Laptop Power Cord - 7A 125V work in place of 3A 125V?

vinniez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Hi - Hoping this is the right spot. I have a Lenovo T420 and just got another power brick which is the part that plugs into the back of the laptop. Unfortunately, it didn't come with the AC adapter to plug into the wall. I have an old IBM laptop which has a power cord that fits and the cord says 7A 125V. The one that came with my T420 says 3A 125V.

Am I able to use the 7A 125V for this power brick?

Solution
I mean the bit that connects the brick to the mains outlet, no cable is too powerful, it just supports a higher electrical load which is a good thing.

vinniez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008

What exactly is the mains cable? I'm talking about the cord that connects the power brick to the wall outlet. The cord from my old laptop does fit, but the only difference is the 3A 125V vs 7A 125V. The one that came with my current laptop says 3A 125V and I just want to make sure I am not using a cord that is too powerful.

vinniez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008

Thank you jay_nar2012!

ram1009

Distinguished
This a complicated question. First, there are many sizes of power connectors. Both the inside diameter and outside diameter must match exactly. You may not be able to detect slight size differences with the naked eye. Also, polarity is important. there should be a diagram on the power supply illustrating the polarity of the connector. Of course it must match the old power supply. Also, some power supplies will supply AC rather than DC. The type of supply is also important. the better supplies are called "switchers" but there are also some called "linear". It's risky to use a linear where a switcher was previously used. Last there is wattage or amperage. All other things being equal the wattage of the replacement need only be equal to or greater than the old one. Of course voltage must match.

jay_nar2012

Distinguished

Your on about the laptop connector section right?