Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New build and it won't boot up, help please!

Last response: in Systems
May 12, 2012 2:05:18 AM

Hey all, first time posting so bare with me.
I've just finished building my new rig but when I power it on nothing shows up on screen and no beeps are played. The Power On case led lights up; both the cooler fan and case fan spin; I'm able to open the DVD with its power button, but it closes quickly once open.
My system specs are:
M5A78L-MLX V2 Asus mobo
Sentey 500W PSU
4GB 133MHz Ram (One unit)
AMD FX 4100 Bulldozer (AM3 Socket)
1TB Sata3 Hard Drive
EVGA GeForce 450 gts 128 bit, 1gb DDR5

Here's what I've done so far to diagnose the problem:
1) I disconnected and unmounted the graphics card, after that I plugged the monitor cable on the on-board video, no luck... So I then took out the memory to see if the system would make a noise, no beeps neither.
2) I took out the PSU, disconnecting it from the mobo and all other devices. I first checked the stand by signal with a multimeter (probing the purple pin, having the PSU plugged in with the power switch on) and it read 5.15 V, as it is supposed to be.
3) After that I shorted the green and the black pin next to it. Once the power supply powered on I tested all the color pins, including the gray (Power Good) pin and they were all fine.
4) Once again, I plugged the 20+4 pin connector to the mobo and tested as follows:
a) Checked the purple pin probing it with only the psu power switch
on and it read ~5V. OK
b) Probed the green pin (Power On) and it read ~5V, OK also. BUT HERE'S THE THING, I switched on the front panel case power button
monitoring the voltage: the voltage didn't drop, instead of dropping
to zero it elevated to around 11.60 mV ??!! I unhooked the 2 pin Power Button wire off the motherboard and jumped it by tapping it with a screwdriver and still no luck!

Any ideas?? Could it be the motherboard? I know that the power supply is ok after having it tested. All suggestions welcome, I really don't know what to do especially since its a brand new build.
Thanks in advance!

More about : build boot

May 12, 2012 4:19:55 PM

Ok, got some bad news I think. When I was measuring the voltage on the green cable I got ~5V which was good, then when I jumped it and the fans started to spin (still nothing on screen) the voltage REDUCED it self from 5V to ~160 mV. I had looked over themV quantifier wrong. So in conclusion, the PSU is not causing the problem since the Power Good pin also measures ~5V and the On Signal voltage drops.
I've jumped the mobo outside off the case with one RAM DIMM, the CPU and (obviously) the PSU.
According to this site: http://www.aitechsolutions.net/pchwtrblsht.html
The motherboard could be f-ed up :( 
Any opinions? It's brand new...
m
l
Related resources
May 12, 2012 4:40:48 PM

Sounds like a short in the motherboard, or a DOA mobo to begin with. If there processor had failed, you'd get 5 short beeps in an AMI BIOS.
m
l
May 12, 2012 4:42:01 PM

Id replace that POS power supply before id even attempt to turn it back on BIOS upgrade or not.
m
l
May 12, 2012 5:06:26 PM

Hi, thanks for the answers!
Quote:
Id replace that POS power supply before id even attempt to turn it back on BIOS upgrade or not.

I don't think it's a PSU issue since the voltage is right.

Quote:
You need bios 0402 to support FX processors.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/A [...] X_V2/#CPUS

How do I find out what's the current BIOS version of my mobo? I also asked the supplier before buying anything if I needed to upgrade the bios to run with the FX CPU and they told me that it was not necessary, but who knows.

Quote:
Sounds like a short in the motherboard, or a DOA mobo to begin with. If there processor had failed, you'd get 5 short beeps in an AMI BIOS.

Should I replace the mohterboard? Or try to update the BIOS first. I was thinking of returning it to the supplier, luckily all of the components have a valid warranty.
m
l
May 12, 2012 5:10:53 PM

Bios version should be listed on the sticker on the box or somewhere on the mobo.
m
l
May 12, 2012 5:14:16 PM

Found it. The BIOS version for my mobo is 2.1 and I'm guessing 0402 on the ASUS page means 4.02 ?? Thanks!
m
l
May 12, 2012 5:26:48 PM

0402 does not mean 4.02.

I don't know, 2.1 doesn't jive with any of the bios's listed on the cpu support page.

See what other numbers you can find like 0303 or 0402, etc.
m
l
May 12, 2012 5:27:36 PM

I'd contact Asus or send it back and get something else.

Where did you buy it?
m
l
May 12, 2012 5:39:18 PM

Found a micro-sticker to the side of the mobo, reading ".... A1 - 0402" So yeah, it's the right version for the CPU, ***...

geekapproved said:
I'd contact Asus or send it back and get something else.

Where did you buy it?

I live in Argentina, so all the hardware components are imported. I guess I came to the conclusion that the mobo is bad. It's not the first time that a PC store sold me a nonfunctional component.
Thanks for the help peeps.
m
l
May 12, 2012 7:11:16 PM

Gotta love folks who dont come here for help before they buy, cause indeed they know everything. But boy do they come begging for help after their knowledge fails :)  Not a dig directly at the OP but just in general cause so many people should pay someone to design and build them a system,but dont.
m
l

Best solution

May 12, 2012 7:35:39 PM

True, but in this case the mobo does say it supports FX, it just doesn't tell you that you need a bios update to do so.
May 12, 2012 7:37:17 PM

vrumor said:
Gotta love folks who dont come here for help before they buy, cause indeed they know everything. But boy do they come begging for help after their knowledge fails :)  Not a dig directly at the OP but just in general cause so many people should pay someone to design and build them a system,but dont.

vrumor, you're right I thought I knew what I was doing since I've worked with computers all my life and the current PC I'm using was built by me. But yeah, wasn't aware of things like these happening. What amazes me is that I specifically ASKED the moron at the store if this board was compatible with the CPU and if I had to flash the bios, he told me "NO, everything is ready to run right out off the box" And I wouldn't trust ANYONE in building my PC 'cause in Argentina they just don't know squat (IT guys are a rip off here), I mean come on how was that guy going to build my PC if he didn't even know if I had to flash it first??

Anyway, reading what geekapproved had posted, the ASUS M5A78L-M LX and FX CPU requires a MINIMUM BIOS of 0510 for ANY FX CPU even to post. That's probably why I'm not getting any signal on screen. Now, to flash the bios I'm gonna need a non FX cpu which I don't have, right?
Thanks geekapproved for the valuable info.

m
l
May 13, 2012 12:44:17 AM

Best answer selected by psycho_01.
m
l
!