Sign in with
Your question

NZXT Phantom with a 240mm Radiator

Last response: in Components
August 29, 2012 12:09:45 AM

Hello guys,

I have bought an NZXT Phantom Full tower case along with a 240mm Liquid cooling Radiator. Here is the link to the Radiator and it is cheaper than the Corsair H100 and better performing:

http://svgtech.net/product/hoc-40/

Now this Radiator is thicker than the Corsair H100 and I have issues fitting it inside the Phantom full tower with the radiator mounts. So what I did was, I fitted the Radiator to the 4 screws in the center by removing the top 200mm fan. But I am unable to fit the fans inside the case because the Radiator is too thick and the Vengeance ram is also huge. So I installed the fans outside that is on top of the Radiator. I am now unable to close the top panel as it touches my fan. But somehow I managed to close it but the fan still touches the top panel.

Now my question is, I want to do a push/pull setup on the Radiator. I will get the Yateloon's 120mmx20mm fans for the top but for the bottom even the 20mm fans will not fit and I am sure about it because the heatsink of my 790FX-GD70 motherboard is too large. So can I get the Scythe Slipstream 12mm fans to setup inside the case in push/pull with the Yateloon's.

or should all the fans be of the same CFM. The slipstream 12mm fans 2000rpm have 42CFM but the Yateloons have 64 CFM I believe. Please help me out with this.

Please refer to this link as I have the top fans installed the same way as this guy in the article:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2215611
a c 128 ) Power supply
August 29, 2012 3:20:16 AM

There is no real requirement to balance your airflow as far as CFM for a radiator. In push/pull the fans will compliment each other. Ideally, you would want to match your fan's static pressure and CFM to your radiator fin count and match all fans but since that information isn't readily available, it becomes a trial and error thing. Personally, once I get the fans set up (whichever I end up using) and am satisfied with my temperatures, it's a done deal. I only start swapping fans around when it seems I'm not getting the temps I expect.
m
l
a c 80 ) Power supply
August 29, 2012 4:00:22 AM

If the fans cfm don't match then one set will either run faster or one set will run slower. In a push/pull setup you want to have matching cfm and rpm because if the Scythe fans can't turn any faster to keep up with the Yateloons then the Yateloons will slow down to the speed of the Scythe fans.
You don't really need a push/pull configuration unless you are haveing heat issues , so I would just go ahead and set up the Yateloon fans and see if your temps are high and if they are then you can do something about it.
Worse case you can ditch the fans and get a piar of 100 cfm fans.
m
l
Related resources
a c 128 ) Power supply
August 29, 2012 4:43:04 AM

inzone said:
...if the Scythe fans can't turn any faster to keep up with the Yateloons then the Yateloons will slow down to the speed of the Scythe fans.

This is not accurate according to the laws of fluid dynamics. It is akin to saying if you have two water pumps of different flow rates you would only achieve the flow of the slower one. In fact, the more powerful fan will have an increased stress put on the motor while the weaker fan will have a decreased stress while they attempt to balance the flow between them. Since it is easier to push than to pull, the weaker fan in the pull position would not have to work as hard, while the stronger fan in the push position would have some of the pressure relieved from it by the pulling fan allowing it to work with less strain than if it were pushing only. Hence the statement, they would compliment each other.
m
l
a c 110 ) Power supply
August 29, 2012 6:09:41 AM

It's not about CFM, more about static pressure ;) 

That's why the Scythe Gentle Typhoons perform so well even though they don't give that much CFM.
m
l
August 29, 2012 12:45:08 PM

amuffin said:
It's not about CFM, more about static pressure ;) 

That's why the Scythe Gentle Typhoons perform so well even though they don't give that much CFM.

Well, can you recommend any 120mm x 20mm and 120mm and 15mm or 12mm fans with good static pressure for my 240 RAD?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 29, 2012 1:03:58 PM

Yateloons are a poor choice, not only because of performance, but because they are loud.

The new Corsair SP Performance Fans are quite good for radiator cooling. Also Noiseblocker BlackSilentPro SL2, Nanoxia FX Evo (albeit they are a bit loud at 12V) and Silverstone AP121. And than there are the new Noiseblocker eLoop B12 series, which are just high tech stuff. The B12-4 pushes up to 2.74 mmH²O. ;) 
m
l
August 29, 2012 1:15:50 PM

whatsthatnoise said:
Yateloons are a poor choice, not only because of performance, but because they are loud.

The new Corsair SP Performance Fans are quite good for radiator cooling. Also Noiseblocker BlackSilentPro SL2, Nanoxia FX Evo (albeit they are a bit loud at 12V) and Silverstone AP121. And than there are the new Noiseblocker eLoop B12 series, which are just high tech stuff. The B12-4 pushes up to 2.74 mmH²O. ;) 

Dude, I am looking for 120 x 20mm fans and not 25mm's. Please suggest any 20mm or less sized fans because my RAD is too thick inside the phantom full tower.
m
l
a c 128 ) Power supply
August 29, 2012 1:35:02 PM

I'm going to suggest the Scythe Slip Stream Slim models, they come in 4 versions 800cfm to 2000rpm - in push/pull I would expect them to perform adequately, they are only 12mm thick so I wouldn't expect miracles. The faster ones are reported to be loud. The impeller design seems to indicated to me a higher static pressure than you would get out of a standard fan design.
m
l
a c 80 ) Power supply
August 29, 2012 4:20:28 PM

C12Friedman said:
This is not accurate according to the laws of fluid dynamics. It is akin to saying if you have two water pumps of different flow rates you would only achieve the flow of the slower one. In fact, the more powerful fan will have an increased stress put on the motor while the weaker fan will have a decreased stress while they attempt to balance the flow between them. Since it is easier to push than to pull, the weaker fan in the pull position would not have to work as hard, while the stronger fan in the push position would have some of the pressure relieved from it by the pulling fan allowing it to work with less strain than if it were pushing only. Hence the statement, they would compliment each other.

That's a fine statement except for the fact that in this case the weaker fan is in the push position and the stronger fan is in the pull position and the postitions cannot be reversed because of the space consraints inside the case making him seek out 20mm or less thicker fans.
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
August 29, 2012 4:23:14 PM

One thing to consider is the use of a fancontroller to slow down faster fans and achieve balanced speeds that way,
one good thing about that cooler is the fittings used, you can remove them, mount the rad outside the case,add a T-line in then refill/bleed the loop using that,
I prefer matched fans on rads for simplicity and aesthetics but its by no means set in stone that you 'must' do it, you just have to work a little smarter to match the speeds and thats too much effort for me :p 

Moto
m
l
!