Sign in with
Your question

Is my CPU okay or possibly fried (i7-2600k)?

Last response: in CPUs
August 29, 2012 4:57:24 PM

Howdy!

Three days ago when I was changing my thermal paste I happened to notice about five minor darker spots on the CPU's pads, one of them was a bit darken than the others. Later when I refitted the CPU and it's CPU-cooler I was suddenly unable to boot. My P8P67-Deluxe-B3 motherboard kept giving me three specific Q-Codes:

Q-Code 45 "Unspecified memory initialization error". No image being displayed only LEDs would blink, all freeze or only able to get into the bios.
Q-Code 0d "Reserved for future AMI SEC error codes". No image being displayed only LEDs would blink, all freeze or only able to get into the bios.
Q-Code 64 "CPU DXE initialization is started". No image being displayed only LEDs would blink, all freeze or able to only get into the bios.

First I tried to switch all the RAMs in all available slots one at a time, with no result. Then suddenly I was for reasons unknown able to access my bios with the exception that it froze on me. A few attempts later both having tried to clear my CMOS and pushed the MemOK!-button several times on the motherboard itself I was able to get into my bios and saw that all of my settings had been scrambled (maybe because of all my attempts of clearing the CMOS) but I was able to set everything to default including auto, more or less factory default.

Saved my profile, restarted my PC but then it would go back as before "No image being displayed only LEDs would blink, all freeze or only able to get into the bios" after several RAM tests (MemOK!-button) and clearing the CMOS. Tried with another graphics card and this naughty issue was the same. I also tried with the "bios bootable" setting but they ended up the same. I have no way of testing my system for beeps since I have got no MOBO-speakers.

This is the affected area:

Facts: Primary GPU and RAMs are not causing this problem, nor is my PSU or HDDs (they all work fine).

My questions:
- Do you think my CPU is fried or damage in anyway?
- If I were to buy a new motherboard, is it safe to test my current CPU on it without damaging my new motherboard?

Ps. I'm posting this from my laptop.

Thanks in advance
M9A2
a c 190 à CPUs
August 29, 2012 5:34:55 PM

It is possible to fry to a CPU but I am going to guess that the board is the cause. You can pick a new board from almost anywhere but simply pick a board like the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 which is fairly good board for the price and will work with the 2nd generation Intel Core processors like what you would have used on your P8p67. If you are using one of the unlocked processors like the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K you are going to want to get a P67, Z68, Z75 or the Z77 chipset based board. If you are still having problems with the processor you can call our technical support at 916-377-7000 and they would be happy to see if they could help you out.
August 29, 2012 5:57:08 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
It is possible to fry to a CPU but I am going to guess that the board is the cause. You can pick a new board from almost anywhere but simply pick a board like the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 which is fairly good board for the price and will work with the 2nd generation Intel Core processors like what you would have used on your P8p67. If you are using one of the unlocked processors like the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K you are going to want to get a P67, Z68, Z75 or the Z77 chipset based board. If you are still having problems with the processor you can call our technical support at 916-377-7000 and they would be happy to see if they could help you out.

Thank you for your support, but I rather buy myself a new motherboard the very same P8P67-Deluxe-B3 as before because of it being currently heavily reduced in price at a few Swedish retailers, and the fact that it overclocks a little bit better than the newer ASUS-P8Z68-Deluxe/GEN3 (uses less vCore) at least according to a few reports from the overclock community "overclock.net", soure: http://www.overclock.net/t/1012874/the-official-asus-p8....

Is it possible to get a refund or what are my options, if any?
Would you recommend me to try my current CPU on a new motherboard (to see if it's okay or not)?
Related resources
August 29, 2012 11:05:22 PM

Bumping thread for further help!
August 30, 2012 12:35:03 AM

smorizio said:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2859
sounds and looks like the cpu socket might not have been seated all the way down. or it a burn mark from over voltage.

I appreciated your help, but do you think it's safe to try my CPU on a new motherboard without damaging it as well?
a c 193 à CPUs
August 31, 2012 3:04:55 AM

i would rma the cpu to make sure both the mb and cpu are undamaged.
!