Amd Fx 8120 Setup

JAYFRESH1271

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Thermaltake Overseer RX-I Full Tower Gaming Case, COOLMAX ZP-750B APFC/V2.3/EPS12V/V2.92 80+ BRONZE, Amd Fx 8120 Cpu, 8 gigs Corsair Vengeance Lp memory, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB GDDR5 PCIe 2.0, Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler, WD Caviar Blue 1TB SATA HD 7200/32MB/SATA-6G, Sony Optiarc 24X DVDRW SATA OEM Is this a Good Or Decend Setup i am putting together got the parts yesterday the only game i play is Flight Sim X ?

That would be the best option for you to do! :)

The FX-8120 isn't all that bad anyway, it's about on-par with an i5 2500k so you shouldn't worry too much. Just OC it in the future if you run into any bottlenecking issues.

Yeah, definitely! A very mild/modest OC that will give you a little bit of a performance boost :) It shouldn't require too much volts either; win-win situation ;)

pevkovic

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Jay your setup isnt bad however for they money spent u could have went with a better choice of hardware in my opinion.

I would send back the FX-8120, Noctua cooler, Motherboard ofc and the 550 ti while getting for the same money a i3-2120 with stock cooling paired with a hd 7870 for much better bang for your buck. The new mobo should cost as much as the old one.

Check out the build i m suggesting and see if there s a way to make some changes depending if u are up to it or not. :p

Just my 2 cents.

pevkovic

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Indeed Vickus most ppl here know what they are talking about. The FX series is worse than the Phenoms for gaming. 965BE can surpass some intel CPUs too if u can get a decent overclock on it.

You bring up some good points, however, don't forget the X4 965 can only match up to an i5 23xx series of CPU's, anything higher than that and they get smoked, even with an OC.

Even though the some FX series (FX-41xx, FX-61xx, the FX-81xx can actually match Phenoms) may be worse than the Phenom II's for gaming, the FX-8120/8150 is actually very decent. It may not perform like a Phenom on single threaded applications, but it will surely compensate for that in its multi-threaded performance.

pevkovic

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Well the 8120 is good enuff if u take its price into account but i couldnt explain why someone would choose to go for the 8150 if his main use is for gaming.

That said the 965 is about 100bucks and can outperform even the 8150 at 190USD mainly cause in gaming u dont use more that 2 cores usually and a phenom's core is stronger than an FX's. There are some games that can benefit from 4 cores but they are few in number.

When u compare the 965 to intel u can get it to perform head to head with a i5-2320 @ 180USD which isnt a small feat. If i remember correctly 965 is a bit behind 23xx even when OC'd but only by a slight margin.

Now if there was a way to use all 8 cores we would have a different discussion.

Botton line is that the 965BE is the best CPU under 110 pounds.

Yes, it's definitely not worth the money getting an FX-8150 considering the price point.

However, it is well known that the X4 965's are a worthy contender in the budget/performance market, I would rather not bring this discussion up in this thread due to OP already having the FX-8150. If he were still in the planning stage of his rig, I would definitely bring up more to try and steer OP away from his CPU, however.

Long story short, the FX-8150 isn't half bad, just OC it and you'll be happy, OP :)

pevkovic

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
I agree Mocchan, as u said i wouldnt like to drag this any more in another person's thread. But the thing is if u are a gamer and u buy an FX CPU there s always someone that will tell you "why oh why did u buy this processor?". With the 965BE there s no such fear.

Cheers xD

Edit: I must be slow cause i realised i am "that" guy after posting this reply -.-

Haha yeah, that's true..

But nah, don't worry about it :) at least you're not flaming OP for purchasing his CPU and bashing! You brought up some valid points that other forum members may be able to learn from in the future :)

FX 8120 is 1% slower than a Thuban at stock clocks in light threading games, and up to 7% faster in multi threaded games. In instances a FX 8120 in threaded games surpass the i5 2500/2400 at stock clocks.

In theory yes the Phenoms are better gamers but thats because they are optimized to single threaded performance, getting to a FX 81XX level its no longer the case.

Games that use lots of threads, Metro, SC2, Civilization, BF3 the FX can actually beat the 2500K at stock clocks.

PhenomII vs Zambezi its so relative at FX 81XX its not worth the fuss but the OP has not got a fX 6XXX or 4XXX so its a moot point, the FX 81XX is mostly faster than the fastest Phenom II and then you get to memory controllers, the Phenoms II are old and antiquated the FX IMC is more that 2x faster.