Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Corsair Carbide 300R query? PLEASE HELP?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • USB3
  • Corsair
  • USB
  • Components
Last response: in Components
August 29, 2012 5:27:27 PM

Ok this might be a little unusual and even stupid question but it has been troubling me a lot. So I will just ask it out.

I am looking to get this case soon (Corsair Carbide 300R) and it has only 2 USB 3.0 port out in the front and no USB 2.0. Now my motherboard only support USB 2.0.
My question is can I plug these USB 3.0 ports on my motherboard's USB 2.0 dock?
Will it work?
And if it does work I can use regular USB 2.0 devices in a USB 3.0 port right? Offcourse I dont expect it to work at USB 3.0 speeds :na: 

More about : corsair carbide 300r query

a b ) Power supply
August 29, 2012 5:52:26 PM

They are very different plugs. Some cases come with 3.0 to 2.0 adapters... (my Silverstone cases did) however it doesn't look like this case does. That sucks. (I just googled and came up with a comment on Anandtech)

You could take apart another old case, or buy a front 5.25 USB panel to use until you upgrade the motherboard?

Edit: Actually, why dont you try contacting Corsair? They might be able to help ... particularly when your purchase is based on their customer service.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 29, 2012 5:58:05 PM

kajabla said:
There's a Corsair accessory that comes with the more expensive cases (400R and 500R) for this purpose. I think this does it, and it's just $5: http://www.corsair.com/corsair-carbide-granite-accessor...
That's internal USB 3 to internal USB 2, so you can plug your front-panel cable into your motherboard's USB 2 header. You'll be at USB 2 speeds, yes, and it should work fine.

Nice find!
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
August 29, 2012 5:58:19 PM

There's a Corsair accessory that comes with the more expensive cases (400R and 500R) for this purpose. I think this does it, and it's just $5: http://www.corsair.com/corsair-carbide-granite-accessor...
That's internal USB 3 to internal USB 2, so you can plug your front-panel cable into your motherboard's USB 2 header. You'll be at USB 2 speeds, yes, and it should work fine.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 29, 2012 6:19:57 PM

When unsure, Google harder :D 
m
l
August 29, 2012 6:23:28 PM

kajabla said:

Thanks for that. It was pretty helpful :) 
But finding that exact same thing here in India would be a tough job :pfff: 
m
l
August 29, 2012 6:27:22 PM

deadlockedworld said:
They are very different plugs. Some cases come with 3.0 to 2.0 adapters... (my Silverstone cases did) however it doesn't look like this case does. That sucks. (I just googled and came up with a comment on Anandtech)

You could take apart another old case, or buy a front 5.25 USB panel to use until you upgrade the motherboard?

Edit: Actually, why dont you try contacting Corsair? They might be able to help ... particularly when your purchase is based on their customer service.

Yup you are right the 300R does not come with that adapter. That does kinda suck because it is a pretty good case :pfff: 
Well anyway I will go for since I wont have this old motherboard for long and when I do get a new one obviously it will have all those present gen goodies :sol: 

Plus I do have a multi USB dock :p 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 29, 2012 6:27:56 PM

amgamer29 said:
Ok this might be a little unusual and even stupid question but it has been troubling me a lot. So I will just ask it out.

I am looking to get this case soon (Corsair Carbide 300R) and it has only 2 USB 3.0 port out in the front and no USB 2.0. Now my motherboard only support USB 2.0.
My question is can I plug these USB 3.0 ports on my motherboard's USB 2.0 dock?
Will it work?
And if it does work I can use regular USB 2.0 devices in a USB 3.0 port right? Offcourse I dont expect it to work at USB 3.0 speeds :na: 

Another solution is too buy one of these, i do..

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB...

Akasa USB 3.0 internal adapter cable (AK-CBUB09-15BK)

m
l