Folder Views

December 19, 2004 2:07:52 AM

I am sure that this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find a
definitive answer. In Settings>Control Panel>Folder Options>View the "Apply
to All Folders" button is grayed out. How can I change my settings so that
this choice is available? If I wish have and retain the same view setting
(details) for all folders, should " "Remember each folder'sview settings" be
checked? Have XP Pro SP2 with all updates. Thanks for all responses!

SKBrown

More about : folder views

Anonymous
December 19, 2004 5:14:04 AM

>If I wish have and retain the same view setting (details) for all folders,...
The easiest way to go about this would be to download and run this edit:

Set detail view for all folders (85, left column)

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
http://www.mvps.org

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Stephen K. Brown" <skbrown33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am sure that this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find a
> definitive answer. In Settings>Control Panel>Folder Options>View the "Apply
> to All Folders" button is grayed out. How can I change my settings so that
> this choice is available? If I wish have and retain the same view setting
> (details) for all folders, should " "Remember each folder'sview settings" be
> checked? Have XP Pro SP2 with all updates. Thanks for all responses!
>
> SKBrown

Anonymous
December 19, 2004 6:05:25 AM

Appreciate the link, but the fix is US$20. Isn't there a registry edit that
would accomplish the task?

"Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
>If I wish have and retain the same view setting (details) for all
>folders,...
The easiest way to go about this would be to download and run this edit:

Set detail view for all folders (85, left column)

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
http://www.mvps.org

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Stephen K. Brown" <skbrown33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am sure that this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find a
> definitive answer. In Settings>Control Panel>Folder Options>View the
> "Apply
> to All Folders" button is grayed out. How can I change my settings so
> that
> this choice is available? If I wish have and retain the same view setting
> (details) for all folders, should " "Remember each folder'sview settings"
> be
> checked? Have XP Pro SP2 with all updates. Thanks for all responses!
>
> SKBrown

December 19, 2004 5:42:36 PM

Open a folder and set it to Detail view
Click Tools, Folder Options and click "Apply to all folders"

Understanding folder view settings: (from David Candy)
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2...

BTW, look at the "Increase Folder View Options Limit: (Line 2): in the link which Anando gave you.
--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Stephen K. Brown" <skbrown33@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:o Jngjna5EHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
Appreciate the link, but the fix is US$20. Isn't there a registry edit that
would accomplish the task?

"Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
>If I wish have and retain the same view setting (details) for all
>folders,...
The easiest way to go about this would be to download and run this edit:

Set detail view for all folders (85, left column)

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
http://www.mvps.org

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Stephen K. Brown" <skbrown33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am sure that this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find a
> definitive answer. In Settings>Control Panel>Folder Options>View the
> "Apply
> to All Folders" button is grayed out. How can I change my settings so
> that
> this choice is available? If I wish have and retain the same view setting
> (details) for all folders, should " "Remember each folder'sview settings"
> be
> checked? Have XP Pro SP2 with all updates. Thanks for all responses!
>
> SKBrown

Anonymous
December 19, 2004 5:42:37 PM

Ramsesh,

Had previously changed BagMRUSize value (both keys), but "Apply to All
Folders" option remains grayed out and had searched MS KB, with no success.
Will attempt to edit registry per David Candy's instructions. Wish me
luck!!

SKBrown

"Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@ONLINE.mvps.org> wrote in message
news:o iN$fra5EHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
Open a folder and set it to Detail view
Click Tools, Folder Options and click "Apply to all folders"

Understanding folder view settings: (from David Candy)
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2...

BTW, look at the "Increase Folder View Options Limit: (Line 2): in the link
which Anando gave you.
--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Stephen K. Brown" <skbrown33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o Jngjna5EHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
Appreciate the link, but the fix is US$20. Isn't there a registry edit that
would accomplish the task?

"Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
>If I wish have and retain the same view setting (details) for all
>folders,...
The easiest way to go about this would be to download and run this edit:

Set detail view for all folders (85, left column)

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
http://www.mvps.org

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Stephen K. Brown" <skbrown33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
I am sure that this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find a
definitive answer. In Settings>Control Panel>Folder Options>View the
"Apply to All Folders" button is grayed out. How can I change my settings
so
that this choice is available? If I wish to have and retain the same view
setting (details) for all folders, should "Remember each folder's view
settings" be checked? Have XP Pro SP2 with all updates. Thanks for all

> SKBrown

Anonymous
December 19, 2004 5:42:38 PM

Explorer|View|Details Then Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|View, then "Apply
To All Folders". Depending on your likings, you may also need to check
"Remember each folder's view settings" The option isn't available in Control
Panel|Folder Options since there is no active window with which to mirror
the settings from.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]

"Stephen K. Brown" wrote:

| Ramsesh,
|
| Had previously changed BagMRUSize value (both keys), but "Apply to All
| Folders" option remains grayed out and had searched MS KB, with no
success.
| Will attempt to edit registry per David Candy's instructions. Wish me
| luck!!
|
| SKBrown
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 6:17:26 PM

Dave,

Followed your instructions. "Apply to All Folders" does appear as you
stated. However, selected view is not retained for folders. Makes no
difference whether "Remember each folder's view settings" is checked or not.
What next?

SKBrown

"Stephen K. Brown" wrote:

| Ramsesh,
|
| Had previously changed BagMRUSize value (both keys), but "Apply to All
| Folders" option remains grayed out and had searched MS KB, with no
success.
| Will attempt to edit registry per David Candy's instructions. Wish me
| luck!!
|
| SKBrown
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 6:55:46 PM

What happens if you logon as a new user? (create a new account in 'Users
Accounts').

