Mini ITX Gaming Build for $1000

termhn

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: this week

Budget Range: $1100 Before rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Movie Editing, Hackintosh

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, not too partial but i don't want to source to a ton of different sites.

Parts Preferences: by brand or type Intel CPU, miniITX motherboard obviously

Overclocking: yes

SLI or Crossfire: no

Monitor Resolution: 1024x768, 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I'd like it quiet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current thinking:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=24093267

I love the Idea of the Q08 case.

1) With a 2500K, you presumably want to oveclock.
For that, look at a Z77 based motherboard which should cost consideably more, like this asus ASUS P8Z77-I
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131840
With no OC, look for the cheaper 2500.

2) If you are near a microcenter, they will sell you a 2500K for $170, or a 3570K for $190. A unbeatable deal.

3) If you plan on an aftermarket cooler, shop carefully. The height on the Q08 is restrictive.
As far as I can tell, the best one that will fit is the tr axp140.

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
If you really want to use the computer as a Hackinstosh then you should go with an AMD card. They're generally better supported though some of the higher in cards like the 69xx and 79xx use a different architecture that is not supported on OSX.

CPU HSF:
You absolutely do not want to use the stock CPU cooler when you overclock. It will be VERY NOISY. You'll need to investigate which ones will fit properly.

Asus Ivy Bridge:
I know this motherboard is a lot more money, but I thought I'd provide a link anyway. This thing is absolutely incredible:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=71116&vpn=P8Z77-I%20Deluxe&manufacture=ASUS

This is the motherboard I've been recommending to enthusiasts of gaming on SFF. Here's an Asus video that goes in depth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC5urB5NoBU

Differences of note:
- redesigned to support larger CPU HSF
- addon voltage board for overclocking CPU stability
- newer Realtek audio chip
- wi-fi Go
- PCIe v3
- supports newer 22nm CPU's
- Virtu

*Virtu can be really confusing. You'll need to spend some time reading on this. You don't have to use it. However, it does allow you to connect to the motherboard via HDMI even though you have a dedicated graphics card.

The main confusing thing is that some games are FASTER when hooked up to the motherboard and some games run a little slower so this bears further investigation.

termhn

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
I actually originally had the AsRock version of that MoBo on the build as well as a Kuhler 620 and a 560 ti 448 cores. Also do you think it would be worth it to get an aftermarket cooler to overclock the CPU instead of a 670? I think the 670 would have a greater impact and I can always get a CPU cooler later.

termhn

Distinguished
May 26, 2011

There's a chart of compatible cards on the TonyMacOSx86 website and even if it's not natively supported someone has probably made a kext for it if it's a popular card.

Most games are graphics limited, not cpu limited.
Stick with the GTX670 and the stock cooler if need be.

termhn

Distinguished
May 26, 2011

cool. would it be worth it to go with the Z77 board in your opinion. I could probably squeeze it in under my budget...

Only YOU can determine worth.

If you want to OC that 2500K, and it is easy to get it to 4.0-4.0, then you need a P67 or Z77 based motherboard. Unfortunately, they are a bit more expensive.
In the long run, I think you might regret closing out that option.