Hyper 212+ Mounting Concern

I'll first say mounting this heat sink was a pain in the a$$!!! And instructions were not at all clear.
...I should have youtubed it first for clear mounting instructions

That being said, I got the darn thing on and it's sitting pretty tight! Unfortunately I had to put a little more muscle into pushing those spring down to get the screws in than I would have liked. This normal?

My concern is whether or not the heatsink is on the actual cpu or part of it is on the locking bracket above the cpu, causing it to be raised a bit. I did this the first time I installed it, visibly saw some of the cpu, so I installed it again. This time I can't see the CPU at all, but still concerned. Is it suppose to fall into place above the cpu?

Maybe that's why it was so hard to screw it on? Should I be concerned part of the heatsink is on the black bracket?
Even if it is, would it matter since it screwed it on real tight.

Also I put it on horizontal rather than vertical not realizing vertical was how it was supposed to be, but upon reading some posts on here I guess it's a preference of airflow. And horizontal might even be more ideal.

I kinda don't wanna mess with it anymore due to screw stripping or being to hard on the motherboard or processor.

So any input is welcome. Maybe someone can ease my mind. :/
15 answers Last reply
More about hyper mounting concern
  1. A picture of the final install might help but if not then we'll have to go with your description.
    The thing I can tell you is this if the top of the cpu is covered by the heatsink and the space is equal all the way around the socket then you should be alright.
    I'm not sure how part of the heatsink can be on the black bracket but here's where a picture comes in handy.
  2. +1 to the picture
  3. Which motherboard did you install this cooler on? I'm a little confused/concerned about the 'black bracket'. What does this exactly mean?

Also, the first two or three screws shouldn't be too hard to screw in (in most cases) however, the fourth screw is ALWAYS a pain in the Royal *** :lol:

If you're still concerned, you can always unscrew it and mount it as shown in YouTube videos :)
  4. Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the quick responses. I'm probably (hopefully) just being anal

top:

bottom pic 1:

bottom pic 2:
  5. Thanks for the pictures and there are two things I want to say and the first is that you may have an issue with the ram slots since you instaslled the heatsink in that direction , it really should be rotated 90 degrees so that the fan would blow towards the rear of the case.
    Second is I'm trying to figure out what that green thing is beneath the heatsink and on top of the cpu.
  6. I agree with inzone's recommendation of rotating the heatsink. Unless you have very short RAM sticks without heatspreaders, you will definitely run into clearance issue.

Also I'm guessing that 'green thing' is the PCB(?) of the CPU.
  7. If that green thing is the pcb of the cpu then why are we seeing it? You can see it on both sides and I know on my cpu socket I can't see any green.
  8. That's a good point actually...I can't recall seeing any green on my PC...

**EDIT**
    My apologies....It was my lack of memory, you DO see green on your CPU while it is installed.
  9. When you installed it, Did you install it by using the screws in a star pattern(same way you torque your rims on a car).

so

1           4

3           2

You just turn 1-2 turns at each point then start at 1 again. Without it, the heatsink can end up uneven.

The 212 screws have never been hard(in fact, the screws bottom out when you are done. no excessive turning is needed and can actually damage the thread or worse break the screws) to turn(the high sprint tension from the x bar is normal) from the ones I have had.

It is also hard to see if the heatsink is slanted off the cpu or just twisted in the image. Twisted is fine, slanted is not.

The heatsink pointing up will not hurt anything.

10. @ OP
    Picture of my socket :sweat: I gave myself a scare...
  11. mocchan said:
    http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc370/wakaranai1432/DSCF0708.jpg
    @ OP
    Picture of my socket :sweat: I gave myself a scare...

Ok , maybe your right (I hope so) it just seemed odd to me that you could see the green of the pcb on both sides of the heatsink base. Is the base ot the 212 that small?
  12. inzone said:
    Ok , maybe your right (I hope so) it just seemed odd to me that you could see the green of the pcb on both sides of the heatsink base. Is the base ot the 212 that small?

I can't see any of the green when the Hyper 212 is installed vertically (like you recommended). However, I DO see green when I install it how the OP did it in his picture.

So yes, I would think the base of the 212 is small width wise due to how it was designed to be used.

**EDIT WITH PICTURES**

Hyper 212 installed horizontally (like OP)

Hyper 212 installed vertically (inzone's recommendation)
  13. Yup it painfull but it works, :D

as inzone said, i also put the heatsink inline/parallel with ram slot,

if u had tall ram u could move the fan to rear or u can up the bracket for fan a little (still works great that way)
  14. Thank you guys so much for the replies.

RAM:
    You are correct about the RAM. I cannot install RAM that has a heatsink in the dim closest to the cpu heatsink. But I only have 2 sticks. So I can do B D, rather than slots A C. So lucky there (unless i wanted to go 4 sticks on the future).

Cooling:
    My case, Corsair 300R, has grills all around for heat pull or push.
    I'm actually thinking horizontal is better so it pushes air through the top.
    If I have it vertical then pretty much all of the air is being pushed through the back.
    My config (which I can change) is back top fan -out, top 2 fans out, front 2 fans in, 2 side in.

Orientation:
    The heat sink is a tad bit crooked, good eye. But it does** seems to be pretty level. I guess I could put a level on top of it to check..

Still 50/50 about changing to vertical. I am concerned about 1) airflow if I do that and 2) that I already ruined some of the screw threading

Anyway I hope it's good and I'm just being paranoid :)
    Feedback is certainly appreciated
  15. libra21 said:
    Thank you guys so much for the replies.

RAM:
    You are correct about the RAM. I cannot install RAM that has a heatsink in the dim closest to the cpu heatsink. But I only have 2 sticks. So I can do B D, rather than slots A C. So lucky there (unless i wanted to go 4 sticks on the future).

Cooling:
    My case, Corsair 300R, has grills all around for heat pull or push.
    I'm actually thinking horizontal is better so it pushes air through the top.
    If I have it vertical then pretty much all of the air is being pushed through the back.
    My config (which I can change) is back top fan -out, top 2 fans out, front 2 fans in, 2 side in.

Orientation:
    The heat sink is a tad bit crooked, good eye. But it doesn't seems to be pretty level. I guess I could put a level on top of it to check..

Still 50/50 about changing to vertical. I am concerned about 1) airflow if I do that and 2) that I already ruined some of the screw threading

Anyway I hope it's good and I'm just being paranoid :)
    Feedback is certainly appreciated

As tight as the Hyper 212 screws on, it can still slide around a little bit, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

If you're pushing to the top of the case, intaking from the bottom, you may get warmer temperatures on your CPU due to your GPU's heat. This may or may not concern you, however, it is still something I would prefer to think about.

I have had my CPU pushing air to the back of the case for a VERY long time, and not once have I encountered any problems. Mind you my case is not airflow oriented like yours (Obsidian 550D with only the 3 stock fans - 2 front intake, 1 rear exhaust) and I haven't run into any temperature issues. I wouldn't think you would have any issues either considering the amount of intake/exhaust you currently have.

Also about your ram sticks, you will want to use slots A, B or C, D (if the order of the slots is A-C-B-D that is) so you can take advantage of Dual Channel. If your RAM slots are configured in A-B-C-D, then you would want to use either A-C or B-D.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cooler Master CPUs Components