Sign in with
Your question

Will this Bottleneck the 670?

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2012 3:22:44 AM

OK so like the title says will the FX-8120 bottleneck a GTX 670 if I got one? i have the 8120 3.6ghz(dont know how to OC so that is just from the built in boost)

Thanks in advance!

More about : bottleneck 670

a c 109 à CPUs
August 29, 2012 4:03:12 AM

Since we know that the FX-81xx chips perform like an i5-2500k, no, it will not bottleneck. Also, when in doubt, overclock! :lol:  It's definitely something you may want to look into for more performance in the future :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2012 4:53:01 AM

Well my FX-8120 works just fine with my Sapphire 7950 and although I have not used Nvidia for a very long time I think you should be just fine with the 670. I have my FX-8120 overclocked to 4ghz with just a 20x multiplier.
m
l
Related resources
a c 109 à CPUs
August 29, 2012 5:00:34 AM

^ +1

7950 performance is close to the GTX670, great reference :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2012 5:50:45 AM

If you overclock your CPU i know it won't for sure!But,if your not willing to learn how to oc your cpu i am not sure but i honestly think you would still be o.k i will ask my buddy tomorrow as he has the same cpu and a EVGA 670 FTW i can't ask him now as it's almost 11 p.m. where i am and hes already in bed.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2012 9:06:38 PM

bigcyco1 said:
If you overclock your CPU i know it won't for sure!But,if your not willing to learn how to oc your cpu i am not sure but i honestly think you would still be o.k i will ask my buddy tomorrow as he has the same cpu and a EVGA 670 FTW i can't ask him now as it's almost 11 p.m. where i am and hes already in bed.

Ok thank you :D 
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2012 9:09:33 PM

OK sorry for the late reply(highschools a bitch :p )

mocchan-
I mean im not saying that im not willing to learn its just that i hate messing with the bios(killed my other computer :/ [with a core 2duo and hd 5650 so not that much of a loss]) so if I have too I will learn but if it is not required then i dont think so

Bryanhowley-
what do you mean when you say 20X multiplier
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
August 29, 2012 10:35:42 PM

PanicMaster85 said:
OK sorry for the late reply(highschools a bitch :p )

mocchan-
I mean im not saying that im not willing to learn its just that i hate messing with the bios(killed my other computer :/ [with a core 2duo and hd 5650 so not that much of a loss]) so if I have too I will learn but if it is not required then i dont think so

Bryanhowley-
what do you mean when you say 20X multiplier

20x Multiplier is a reference for overclocking :)  If you're not very comfortable with it, I wouldn't worry about it. The FX-8150 performs just like a 2500k in most applications, so you wouldn't see too much of a bottleneck IMO.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2012 10:48:09 PM

Well my friend said it does bottleneck but not badly he said if you oc the FX-8150 mildly your good no bottlenecks whatsoever
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 29, 2012 10:59:29 PM

Depends on the game, and detail settings, most games it won't. Some (Skyrim for example) it will heavily. There are some games that will suffer a mild bottleneck like Starcraft II, but still completely fine.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2012 11:30:46 PM

bigcyco1 said:
Well my friend said it does bottleneck but not badly he said if you oc the FX-8150 mildly your good no bottlenecks whatsoever

does he oc his chip?
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2012 11:30:56 PM

nekulturny said:
Depends on the game, and detail settings, most games it won't. Some (Skyrim for example) it will heavily. There are some games that will suffer a mild bottleneck like Starcraft II, but still completely fine.

how about bf3... also how badly(fps) do you think that it affect it?
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 29, 2012 11:36:14 PM

BF3 should be fine. Multiplayer benches vary because of server conditions, but all of them I have seen the FX-8s perform as well as or better than i5s. Single Player doesn't seem to care what CPU you use at all.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2012 12:39:12 AM

He told me it only bottlenecks on certain games without oc he forgot which ones but he said he remembers for sure Skyrim.I assume you are just going to be gaming on a single 1920x1200 or a single 2560x1600? on games without AA and his EVGA 670 FTW doesn't even break a sweat. Max everything and he go down to ~50 fps on average.Hes gaming on a single 2560x1600 btw.
m
l
August 30, 2012 12:40:51 AM

Everyone recommends the phenom II 965 BE overclocked over this, plus It's like 60$ cheaper.
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
August 30, 2012 12:49:38 AM

vickus420 said:
Everyone recommends the phenom II 965 BE overclocked over this, plus It's like 60$ cheaper.

