Sign in with
Your question

$900-$1100 gaming pc, few questions

Last response: in Systems
May 12, 2012 12:02:15 AM

Hello all!

New to these forums, thanks in advance for all responses!

This is my first build in about ten years, so I have a rough idea of what I am doing, though its been a good while. I'm posting the parts I have picked out thus far. The machine is going to be used for gaming and school (gaming). I have a few specific questions , but also would welcome any feed back in general.

This is my build thus far in NewEgg

1. Power supply - I picked a sli ready board because I want the option down the road of adding another card (I'm going to be setting up Nvidia 3d vison 2 on this system), also I intend to over clock the 2500k for all shes worth. From what I have read the power supply I have picked is potentially not enough for all I am going to be throwing at it. However when I put the system in as overclocked and with a sli 560ti already in place on http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine it told me I only needed 495 watts. If thats the case I would rather drop 1-2 hundred watts and get a modular for around the same price. Thoughts?

2. I have selected the HAF-922 case and the Hyper 212 plus cpu cooler. This cooler is obviously quite tall, does anyone know if I will have room to mount a side bay fan? Doubt I need it anyway, the case comes with a lot of wind anyway, and I already added a 120 to double up oln the Hyper 212 plus.

3. With such an open case I am concernced about how quickly dust will accumulate, does anyone know of a safe material or prduct I could use as filter? I know it would cut down on the purpose of the HAF model, but man thats a lot of holes.

4. 3D - I plan on getting either the seperate all together vision 2 kit with an Acer GD235HZbid, or the all in one ASUS VG278H. The 23 inch Acer seems about perfect, and even having to get the kit sperately will save me about 140 over the ASUS. The ASUS is almost to big at 27 inches, but is the only monitor out yet that truly supports the 2nd generation technology. The information available online is mixed, and can be quite confusing. Anyone with knowledge, I would love to hear it.

5. Can anyone tell me if I should be worried about the fins of my Ram and the hyper 212+ on this Mobo?

6. Again, would love any general feedback.

Thanks again guys!

This is my build thus far in NewEgg

a b 4 Gaming
May 12, 2012 12:09:48 AM

It all works but scratch that Arctic Silver off your list. That CM 212 comes with a small tube of MX-4 thermal compound which is better than Arctic Silver.

Also look for combo's to save some $$.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $354.98 save: $20.00
BIOSTAR TZ77XE3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 12, 2012 12:14:01 AM

Drop some of the re certified stuff, tend to be shotty on reliability sometimes. Check out my $850 build here:
http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore
Save some money but get pretty much the same performance, if not slightly better with the i5 3570K and 7850, or if you want spend an extra $150 on the GPU and get the GTX 670.

1. Would go with the 7850 I recommend in my build as the newer cards can manage Crossfire/SLI on low power. The 7850 and 7870 are great cards, both need less than a 650w in order to Crossfire even with a pretty hefty power using system.
2. Case is fine, The Hyper 212+ will have no issues and the extra 120mm is cool.
3. Would try and get a case that usually has filters but dust is strongly dependent on the area your computer sits. My computer hasn't accumulated much dust but it still sits right next to me.
4. 3D is kind of meh honestly. It's also dependent on the games support. The 7850 stock OC'd would probably run 3D fine with AMD's HD3D. The thing with AMD's 3D if the game supports it it'll run fine, also the monitor has to support 3D as well. The thing with Nvidia 3D, the monitor has to be Nvidia certified in order to run 3D with an Nvidia card.
5. No it's fine.
6. Refer to my guide :D =
m
l
Related resources
May 12, 2012 12:44:02 AM

Thanks for the feed back. I know 3D isn't for everyone, but I kind of have my heart set on it. As to the case filters, I found a site with awesome add on filters that easily remove and wipe off. However that tacks on another 45, and while i initially ignored them I am starting to really perk to the idea of a Rosewell case. They have so many features the HAF does not at a much better price, starting to think thats the way to go, though it still has a very exposed side panel, and I need to do a little more research as the first one I looked at was awesome, but looked a tad small.

Could you tell me which card is better between 560ti 2GB or 560ti 1289MB with 448 cuda cores?

Also on your page you recommend a 650W supply on your gaming rig, will this be sufficient with Sli and overclocking the if 3570k?

Also since I can overclock the crap out of the 2500k, will there be real improvement in the 3570k? just curious, with the combo pointed out it will be about the same price anyway.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 12, 2012 1:36:29 AM

Wow... $45 that's way to much for just filters. You might as well get a case with filters. I'd try and go Rosewill to save some.

Neither is very good for the price. The 7850 GHZ is only $260 but performs at the level of a GTX 580. The GTX 670 would be your next best thing at $400 for Nvidia. I'd go AMD since they have the 7850 at the lower price currently. But if you're an Nvidia fan the 560 Ti is not the way to go now with the 7850 killing it after a stock overclock.

As for the 650w it would be with a 7850 and a i5 3570K overclocked.

The 2 will be similar. Either option is good.
m
l
May 12, 2012 7:09:42 AM

Hiya, are you sure about that thermal coming with the 212+? I can't verify that anywhere it seems...
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 12, 2012 7:29:47 AM

nightshift23 said:
Hiya, are you sure about that thermal coming with the 212+? I can't verify that anywhere it seems...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <----- Click on the "images" on that link to magnify them and you will see that tube of thermal grease. It has an orange/red top with a plunger on the other side. It's MX-4.
m
l
!