First build question about heatsink

Aidan Sana

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Hello everyone, tomorrow morning I will begin my first PC build. I will be installing a Core i5 CPU with a Cooler Master 212 heat pipe direct contact heatsink with Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound. I have been reading on Arctic's website which says to apply the thermal compound to the CPU and the heatsink making sure to fill the ridges. Is it necessary to apply thermal compound to the CPU and heatsink?

Giby

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
No all you need to apply TIM to is the CPU, IMO you should have bought MX-4 or Nt-H1
if you mess up and put too much on it won't harm your Circuitry; plus AS5 is old news
these two TIMs are non conductive and perform as good or better than AC5, not to mention there is usually no curing time either so you get full performance from the get go :)
TIM is another word for thermal paste

Giby

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
there are many methods to applying thermal paste you can use either method but if manufacturer recommends to apply to TIM to the heatsink and seat then by all means do it :) just dont apply too much or it will act as an insulator, use a drop in the middle or spread it out by using a finger in plastic never touch it directly with your skin (although i think you already know that), or put it on the heatsink, but not both heatsink and CPU
PS: Good luck on your first build

Aidan Sana

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012

I feel the heatsink method may be best for me. Thank you very much.