Since OP already has the FX-8120, I would prefer not to mention other CPU options. However, the FX-81xx CPU's are actually quite capable in the gaming department once you OC.

Regardless, you'll be able to achieve playable framerates anyway :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2012 1:29:52 AM

mocchan said:
Since OP already has the FX-8120, I would prefer not to mention other CPU options. However, the FX-81xx CPU's are actually quite capable in the gaming department once you OC.

Regardless, you'll be able to achieve playable framerates anyway :) 
+1 should read the thread before jumping the gun otherwise your wasting your own as well OP time suggesting anything ;) 
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
August 30, 2012 1:30:52 AM

bigcyco1 said:
+1 should read the thread before jumping the gun otherwise your wasting your own as well OP time suggesting anything ;) 

:D  :whistle: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2012 4:31:31 AM

Im running off of a single 1980-1080 monitor.

Did your friend ever say how big of a drop in fps the bottleneck was?
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2012 4:32:13 AM

also in case because i still have not bought(about a month or so away) any other cards that you would suggest? also I always like to have the aa high(maybe not on max buy 8aa is my preferable difference.
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
August 30, 2012 4:37:47 AM

Radeon HD7970 proved to be a worthy adversary to the GTX670 with the latest driver updates :)  It's something you may want to consider.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2012 4:45:49 AM

mocchan said:
Radeon HD7970 proved to be a worthy adversary to the GTX670 with the latest driver updates :)  It's something you may want to consider.
+1 I would agree because the new drivers and price drop there are now a few actually worth buying i would need to know which games you mostly play to give the better recommendation don't need no flame war starting i am not going there no worries :whistle:  :lol:  .
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
August 30, 2012 5:00:03 AM

bigcyco1 said:
+1 I would agree because the new drivers and price drop there are now a few actually worth buying i would need to know which games you mostly play to give the better recommendation don't need no flame war starting i am not going there no worries :whistle:  :lol:  .

+1

Depends on the title as you have stated, any Nvidia sponsored games will obviously work better with a GTX670 :lol: 

And don't worry, I don't intend on starting one either :D 
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2012 5:04:04 AM

mocchan said:
+1

Depends on the title as you have stated, any Nvidia sponsored games will obviously work better with a GTX670 :lol: 

very true. :na:  and good to know ;) 
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
August 30, 2012 5:13:54 AM

bigcyco1 said:
very true. :na:  and good to know ;) 

:D  ;) 
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 30, 2012 5:23:00 AM

mocchan said:
+1

Yea, and pretty much the only real Ace up Nvidia's sleeve is Battlefield 3, and the 7970 is still powerful enough to take it on.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2012 6:50:38 AM

nekulturny said:
Yea, and pretty much the only real Ace up Nvidia's sleeve is Battlefield 3, and the 7970 is still powerful enough to take it on.
shhh. :whistle:  your going to start trouble let's avoid that please..
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2012 6:54:55 AM

single 7970 at stock clocks @ 1920x1080P no bottlenecks without tessellation eyecandy, with 16MSAA you may want to bump up to 4ghz.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2012 6:55:35 AM

bigcyco1 said:
shhh. :whistle:  your going to start trouble let's avoid that please..

