Sign in with
Your question

Sandy Bridge vs Ivy Bridge?

Last response: in CPUs
August 29, 2012 5:31:04 PM

Hi there!
I´ve bought a Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 and a video card Zotac 660ti.
I was planning to buy the processor Sandy Bridge i7 2600k, but the guy at the shop told me that I should buy the new version of Ivy Bridge because the 2600k would be a limitation because the mother and the video card allows to run in PCI Express 3.0 and the processor uses 2.0.
So, I thought of buying the i5 3570k instead, but I´ve searched for it and it seems it is a little inferior of the i7 2660k.
How little?
What do you recommend?
Thanks for your help and suggestions!
Rosamunda
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2012 5:53:56 PM

A Z68 motherboard was made for the sandy bridge processors, and at this point having PCI-E 3.0 is only a gimmick and offers no advantages. The limitations the store guy is referring to do not exist (at least not yet).

That being said, in order to say whether a 3570k or 2600k is better, you'd have to say what you were going to use your system for.
m
l
August 29, 2012 6:06:23 PM

Ivy Bridge is hotter and more expensive, simply choose Sandy-Bridge and a 2500k.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2012 6:42:36 PM

m9a2 said:
Ivy Bridge is hotter and more expensive, simply choose Sandy-Bridge and a 2500k.

Woahh there, dont jump to conclusions!

You have to remember, he's not comparing Ivy and Sandy, hes compared a Sandy i7-2600k to an Ivy i5-3570k - so the ivy would be cheaper.

Ivy bridge does run hotter, but only when overclocked - the OP hasnt mentioned anything to do with OC'ing.

As Ive said in my previous post, we'd need to know what hes using the PC for in order to give a reasoned answer.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2012 6:42:58 PM

^^ I've owned an Ivy Bridge since May and have run Asus AI suite which has arguably the most accurate temp sensor outside of the BIOS monitor. At stock frequency on a Zalman 9900 cooler it runs maybe 3-4 degrees C above ambient. At load - Prime95 large FFTs - it runs about 18 degrees C above ambient. Since my room temp is generally 27 degrees C (80 degrees F), that would be 45 degrees C.

At a mild oc of 4GHz, it runs about 10 degrees hotter than the above, which is still fairly cool for a medium-efficiency cooler like the Zalman.

Above 4.5GHz (or when you have to get the core voltage to 1.3 or higher) it does run hot and may start throttling back. But an Ivy Bridge at 4.5GHz is about the same performance as a 2600K at 4.8-4.9GHz.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2012 6:45:43 PM

Gallarian said:

You have to remember, he's not comparing Ivy and Sandy, hes compared a Sandy i7-2600k to an Ivy i5-3570k - so the ivy would be cheaper.

Ivy bridge does run hotter, but only when overclocked - the OP hasnt mentioned anything to do with OC'ing.

As Ive said in my previous post, we'd need to know what hes using the PC for in order to give a reasoned answer.

Well said. Unfortunately there's lots of people posting stuff who don't own an IB but just repeat what they read or misread elsewhere. My 3770K has a TDP of 77watts, which is lower than SB's 95 watts. Plus I bought it for $280 at Microcenter :D .
m
l
August 29, 2012 7:22:14 PM

Thank you for your replies! (I´m a she, not a he. I suppose there are not many women around this forums :) 
I´m planning to use the PC principally to work with heavy video processors, but I want to play a lot there, that´s why I´ve bought the 660ti :) 
This is my very first building! :) 
Thanks for your help and insight!!
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2012 7:36:07 PM

Apologies!

Ah, in that case go for the 2600k - for purely gaming, you wont find better than the 3570k, (it wont be better than the 2600k, but youd spend more for no reason) but when it comes to other applications, the extra features of the i7 will benefit you there.

Dont worry about PCI-E 3.0, it offers no benefit as it stands and by the time it does, youll probably have a new CPU by then anyway!

Good luck with your build :) 

m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 8:08:29 PM

A girl! :ouch:  Kidding...

Anyway, for your usage, I would agree with Gallarian. The 2600k will benefit you more than the 3570k due to it's extra threads. Performance wise, Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge are very similar (only 5%-7% clock for clock) so you have nothing to worry about.

The only downside to getting Sandy Bridge over Ivy Bridge at the moment would be LucidVirtuMVP. I'm thinking you could benefit from that due to your video editing; which I'm guessing will require you to do some video file converting.

Again, as Gallarian has said, PCI-E 3.0 will yield no performance benefits at the moment; unless you're doing massive Multi-GPU configurations.

m
l
August 29, 2012 9:35:39 PM

Thank you VERY MUCH guys! Your opinions and insight were very useful indeed! As a first build (I feel very bold for trying this :)  ) I´m a little scared, but you´ve helped me decide!!
THANKS!!!!!
Rosamunda
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 10:34:28 PM

Good luck with your build! :) 

There is nothing to be scared of :)  There are so many references to build on the web as well, so there's plenty information if you get stuck.

And if those fail, there's a great community right here on THG ;) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2012 11:08:33 PM

2600K would be the better choice for video - hyperthreading will be put to good use.
-Bruce
m
l
August 29, 2012 11:15:51 PM

Gallarian said:

Okay, sorry my bad but the higher temps on Ivy-Bridge is a well known fact. Just read or watch a few reviews other than Newegg's. :kaola: 
In Tom Logan we trust: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9685x0ORYjI&feature=plcp
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2012 12:44:14 PM

(@Rosamunda - dont forget to select a best answer so this thread is marked 'Solved')
m
l
!