I5 2500k or i5 3570 (ivy bridge)

logan832

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
I can get them both for the same exact price.
There are factors pulling me towards both.

The 2500k, has 2,000+ positive reviews on newegg to back it up. I don't plan to OC. I like to play it safe, and it saves me $30 for a cooler.

The 3570 uses less watts (77), is newer tech, and is 3.4ghz out of the box.

With all that in mind, I want to rely on the stock fan.This is the budget rig I am building (keeping it under $900). I am also worried on whether or not the Ivy Bridge will work well with what I have ordered.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115233

What have you ordered? The only part that you would have to be worried about is the motherboard is it a z-68 or a z-77 ?
The other parts will work with either cpu.
The i5 2500K would be the better choice based on the unlocked multiplier and the ability to overclock. Right now you are saying no overclocking but in 6 months or a year that could change and then you would have to option to do so. If you go with the 3570 you don't have that option.
Also if at some point you decide to upgrade or build another computer the resale value of the 2500k would be greater than the 3570.
As for overclocking even a mild overclock is a safe thing to do and it gives your pc a nice boost and can be done with the stock cooler and that's a choice that you would have.
After all's said and done if you choose the 3570 you will have a good cpu that will perform well and is a low power cpu.
List your other components so we can see what you have chosen.

logan832

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
I appreciate you working with me. This is my first time every buying a pc for myself, let alone building one myself. Will I notice the lower 77w power supply in my electricity bill? Everything is ordered except for the Motherboard, and CPU.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fZiv
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fZiv/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fZiv/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.90 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($35.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card ($164.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: OCZ 600W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($149.98 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($8.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $866.28

If your going with the Z-68 then I ould go with the 2500k and there is a z-77 motherboard if you want to go with the Ivy Bridge cpu. You may not notice a lowering of your electric bill unless your running the Pc 24/7. The 2500k is a 95w cpu so there is only a 20w difference.

ASRock Z77 Extreme3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
$124.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157330

logan832

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
I think I will just go with the 2500k. So many people back that thing up, and as you said I could always OC it just a little bit. But that would be later down the road.

As long as it runs good on its stock fan, then im fine. There is also the problem that those new Motherboards that support ivy bridge are new and have very few ratings. So it would be difficult to tell the bad from the good.

Question though. Can I overclock pretty easily with the motherboard I am going to order?

Yes you can and the unlocked multiplier makes it that much easire to do a small overclock. All you have to do is raise the x-multipler by a few numbers then save and exit and you will have a nice small speed boost.
Lte's say for example that the stock multiplier number is x-25 , you would then raise it to x-27 or x-28 and you will have a small overclock that the stock heatsink will be ok with. I don't have the 2500k so I don't know the stock multiplier number , you will have to see that in the bios.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

Hey there - just to be clear - It has lots of positive reviews because it is a much older product. Once the 3570 is that old it will have nearly the exact same review profile.

I'm not telling you which one to pick, Im just letting you know that the number of reviews on newegg ARE NOT a good determining factor when buying products. They are both intel processors and they are both the same intel quality. One is just newer.

Edit p.s. if you have a microcenter nearby it will have a much lower price on the processor.

Edit #2. And frankly I don't think you will ever actually overclock or resell the processor. If you are this cautious now you aren't going to risk voiding warranties and damage by overclocking parts. (I would have said the 3570 is better for the non-overclocking user)