will this work...?

k61824

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2005
Ok, I am trying to set up a wireless network (as secure as possible so my own wired computer doesn't get affected) for the computer illiterate (my mom) so expecting her to remembering any keys are not something of practical consideration. (Also I haven't tried the WinXP's wireless setup, so I expect it will be a problem if I reinstall windows [the longer you don't need THE configuration/keys/password, the more likely you'll forget it])

The setup I have now:
Cable modem->wired router->computers

Here is the plan I am having:
Cable modem->wired router->wireless router A
Wireless router B-> my mom's comp

all the other machine is to be connected to the wired router.

(I am living in the place where wireless router is cheaper than wireless cards... and wireless AP's, so that's why I am trying to use 2 routers [sigh])

Is that something that has been covered in the FAQ?
(I have read the FAQ, not sure if I understands it right)

And can anyone get me a checklist of things to set up for the wireless part?

riser

Illustrious
If you can run a wire between the two routers you'll be fine. Otherwise, you'll need an Access Point to connect wirelessly to the other router. There is a reason they make WAPs and why they cost a little more.

D-Link has select items while I believe you can pick up a linksys router and a WAP and they should be able to talk. D-Link had specific models I needed to make it work in my apartment which is why I didn't go with it.

There are a few wireless people here that should be able to elaborate, but depending on your brands, you'll require certain WAP and w-router.

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Typically Router/AP combo's will not bridge. There are some firmware's out there for certain Linksys ROuter/AP's that add WDS functionality. really depends on your primary router/AP. If it is not WDS compatible then you'll be getting a workgroup bridge, or at least an AP that has a bridging/client mode, of the same brand. Bridging is not a Wi-Fi certified feature so same brand when you want to non WDS bridge.

k61824

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2005
so, let me get this straight...
wi-fi standard does NOT allow 2 routers connect wirelessly, am I getting this right?

I am trying to avoid buying a wireless card, so is there a way I can do it with only APs [I have all too many extra wired cards :(
]?
I have yet to get the wireless parts, so any suggestions on that would be great too.

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
It took a little thinking, but it could work. You have to make both of the wireless routers into switches, and you'd have to hook the routers each into one of the computers, and bridge the connection on the main PC. Then using that internet connection sharing feature on the main PC, you could technically get it working.

But this would be slow, unreliable, and no one in their right mind will support your configuration, so if she has any problems getting online, she'll have to call you.

umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html</A><--

k61824

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2005
wait... so you are telling me that I cannot use the wireless router/AP to connect to the wired router and use an AP on her comp to link the machines wirelessly? or ...?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by k61824 on 09/16/05 03:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
What I'm saying is you can connect everything like this:

modem - wired router - PC1 with two bridged ethernet connections and internet connection sharing setup - hardwired to wireless router 1 LAN port (which has DHCP disabled) - wireless router 2 (which has DHCP disabled) - PC2 hardwired to router 2 in a LAN port.

In theory, it should work, but it'll suck, probably not work, and if it does would be likely to stop working at any moment.

umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html</A><--