NVIDIA driver 295.73 makes monitor go dark after Win7 logo.

jsnfyl

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
**SOLVED see my post below

NVIDIA's current driver 295.73 makes my monitor go dark after the Windows 7 load screen right at the user login screen. I can see the BIOS and the swirling Windows animation then nothing. Only this monitor though and I believe the driver is killing off the Displayport input because I've tested HDMI, VGA to DVI, and DVI monitors and they all work fine. The OSD of my monitor activates when this occurs as if I've pulled the plug out.

Currently I'm back on the previous WHQL driver 285.62 (rolling back to this gave me my computers first BSOD :fou: )

What should I do?

Monitor: Samsung S27A750D
GPU: MSI N580GTX Lightning Xtreme Edition

rush21hit

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Have you ever tried to open the case and clean the PCI lane? I think you should.

Or, if your motherboard has more than one PCI Express 16x lane, which supposedly meant for dual GPU setup, you might want to try to jack it up to another lane.

rorouni

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2012
What update did you install? WHQL or maybe the Beta update... when hardware(cables) trouble shooting didnt work try reinstalling again previous driver version.. if it works fine after then the driver installation may be the cause,,

jsnfyl

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012

WHQL - wiped in safemode and tried install again, no luck.

Rolled back to previous thats what I'm on now and it works fine.

Its not a hardware issue its a driver issue. 295.73 doesn't work for my setup but there has to be a reason why outside of cleaning something or messing with a cable.

jsnfyl

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I got a reply from ManuelG of NVIDIA Technical Support on the NVIDIA forums:

This is a known issue with your LCD monitor. It is using a panel which is reporting itself as a DP 1.2 panel even though it is only 1.1 and therefore the graphics card is not communicating properly. We will provide a workaround in the next driver release and we are currently working with the panel maker to identify which other LCD monitors use these panels so that our drivers can treat them differently.

So that solves that.

rorouni

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2012

That the best thing to do when driver issues occur, i am also using 295.73 driver now but no problem maybe because mine is a laptop. maybe try to wait for another release...