Folder Views

I am sure that this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find a
definitive answer. In Settings>Control Panel>Folder Options>View the "Apply
to All Folders" button is grayed out. How can I change my settings so that
this choice is available? If I wish have and retain the same view setting
(details) for all folders, should " "Remember each folder'sview settings" be
checked? Have XP Pro SP2 with all updates. Thanks for all responses!

SKBrown
14 answers Last reply
More about folder views

    >If I wish have and retain the same view setting (details) for all folders,...
    The easiest way to go about this would be to download and run this edit:

    Set detail view for all folders (85, left column)

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    http://www.mvps.org

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Stephen K. Brown" <skbrown33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am sure that this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find a
    > definitive answer. In Settings>Control Panel>Folder Options>View the "Apply
    > to All Folders" button is grayed out. How can I change my settings so that
    > this choice is available? If I wish have and retain the same view setting
    > (details) for all folders, should " "Remember each folder'sview settings" be
    > checked? Have XP Pro SP2 with all updates. Thanks for all responses!
    >
    > SKBrown

    Appreciate the link, but the fix is US$20. Isn't there a registry edit that
    would accomplish the task?

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >If I wish have and retain the same view setting (details) for all
    >folders,...
    The easiest way to go about this would be to download and run this edit:

    Set detail view for all folders (85, left column)

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    http://www.mvps.org

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Stephen K. Brown" <skbrown33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am sure that this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find a
    > definitive answer. In Settings>Control Panel>Folder Options>View the
    > "Apply
    > to All Folders" button is grayed out. How can I change my settings so
    > that
    > this choice is available? If I wish have and retain the same view setting
    > (details) for all folders, should " "Remember each folder'sview settings"
    > be
    > checked? Have XP Pro SP2 with all updates. Thanks for all responses!
    >
    > SKBrown

    Open a folder and set it to Detail view
    Click Tools, Folder Options and click "Apply to all folders"

    Understanding folder view settings: (from David Candy)
    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&selm=eDI9AAnfEHA.720%40TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl

    BTW, look at the "Increase Folder View Options Limit: (Line 2): in the link which Anando gave you.
    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Stephen K. Brown" <skbrown33@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OJngjna5EHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    Appreciate the link, but the fix is US$20. Isn't there a registry edit that
    would accomplish the task?

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >If I wish have and retain the same view setting (details) for all
    >folders,...
    The easiest way to go about this would be to download and run this edit:

    Set detail view for all folders (85, left column)

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    http://www.mvps.org

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Stephen K. Brown" <skbrown33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am sure that this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find a
    > definitive answer. In Settings>Control Panel>Folder Options>View the
    > "Apply
    > to All Folders" button is grayed out. How can I change my settings so
    > that
    > this choice is available? If I wish have and retain the same view setting
    > (details) for all folders, should " "Remember each folder'sview settings"
    > be
    > checked? Have XP Pro SP2 with all updates. Thanks for all responses!
    >
    > SKBrown

    Ramsesh,

    Had previously changed BagMRUSize value (both keys), but "Apply to All
    Folders" option remains grayed out and had searched MS KB, with no success.
    Will attempt to edit registry per David Candy's instructions. Wish me
    luck!!

    SKBrown

    "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@ONLINE.mvps.org> wrote in message
    Open a folder and set it to Detail view
    Click Tools, Folder Options and click "Apply to all folders"

    Understanding folder view settings: (from David Candy)
    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&selm=eDI9AAnfEHA.720%40TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl

    BTW, look at the "Increase Folder View Options Limit: (Line 2): in the link
    which Anando gave you.
    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Stephen K. Brown" <skbrown33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    Appreciate the link, but the fix is US$20. Isn't there a registry edit that
    would accomplish the task?

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >If I wish have and retain the same view setting (details) for all
    >folders,...
    The easiest way to go about this would be to download and run this edit:

    Set detail view for all folders (85, left column)

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    http://www.mvps.org

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Stephen K. Brown" <skbrown33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    I am sure that this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find a
    definitive answer. In Settings>Control Panel>Folder Options>View the
    "Apply to All Folders" button is grayed out. How can I change my settings
    so
    that this choice is available? If I wish to have and retain the same view
    setting (details) for all folders, should "Remember each folder's view
    settings" be checked? Have XP Pro SP2 with all updates. Thanks for all

    > SKBrown

    Explorer|View|Details Then Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|View, then "Apply
    To All Folders". Depending on your likings, you may also need to check
    "Remember each folder's view settings" The option isn't available in Control
    Panel|Folder Options since there is no active window with which to mirror
    the settings from.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

    "Stephen K. Brown" wrote:

    | Ramsesh,
    |
    | Had previously changed BagMRUSize value (both keys), but "Apply to All
    | Folders" option remains grayed out and had searched MS KB, with no
    success.
    | Will attempt to edit registry per David Candy's instructions. Wish me
    | luck!!
    |
    | SKBrown

    Dave,

    Followed your instructions. "Apply to All Folders" does appear as you
    stated. However, selected view is not retained for folders. Makes no
    difference whether "Remember each folder's view settings" is checked or not.
    What next?

    SKBrown

    "Stephen K. Brown" wrote:

    | Ramsesh,
    |
    | Had previously changed BagMRUSize value (both keys), but "Apply to All
    | Folders" option remains grayed out and had searched MS KB, with no
    success.
    | Will attempt to edit registry per David Candy's instructions. Wish me
    | luck!!
    |
    | SKBrown

    What happens if you logon as a new user? (create a new account in 'Users
    Accounts').