Well the light side is taking new recruits :p 
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2012 7:56:09 AM

sarinaide said:
Well the light side is taking new recruits :p 
when isn't the light side i can't say i blame them. Desperate times call for desperate measures. :na:  jk. ;) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2012 8:15:26 AM

Once you go GCN you never go back :p 
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2012 9:12:20 PM

bigcyco1 said:

I play games like gtaIV, Fallout, BF3... really mostly open world games
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2012 9:22:26 PM

mocchan said:

yeah but the 7970 is way out of my price range :/  the 670 is pushing it
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
August 31, 2012 12:42:44 AM

PanicMaster85 said:
yeah but the 7970 is way out of my price range :/  the 670 is pushing it

Then don't consider the HD7970 if it's out of your price range :)  A GTX670 will do more than enough for you, both options will provide a very smooth gaming experience anyway, so you won't be missing out on much IMO.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2012 12:53:55 AM

I remember you now poster from a few months ago asking which is better 7970 or 670 lol you still can't decide after that four page debate i am not sure you'll be able to period.But nevertheless good luck!
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 31, 2012 12:56:19 AM

Oh I've seen posters who are worse. We had this one guy on the forums, must have started at least 30 threads asking about builds, a lot of the threads were rehashes of questions he asked before. I doubt he ever did build a computer, haven't seen a thread from him in awhile, maybe he created another acct name?
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 31, 2012 1:11:49 AM

Yea.. his name was max2who or something like that. I remember PanicMaster, hes young, I cut some slack for age.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2012 1:32:34 AM

nekulturny said:
Yea.. his name was max2who or something like that. I remember PanicMaster, hes young, I cut some slack for age.

Oh yeah neku I have spoken to you multiple times about this(well in every post i have ever posted in graphics section :p )
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2012 1:33:43 AM

bigcyco1 said:
I remember you now poster from a few months ago asking which is better 7970 or 670 lol you still can't decide after that four page debate i am not sure you'll be able to period.But nevertheless good luck!

hahaha yeah... well actually i have found out a lot so that is why im asking about the 670 and my money has gone up so i can buy it sooner(before i thought i would have to wait a while so i could afford the 7970 or 670) :D  but the reasons that i learned that i want the 670-

1)adaptive v-sync(because i have a 60hz monitor this is awesome! :D 
2)physx
3)less sudden fps drops then some AMD cards
4)Some texture thing :p (i forgot what the guy said)
5)Well supported drivers

the only thing that i was leaning toward AMD was that it had a better v-ram transfer rate and that would support more monitors(future proof)

overall I was looking and i though about the 660ti(posted a thread actually) and decided that because of the 198 bandwith that is on that i would rather just get the 670 and be more secure in that department(using a card with 198 memory transfer is from what i hear risky[for future proofing])

but yeah i have posted a lot of thread glad you remember me :D 

m
l
August 31, 2012 2:39:14 AM

regardless of all your jibber jabbed, your main concern with AMD CPU's atm is

1. Your power supply.

2. Your aftermarket cooler.

this chip is able to be overclocked by a lot yes by a little also. You will have problems if your motherboard does not have enough vrm to support the overclock. AMD c hips get hot, but they require a retarded amount of voltage/watts to achieve that overclock. Its in the hundreds to two hundreds of watts.

if this is your setup I'd go with AMD ati products to confirm copatability. An new GHz eddition ati card is great.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 31, 2012 2:48:41 AM

Quote:
regardless of all your jibber jabbed, your main concern with AMD CPU's atm is

Speaking more politely tends to get you better reactions.
Quote:

1. Your power supply.

Full specs from the "Member configuration" page. I assume thats what they're there for. Power is not a concern if thats the one Panic has.
FX-8120, 850W Corsair enthusiast series, 1TB Caviar Black, HD6850(soon to be 7870), Ga-970a-UD3, 8GB 1333 RAM, HAF 912

Quote:
this chip is able to be overclocked by a lot yes by a little also. You will have problems if your motherboard does not have enough vrm to support the overclock. AMD c hips get hot, but they require a retarded amount of voltage/watts to achieve that overclock. Its in the hundreds to two hundreds of watts.