--

"Stephen K. Brown" wrote:
| Dave,
|
| Followed your instructions. "Apply to All Folders" does appear as you
| stated. However, selected view is not retained for folders. Makes no
| difference whether "Remember each folder's view settings" is checked or
not.
| What next?
|
| SKBrown
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 6:56:40 PM

>>but "Apply to All Folders" option remains grayed out

Because you're accessing the dialog from Control Panel.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Stephen K. Brown" <skbrown33@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eUqZzGb5EHA.4004@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

Ramsesh,

Had previously changed BagMRUSize value (both keys), but "Apply to All
Folders" option remains grayed out and had searched MS KB, with no success.
Will attempt to edit registry per David Candy's instructions. Wish me
luck!!

SKBrown

"Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@ONLINE.mvps.org> wrote in message
news:o iN$fra5EHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
Open a folder and set it to Detail view
Click Tools, Folder Options and click "Apply to all folders"

Understanding folder view settings: (from David Candy)
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2...

BTW, look at the "Increase Folder View Options Limit: (Line 2): in the link
which Anando gave you.
--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Stephen K. Brown" <skbrown33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o Jngjna5EHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
Appreciate the link, but the fix is US$20. Isn't there a registry edit that
would accomplish the task?

"Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
>If I wish have and retain the same view setting (details) for all
>folders,...
The easiest way to go about this would be to download and run this edit:

Set detail view for all folders (85, left column)

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
http://www.mvps.org

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Stephen K. Brown" <skbrown33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
I am sure that this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find a
definitive answer. In Settings>Control Panel>Folder Options>View the
"Apply to All Folders" button is grayed out. How can I change my settings
so
that this choice is available? If I wish to have and retain the same view
setting (details) for all folders, should "Remember each folder's view
settings" be checked? Have XP Pro SP2 with all updates. Thanks for all

> SKBrown

Anonymous
December 20, 2004 1:06:08 AM

Dave,

Established new account (with Administrator privileges). Selected folder
view IS retained.!! How can my original account be changed. Surely there
must be a registry entry that controls the folder view function for each
user? Have any ideas? Really appreciate your assistance.

news:o I8hh3h5EHA.3124@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

"Stephen K. Brown" wrote:
| Dave,
|
| Followed your instructions. "Apply to All Folders" does appear as you
| stated. However, selected view is not retained for folders. Makes no
| difference whether "Remember each folder's view settings" is checked or
not.
| What next?
|
| SKBrown
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 1:06:09 AM

It's what I suspected. Appears your profile is somehow corrupt. While logged
on as local admin you can rename the corrupt profile. Then when the user
logs on again a new profile will be created from the image in \default user.
You can then copy over the items you need from the renamed profile. Copy the
folder contents not the folders themselves. When your sure you have all you
need, you can delete the renamed profile. Use the import function of your
e-mail software.

--

"Stephen K. Brown" wrote:
| Dave,
|
| Established new account (with Administrator privileges). Selected folder
| view IS retained.!! How can my original account be changed. Surely there
| must be a registry entry that controls the folder view function for each
| user? Have any ideas? Really appreciate your assistance.
|
| SKBrown
December 20, 2004 2:33:53 AM

Don't use the Control Panel, view it via Windows Explorer. As for the line
85, that is third party.

By default, Windows is designed to remember 400 different folder settings
(200 local folders and 200 network folders, for a total of 400 folders).
Windows will start to re-use these stored settings on a 'Most Recently Used'
basis, once the folder limit has been exceeded. You can change this to 8000
by adding this edit to the registry.

Run this edit, then reset your preferred folder options:

Increase Folder View Options Limit: (Line 2)

To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

Windows Explorer/View/[Select Accordingly]. Then Tools/Folder
Options/View/Apply to All Folders.

Note: XP-SP2 ups it to 5000.

--
Happy Holidays,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Stephen K. Brown" <skbrown33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am sure that this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find a
> definitive answer. In Settings>Control Panel>Folder Options>View the
> "Apply
> to All Folders" button is grayed out. How can I change my settings so
> that
> this choice is available? If I wish have and retain the same view setting
> (details) for all folders, should " "Remember each folder'sview settings"
> be
> checked? Have XP Pro SP2 with all updates. Thanks for all responses!
>
> SKBrown

Anonymous
December 20, 2004 2:08:52 PM

The steps listed here will reset the Folder view settings completely:
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2...

Then, re-apply your preferred settings.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Stephen K. Brown" wrote:
| Dave,
|
| Followed your instructions. "Apply to All Folders" does appear as you
| stated. However, selected view is not retained for folders. Makes no
| difference whether "Remember each folder's view settings" is checked or
not.
| What next?
|
| SKBrown
December 20, 2004 2:08:53 PM

I DO not think this is necessary. This may work for the OP, but without
knowing more....I would not suggest this to many.

--

"Stephen K. Brown" wrote:
| Dave,
|
| Followed your instructions. "Apply to All Folders" does appear as you
| stated. However, selected view is not retained for folders. Makes no
| difference whether "Remember each folder's view settings" is checked or
not.
| What next?
|
| SKBrown
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 4:29:49 PM

Agree. But that becomes necessary if the edit "Increase Folder View Options Limit: (Line 2)" does not help. Hence one of my previous replies included "BTW, look at the "Increase Folder View Options Limit: (Line 2): in the link which Anando gave you."

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23CEEuem5EHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
I DO not think this is necessary. This may work for the OP, but without
knowing more....I would not suggest this to many.

--
Happy Holidays,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@ONLINE.mvps.org> wrote in message
The steps listed here will reset the Folder view settings completely:
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2...

Then, re-apply your preferred settings.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP