A New GPU? its been bugging me...

italianmonti

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I honestly have been considering ordering a GPU for the longest time. I have a GTX 480 and I only buy nvidia. I almost ordered a card when I ordered everything for my computer. Sadly, the discontinued the gtx 590 which I was going to purchase. However, I saw the charts for the next cards coming out and I really feel if a company got ahold of the actual charts or what not I'd believe it even better.

I have no considered a specific card to buy right now. But I was curious if it would be worth the wait to buy a card if and when the new nvidia cards come out? I see that Raedons power houses are out and they beat nvidia somewhat at the end of the year but then again, when nvidia comes out they will have better performance than those cards.

I do not like running sli unless its in one card, (gtx 295, gtx 560ti (2 cores), gtx 590 (2 cores), etc.)

So I guess what I'm just asking is, order a new card now or wait 2 months and see if nvidia releases their new cards?

Thanks in advanced.

derekmd

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
I was in the the same situation when I upgraded, Have a 480 and wanted a new card, but I prefer Nvidia myself and after reading and researching I realized there was not a single solution card that offered an upgrade that would be worth it in the Nvidia line up. I agree wait for next generation.

As you stated, the 480 is about as far as you can go without moving up to a 580 which is not much of an increase, or a 590 which is rather difficult to find (though not entirely impossible). The 600 series should be out at the end of the month and should have some real upgrade options for you.
So I guess that is +7 for Kepler.