Sign in with
Your question

Small Business Server

Last response: in Components
August 29, 2012 1:53:31 PM

I'm planning on building a small office server for about 10-15 computers with a tight budget.

Initially, I'm considering these parts:

AMD LLANO A4-3400 2.7Ghz
GIGABYTE GA-A55M-DS2
TEAM ELITE 4GB DDR3
ADATA 64GB SSD
2X WESTERN DIGITAL 2TB

These are not all that will go to the build and i think I probably missed something. Would be great if anyone could help me out. Thanks.

More about : small business server

August 29, 2012 5:44:11 PM

PSU and Case are missing, but every thing else is there. Comment: I would go without the SSD and buy more RAM instead. The SSD doesn't really add performance to a server.
m
l
August 29, 2012 10:06:53 PM

So true. An SSD is a complete waste on a server. Get two small drives so SBS can backup the server drive automatically (this backup claims a whole drive).

I'd also switch from llano cpu to an athlon or phenom 2 x2 to gain support of ECC ram; which of course means a different choice of ram and motherbd for you too.

Lastly, if the number of users is only 10 or less then you can uses windows home server 2011 which is really really cheap ($50) even though its server 8 at its core. But please look into the differences in case their is something in SBS that whs11 doesnt have.

m
l
Related resources
August 29, 2012 11:07:32 PM

Couple of the major things that SBS does, that WHS does not, is run an active directory and host an email server, it also allows you to run WSUS (Windows Server Update Services) which allows you to locally host a Windows update server. All very important if your workers float around, use different computers and you have a number of computer to update. Also, SBS 2011 needs a bare minimum of 8GB of ram, I run mine with 16GB and it still comes close to maxing it out.
m
l
August 29, 2012 11:37:34 PM

Without more insight into what you will be running and needing this server for there are no serious hardware suggestions.

Are these 15pcs just accessing a shared resource of excel sheets or AD or backing up to it, then nothing big is needed, you can reach full network speed using a dual lan and aggregating bandwidth in whatever mode you want. Depending might need a manged switch or if you need more bandwidth a 10GbE card.

Running SQL or need high IOPS then get a decent ssd sure. Running something cpu intensive on the server? I could say anything from 2gb ram to 32 depending on needs.

Dont get wd green/blue/black, atleast some reds or better RE4 or some other 24/7 hdds from a decent make.
m
l
August 30, 2012 12:50:22 AM

pauls3743 said:
Couple of the major things that SBS does, that WHS does not, is run an active directory and host an email server, it also allows you to run WSUS (Windows Server Update Services) which allows you to locally host a Windows update server. All very important if your workers float around, use different computers and you have a number of computer to update. Also, SBS 2011 needs a bare minimum of 8GB of ram, I run mine with 16GB and it still comes close to maxing it out.

Thats very useful information but if he's needing all that he will certainly need a better processor than an a4 or athlon/phenom x2 don't you think?
m
l
August 30, 2012 2:14:01 AM

I don't see why the a4 wouldn't run it, it's a 2.7GHz quad core. The minimum SBS 2011 asks for is a 2GHz quad and I don't imagine that's latest tech. Personally. I wouldn't be skimping out by using desktop components for a server, except maybe the hard drives. I would be looking at entry level xeons and opterons (I hear some of the Athlon/Phenom II's support ECC RAM) at the very least for server stability and data security/consistency.

At the end of the day, it comes back to what he wants the server to do and that will dictate what the rest of the server needs to have in it.
m
l
!