epiphanyplx

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
I recently bought a ThinkCentre M91p (4480-B1U) off of craigslist and am now trying to make it so my friend can use it for gaming. The problem is that it comes with a 240 watt psu. In addition, the computer is SFF, so I need a low-profile graphics card. The main game he is trying to play is FFXIV, but I'm sure he'll play others; looking to spend about $100 on the graphics card.

The computer is an i5-2400.
So my questions are what type of power supply do I need; wattage and size? And are there any recommendations for low profile graphics cards or am I wasting my time and should I just move the whole thing to a larger case?

Thanks a bunch!

dankev

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012

Feel free to ignore that recommendation. They are covering their butts. They have no idea what kind of system you have, so they recommend high wattage. The max TDP of the 7750 is 55 watts. You shouldn't have any problems with the 240w PSU, so long as it's an ok PSU.

If you find you absolutely need to upgrade your PSU, this one is good for SFX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104141 However, I don't know if it fits your particular case.

As you mentioned, another option is to move to a bigger case. If he wants to get a somewhat powerful card, low profile isn't going to do the trick.

epiphanyplx

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Okay, so my friend wants a more powerful graphics card than the most powerful low profile card. I am going to move the whole thing to a different case and get a new power supply.
I do have a 400 watt atx psu sitting around, do you think that would power a $200 graphics card with one hard drive and the i5, or do you think I should get something closer to 500 or 600 watts?

Thanks for all the help.

InvalidError

Titan

Depends on whether it is a GOOD 400W PSU or a crappy 400W PSU.

A 380W Antec EarthWatt, Seasonic or other top-quality PSU will handle just about any high-end single-GPU card/system out there.

On the other hand, a crappy 400W PSU might not even be able to power a basic system that uses less than 200W reliably.