Bulldozers are actually known to overclock quite well on the stock cooler. No its not ideal, but in a pinch its possible.

m
l
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2012 2:48:55 AM

PanicMaster85 said:
hahaha yeah... well actually i have found out a lot so that is why im asking about the 670 and my money has gone up so i can buy it sooner(before i thought i would have to wait a while so i could afford the 7970 or 670) :D  but the reasons that i learned that i want the 670-

1)adaptive v-sync(because i have a 60hz monitor this is awesome! :D 
2)physx
3)less sudden fps drops then some AMD cards
4)Some texture thing :p (i forgot what the guy said)
5)Well supported drivers

the only thing that i was leaning toward AMD was that it had a better v-ram transfer rate and that would support more monitors(future proof)

overall I was looking and i though about the 660ti(posted a thread actually) and decided that because of the 198 bandwith that is on that i would rather just get the 670 and be more secure in that department(using a card with 198 memory transfer is from what i hear risky[for future proofing])

but yeah i have posted a lot of thread glad you remember me :D 
lol yeah i remember that same question was being asked like three times a day by different members back then and keep happening for a little over a week straight that why my first reply was on that thread was something like oh no not this question again lol i was so sick of that question by then because i would suggest the poster asking a question for a build and within ten minutes somebody would recommend get a different card and try and get me into some big stupid debate i would just tell them get a life and both are great cards just at that time gtx 670 was best bang for buck i was considering leaving TH was burnt out on same old dam thing and seemed like every thread was turning into fanboys from either site brawls :pfff:  glad i didn't leave though and all has toned down since then thank god :lol: 
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 31, 2012 2:55:48 AM

bigcyco1 said:
i was considering leaving TH was burnt out on same old dam thing and seemed like every thread was turning into fanboys from either site brawls :pfff:  glad i didn't leave though and all has toned down since then thank god :lol: 

It has been rather tame lately actually now that you mention it. Although, don't look now, I might have blown this thread. :whistle: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2012 3:00:24 AM

nekulturny said:
It has been rather tame lately actually now that you mention it. Although, don't look now, I might have blown this thread. :whistle: 
:lol:  well i am sure you can't let things stay to tame for very long so it's expected :na:  jk.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2012 3:22:16 AM

I run two 7850 in crossfire and I do not run into any bottlenecks while playing Guild Wars 2 on 1920 x 1080 maximum setting.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 31, 2012 3:29:22 AM

undercovernerd6 said:
yea so your gonna start Ur AMD bs cause you own one....and I did to I had an AMD x4 965 @3.8....cause I did my homework and read THE reviews. We all saw

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8150-zambezi-bul...

You're the one starting BS. I said.. Bulldozers have a high tolerance for overclocking on the stock cooler and you start running your mouth about benchmarks, nobody gives a rat's behind dude. It has nothing to do with what is being discussed.

THIS is relevant in regards to the stock cooler
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1766/16/

Unless you have something to add to this thread, go in your own jackyard and backoff.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 31, 2012 3:40:41 AM

And another thing, you obviously didn't do your homework enough if you ran out and bought a 2500K to replace a 965 in order to play WOW @ 1080p on a 60hz monitor. Don't embarrass yourself further, keep it civil and you'll walk away from this with dignity.

bigcyco1 said:
:lol:  well i am sure you can't let things stay to tame for very long so it's expected :na:  jk.

Heh, I swear I didn't arrange this in an elaborate scheme to run you off the forums :lol: 
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 31, 2012 3:41:03 AM

Quote:
actualy captian cat, the post from the OP was....dun dun dun .....does this bottleneck.....answer Yes. 10-30fps depending on the game. More or less

http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-fx-8150--8120-6100-an...

enjoy

The question already answered by several people (including myself), that you only decided to answer AFTER posting something completely irrelevant, and might I add, completely incorrect. :sarcastic: 
m
l
!