    --

    "Stephen K. Brown" wrote:
    | Dave,
    |
    | Followed your instructions. "Apply to All Folders" does appear as you
    | stated. However, selected view is not retained for folders. Makes no
    | difference whether "Remember each folder's view settings" is checked or
    not.
    | What next?
    |
    | SKBrown

    >>but "Apply to All Folders" option remains grayed out

    Because you're accessing the dialog from Control Panel.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Stephen K. Brown" <skbrown33@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eUqZzGb5EHA.4004@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

    Ramsesh,

    Had previously changed BagMRUSize value (both keys), but "Apply to All
    Folders" option remains grayed out and had searched MS KB, with no success.
    Will attempt to edit registry per David Candy's instructions. Wish me
    luck!!

    SKBrown

    "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@ONLINE.mvps.org> wrote in message
    Open a folder and set it to Detail view
    Click Tools, Folder Options and click "Apply to all folders"

    Understanding folder view settings: (from David Candy)
    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&selm=eDI9AAnfEHA.720%40TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl

    BTW, look at the "Increase Folder View Options Limit: (Line 2): in the link
    which Anando gave you.
    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Stephen K. Brown" <skbrown33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    Appreciate the link, but the fix is US$20. Isn't there a registry edit that
    would accomplish the task?

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >If I wish have and retain the same view setting (details) for all
    >folders,...
    The easiest way to go about this would be to download and run this edit:

    Set detail view for all folders (85, left column)

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    http://www.mvps.org

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Stephen K. Brown" <skbrown33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    I am sure that this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find a
    definitive answer. In Settings>Control Panel>Folder Options>View the
    "Apply to All Folders" button is grayed out. How can I change my settings
    so
    that this choice is available? If I wish to have and retain the same view
    setting (details) for all folders, should "Remember each folder's view
    settings" be checked? Have XP Pro SP2 with all updates. Thanks for all

    > SKBrown

    Dave,

    Established new account (with Administrator privileges). Selected folder
    view IS retained.!! How can my original account be changed. Surely there
    must be a registry entry that controls the folder view function for each
    user? Have any ideas? Really appreciate your assistance.

    "Stephen K. Brown" wrote:
    | Dave,
    |
    | Followed your instructions. "Apply to All Folders" does appear as you
    | stated. However, selected view is not retained for folders. Makes no
    | difference whether "Remember each folder's view settings" is checked or
    not.
    | What next?
    |
    | SKBrown
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    It's what I suspected. Appears your profile is somehow corrupt. While logged
    on as local admin you can rename the corrupt profile. Then when the user
    logs on again a new profile will be created from the image in \default user.
    You can then copy over the items you need from the renamed profile. Copy the
    folder contents not the folders themselves. When your sure you have all you
    need, you can delete the renamed profile. Use the import function of your
    e-mail software.

    --

    "Stephen K. Brown" wrote:
    | Dave,
    |
    | Established new account (with Administrator privileges). Selected folder
    | view IS retained.!! How can my original account be changed. Surely there
    | must be a registry entry that controls the folder view function for each
    | user? Have any ideas? Really appreciate your assistance.
    |
    | SKBrown
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Don't use the Control Panel, view it via Windows Explorer. As for the line
    85, that is third party.

    By default, Windows is designed to remember 400 different folder settings
    (200 local folders and 200 network folders, for a total of 400 folders).
    Windows will start to re-use these stored settings on a 'Most Recently Used'
    basis, once the folder limit has been exceeded. You can change this to 8000
    by adding this edit to the registry.

    Run this edit, then reset your preferred folder options:

    Increase Folder View Options Limit: (Line 2)

    To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
    and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
    right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

    Windows Explorer/View/[Select Accordingly]. Then Tools/Folder
    Options/View/Apply to All Folders.

    Note: XP-SP2 ups it to 5000.

    --
    Happy Holidays,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Stephen K. Brown" <skbrown33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am sure that this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find a
    > definitive answer. In Settings>Control Panel>Folder Options>View the
    > "Apply
    > to All Folders" button is grayed out. How can I change my settings so
    > that
    > this choice is available? If I wish have and retain the same view setting
    > (details) for all folders, should " "Remember each folder'sview settings"
    > be
    > checked? Have XP Pro SP2 with all updates. Thanks for all responses!
    >
    > SKBrown

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    The steps listed here will reset the Folder view settings completely:
    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&selm=eDI9AAnfEHA.720%40TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl

    Then, re-apply your preferred settings.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Stephen K. Brown" wrote:
    | Dave,
    |
    | Followed your instructions. "Apply to All Folders" does appear as you
    | stated. However, selected view is not retained for folders. Makes no
    | difference whether "Remember each folder's view settings" is checked or
    not.
    | What next?
    |
    | SKBrown
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    I DO not think this is necessary. This may work for the OP, but without
    knowing more....I would not suggest this to many.

    --

    "Stephen K. Brown" wrote:
    | Dave,
    |
    | Followed your instructions. "Apply to All Folders" does appear as you
    | stated. However, selected view is not retained for folders. Makes no
    | difference whether "Remember each folder's view settings" is checked or
    not.
    | What next?
    |
    | SKBrown
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Agree. But that becomes necessary if the edit "Increase Folder View Options Limit: (Line 2)" does not help. Hence one of my previous replies included "BTW, look at the "Increase Folder View Options Limit: (Line 2): in the link which Anando gave you."

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23CEEuem5EHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    I DO not think this is necessary. This may work for the OP, but without
    knowing more....I would not suggest this to many.

    --
    Happy Holidays,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@ONLINE.mvps.org> wrote in message
    The steps listed here will reset the Folder view settings completely:
    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&selm=eDI9AAnfEHA.720%40TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl

    Then, re-apply your preferred settings.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP