Open With

December 18, 2004 10:47:03 PM

I have 2 queries
1. How do I set the list of Open With programs that pop up when right
clicking a file. I found out once but then forgot !! I would like to be able
to open files with extensions that have no associated program with UltraEdit
(which I have installed).

2. How do I set Internet files to open with a specific program. I have both
Adobe Acrobat 5.0 (full version) and Adobe Reader 6.0 installed. I have set
Adobe Reader 6.0 as the default for PDF files on my hard disk, but when on
the Internet, PDF files open with Adobe Acrobat 5.0
--
Trevor L.

More about : open

Anonymous
December 19, 2004 2:57:41 PM

Trevor,

How do I create a default association for files with an unknown extension?:
http://www.win2000mag.com/Article/ArticleID/14927/14927...

For the 2nd part, uninstall both versions of Acrobat reader (if you no longer plan to use the older version) and reinstall the latest version.

Troubleshooting problems opening PDF files in Internet Explorer window:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/pdf.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Trevor L." <TrevorL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D 36A55FA-D13E-4479-8521-685EDBD5FE6E@microsoft.com...
I have 2 queries
1. How do I set the list of Open With programs that pop up when right
clicking a file. I found out once but then forgot !! I would like to be able
to open files with extensions that have no associated program with UltraEdit
(which I have installed).

2. How do I set Internet files to open with a specific program. I have both
Adobe Acrobat 5.0 (full version) and Adobe Reader 6.0 installed. I have set
Adobe Reader 6.0 as the default for PDF files on my hard disk, but when on
the Internet, PDF files open with Adobe Acrobat 5.0
--
Trevor L.
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 8:07:03 PM

Ramesh,

Thank you for your reply.

Re: How do I create a default association for files with an unknown
extension?:
http://www.win2000mag.com/Article/ArticleID/14927/14927...

This looks good for unknown file types, but I would also like to be able to
open any files (including known types) with UltraEdit from the right click
and "Open With ->". There appear to be about 7 options apart from "Choose
Program..." (It varies according to file type.) I would like to add UltraEdit
to this list of 7. I am sure that somewhere I found a list of programs used,
whether in the Registry or in a normal folder on the C: Drive, I can't recall.

Re: For the 2nd part, uninstall both versions of Acrobat reader (if you no
longer plan to use the older version) and reinstall the latest version.

I have a problem with this. The Acrobat 5.0 version is a complete version,
including Editor and Distiller, which I loaded some time ago and no longer
have the source CD.
I need to retain the Distiller at least, so that I can convert Word files to
PDF. Although I haven't used the editor much, I wouldn't like to delete it in
case I decide to use it more.

Is there some way I can delete just Reader 5.0 so that Internet PDF files
open with Reader 6.0 ?
December 20, 2004 2:31:48 PM

Openwithlist can be added only as per-filetype basis. Instead you can add an immediate right-click entry by adding the key/value here:

Example:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell\OpenWithNotepad\command
Set (default) to "path:\application.exe" "%1"

Regarding your question about Acroreader, I'm not sure if it's possible to remove the 5.x Reader part alone. You may check with Adobe forums.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Trevor L." <TrevorL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C497B94D-1E4B-478F-83F1-7D828B15563A@microsoft.com...
[...]

December 20, 2004 2:31:49 PM

Ramesh
Many thanks

I will experiment with the Registry change and I have posted a question on
the Adobe Forum . (They don't address removing only the Reader component)

I hope they reply as quickly (and helpfully) as you do.

"Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

> Openwithlist can be added only as per-filetype basis. Instead you can add an immediate right-click entry by adding the key/value here:
>
> Example:
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell\OpenWithNotepad\command
> Set (default) to "path:\application.exe" "%1"
>
> Regarding your question about Acroreader, I'm not sure if it's possible to remove the 5.x Reader part alone. You may check with Adobe forums.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Trevor L." <TrevorL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C497B94D-1E4B-478F-83F1-7D828B15563A@microsoft.com...
> Ramesh,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> Re: How do I create a default association for files with an unknown
> extension?:
> http://www.win2000mag.com/Article/ArticleID/14927/14927...
>
> This looks good for unknown file types, but I would also like to be able to
> open any files (including known types) with UltraEdit from the right click
> and "Open With ->". There appear to be about 7 options apart from "Choose
> Program..." (It varies according to file type.) I would like to add UltraEdit
> to this list of 7. I am sure that somewhere I found a list of programs used,
> whether in the Registry or in a normal folder on the C: Drive, I can't recall.
>
> Re: For the 2nd part, uninstall both versions of Acrobat reader (if you no
> longer plan to use the older version) and reinstall the latest version.
>
> I have a problem with this. The Acrobat 5.0 version is a complete version,
> including Editor and Distiller, which I loaded some time ago and no longer
> have the source CD.
> I need to retain the Distiller at least, so that I can convert Word files to
> PDF. Although I haven't used the editor much, I wouldn't like to delete it in
> case I decide to use it more.
>
> Is there some way I can delete just Reader 5.0 so that Internet PDF files
> open with Reader 6.0 ?

Anonymous
December 20, 2004 3:40:03 PM

You're welcome, Trevor.