made, even a 500$ gtx 580 can't max it. HOWEVER, the cards listed above will run it a lot smoother than a gt 430.
m
l
Related resources
March 9, 2012 7:05:52 AM

Darth415 said:
If you can get 220 dollars, I can not recommend this card enough. The gtx 560 ti is a tried and tested card. On top of that, it is currently the ~8th most powerful graphics card on the planet. Depending on your processor, it should easily run gta iv around ~40 fps with much higher settings. If you upgrade to this after a gt 430, it will rock your world. Period.

However... If you can't budge, you can only look at the hd 6850 and the gtx 460. They are the next step down from a 560 ti, and the next tier where price/performance falls into balance.

P.s. gta iv is one of the most poorly coded games ever made, even a 500$ gtx 580 can't max it. HOWEVER, the cards listed above will run it a lot smoother than a gt 430.

sweet man, i heard ALOT about the GTX 460 being a great card for GTA as well, ill absolutely check out the 560 ti as well. i actually buy all my hardware from newegg as well, convenient. thank you very much for your input! ps- my Processor is a Quad core AMD 640 at 3.0Ghz not OC'D
m
l
March 9, 2012 7:08:23 AM

GI_JONES said:
Look at the gtx 560's on newegg, they run $175 to $200, and most have rebates. They perform quite well.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Here is a link to a good one, and about the best deal on these right now

i have checked out both cards and i have to say while they BOTH are very nice and without a doubt 10X better then my current one lol, i may go with the 560 Ti version. i have about a month or so to decide but both look very promising. thank you too for your input!
m
l
March 9, 2012 7:41:17 AM

Darth415 said:

sorry for a second reply but i actually JUST realized that the size of the card will probably be an issue,would you mind to verify? this is the mobo i current have http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportDocume... i think it may hit or block one of my ram slots. if so its not much of a problem,seeing i might as well upgrade the mobo too, will this board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... be good with that card, and my AMD Athlon 640? thank you so much once again,im still learning.
m
l
March 10, 2012 4:12:16 AM

Unless your ram hangs over the side of the slot it should not hit.

Asrock makes terrific boards, so I have no doubt that that is the best(or one of the best) that you can get for the price. I would recommend it.

Gta Iv will be bottlenecked by that processor. No doubt about it. It is sad though, since that processor can handle much more complex games like bf3 and metro 2033. Dont forget that Gta Iv is simply VERY hard to get running well.(bad coding) the board you are looking at, however, will make it extremely easy to upgrade in the future. Do not buy the board yet though, I am going to check if the processor you have is compatible, and report back tomorrow(or today depending on how you look at it)
m
l
March 10, 2012 12:54:14 PM

Ok. I just checked, and that processor is compatible with that board. I also checked out the board, and it is very good. It is also a good deal at that price. I would go with the asrock, and look no further.

Any graphics card you get will work on that, and as a bonus, that board can support sli/crossfire if you want it.

m
l
March 10, 2012 6:51:23 PM

Darth415 said:
Ok. I just checked, and that processor is compatible with that board. I also checked out the board, and it is very good. It is also a good deal at that price. I would go with the asrock, and look no further.

Any graphics card you get will work on that, and as a bonus, that board can support sli/crossfire if you want it.

okay great, at second look i too, thought it will JUST fit, since the board side of the gpu faces the ram slots it should sit veryy close to the slots latch/clip that locks the ram in place. i haven't actually noticed any bottle-necking from my cpu to be honest, though it may be something different but it never reaches 100% load while playing. i suspect it MAY be possible im not playing the original GTA IV i have the newer one Episodes from liberty city. it may be possible THIS newer one was coded better,not too sure. but as for the gpu you recommended, ill more then likely get that, and use it on my current mobo untill i can get enough to buy the asrock and swap mine out. yes i know its sli ready as well which makes it even sweeter seeing my case has like 7 free pci slots for cards on the back, and yes from what i have seen asrock makes some amazing boards, especially compared to the stock one im using from my original Compaq machine. very limited, and DDR2 is quite expensive compared to ddr3 which is a shame really. thank you for you help and advice once again. in another month or two ill try and remember to message you back,on how everything goes with that new gpu added to my rig. take care and thanks again! EDIT- sorry half of the reply message was also to GI_jones
m
l
March 11, 2012 1:05:26 AM

I didn't mean that your cpu was bottlenecking it currently, i mean that it will bottleneck when you move up to a graphics card that is capable of running the game at a higher fps. My friend had a desktop with a quad core phenom 2 at 3.2 ghz with a 560ti, and when he moved to a 2500k with the same graphics card, he got more than a 20 fps boost in that game. however, with that processor you should get around 45 fps. Also, GTA4 Liberty city is an addon that uses the same base game with different textures and a different story, so the coding is the same.
m
l
March 11, 2012 9:10:07 PM

Darth415 said:
I didn't mean that your cpu was bottlenecking it currently, i mean that it will bottleneck when you move up to a graphics card that is capable of running the game at a higher fps. My friend had a desktop with a quad core phenom 2 at 3.2 ghz with a 560ti, and when he moved to a 2500k with the same graphics card, he got more than a 20 fps boost in that game. however, with that processor you should get around 45 fps. Also, GTA4 Liberty city is an addon that uses the same base game with different textures and a different story, so the coding is the same.

ahh okay i understand what you mean now, yeah that's highly a possibility. i dont need to completely maxx everything though, im mainly just looking for a high-high medium-medium -medium settings off the game, and my resolution isn't too big @ 1366x native. as for the game itself, i knew nothing on how "LCS" was made, therefore your more then likely correct it does use the same coding which is quite a shame,since obviously my rig and many other peoples similar to mine have the easy potential to run even better more graphic games but the poor game coding hold many of us back. thanks for the input.
m
l
March 13, 2012 7:28:02 AM

just did a quick and pretty accurate measurement of my current video card to the size of a 560 ti "9.4inches'' or so, seems most likely sadly, the 560ti would never fit on my current mobo. i think ill get the asrock 970 extreme to start with, then get the 560 ti. the 560 ti will be compatible with the 970 asrock? and would i need to do anything with the bios when i first get it, to be able to run my Athlon 640? thanks!
m
l
March 18, 2012 6:10:20 AM

Sorry for the wait. The 560 ti WILL be compatible with the asrock. I do have a question though. The motherboard you currently have is a micro atx (aka small), while the asrock is a full atx. The asrock has 7 expansion slots, while yours has 4. Are you sure your case will accept the longer board? The easiest way to check is to simply look at the back of your case and see if there are 7 slots. If not, there are some perfectly acceptable micro atx boards out there as well(these will also cost less).

No, you would not have to do anything to the bios to make the board run your 640. The motherboard will accept it as soon as you drop it into the slot.
m
l
March 21, 2012 3:35:33 PM

Darth415 said:
Sorry for the wait. The 560 ti WILL be compatible with the asrock. I do have a question though. The motherboard you currently have is a micro atx (aka small), while the asrock is a full atx. The asrock has 7 expansion slots, while yours has 4. Are you sure your case will accept the longer board? The easiest way to check is to simply look at the back of your case and see if there are 7 slots. If not, there are some perfectly acceptable micro atx boards out there as well(these will also cost less).

No, you would not have to do anything to the bios to make the board run your 640. The motherboard will accept it as soon as you drop it into the slot.

im quite sure my case will take any size mobo as stated by cooler master, my current mobo is 9.6 x 9.6" and there alot of space left for larger boards, as well like i said, cooler master states my case "elite 430" will accept any size atx. i belive it has 7 or maybe 8 expansion slots. ive decided to go with a evga 550 Ti for the time being since its JUST within my budget,and will substantially be better in every way possible, in some factors as much as 157% est better performance. ive checked around and its capable of pulling 40-50fps on gta iv, which is my primary pc game of choice,and thats at all high settings. i only plan on running about 60-75% max settings for gameplay at a 1360X res, so i shouldnt have any fps problems with a 550 ti. as for my current mobo, being an older narra5 by hp/compaq im almost 100% positive a 560 or 550 would never fit, its 9" card length would go right over my sata ports anyways. the full upgrade route seems the best. and in the future the asrock 970 will give me great upgrade options such as SLI physX, 8 core cpu's and more then enough ram to do anything id ever need. NP for the delayed response. and as always thank you for your feedback
-EDIT 550 ti compared to my current GT 430-
m
l
March 21, 2012 3:44:45 PM

I run GTA IV on high settings with a GTX 560M or Mobile one since I have a laptop. I get an average of 43FPS, which is perfectly fine. on cpubenchmark.net, the performance rating of the card I have is 1,267 and the 560 ti is nearly 3000. a 550ti is more then you need to run GTA IV perfectly fine, maybe even on ultra high graphics.
m
l
March 22, 2012 1:58:32 PM

pickleman_42 said:
I run GTA IV on high settings with a GTX 560M or Mobile one since I have a laptop. I get an average of 43FPS, which is perfectly fine. on cpubenchmark.net, the performance rating of the card I have is 1,267 and the 560 ti is nearly 3000. a 550ti is more then you need to run GTA IV perfectly fine, maybe even on ultra high graphics.

sweet, thats great news to hear. i too have seen 550 Ti's being more then enough to run gta iv as well as many other games, at a playable 30+FPS. im not looking to go crazy with my graphics or have ultra gameplay, just more of having it look good and being playable.thank you for your great feedback
m
l
!