A "Game Night" Dilemma

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 17, 2005 7:09:32 PM

Hello everybody,

I would like to have some opinions on a difficult dilemma that occured
quite some time ago during an Xbox "Game Night" as I called them.

Here is the Story...

A long time ago, in the age of the first Boulders Gate, I began playing
with a good friend of mine. As weeks rolled on, he and his girlfriend
would come over a few days a week and play. As this started to become
more of a routine, we started getting wine and expensive cheeses and
crackers for the evenings events. This moved to hot hors dourves and
such. My wife, not caring for games, would quitely sit in the bedroom
as these game nights rolled on through 2 in the morning, throught
tremendous sounds my stereo was pumping out.

Well as time moved forward, game night became more and more
extravigant, and expensive for my household. But, I did not mind, as I
enjoyed the company of my friends and the hours of fun we had. I
started to shop for and purchase games that all three of us could play
on one console, split screen style. Halo was our usual. The three of us
waited for Halo 2 on the night that it came out, and had one smashing
time as a result. This is where the troubles began.

I love playing xbox, but I love Live even more. They were reluctant to
shell out the money for Live, so I got them the trial cards and they
signed up. They seemed to enjoy Halo 2 live, as that was what we
played most of the time. The only problem was they did not have
headsets. This comes into play later.

One day, as I was at a game store, I noticed that Ghost Recon 2 was
out. I imediatly purchased it, thinking that this would be quite fun
(We had the original, but only played it one night). We played for
quite some time in co-op mode, but things started to get really
interesting when we started live play. In GR2, the other live players
seemed to take a real interest in strategy and relied heavily on
communication with other players. It was a this point (or perhaps
sooner) that I really started pushing the two of them to get frigging
headsets. They kept saying NO, at first only because they did not
think them neccesary ("Well you can hear conversation for the
speakers"), but later, they did not want to get them just for the sheer
fact that I was pestering them too much about it.

Then One Night...

Game night as usual. I as politely about the headset issue. My friend
says, "At least you are not using your usual overbearing tone."

Woops... wy wife heard that (this is the same loving wife that had to
hear me complain about the situation all the time)

Well, she just let loose. Even I was speechless. She called them
selfish, ungrateful, and all sorts of other things. I do not even want
to remember the situation. She and I were upset at the idea that we
shelled out all this money (new xbox when the first broke, games,
food, alcohol (they chipped in on this too), extra controllers...) and
time (we had to clean the house before they came over) for game nights,
but when I ask for one simple request, they will not do it.

Lets just say that that was the end of game night for a long while (8
months). Well things are slowly picking up again (Girlfriend excluded,
as she still does not want to participate). But, as of an hour ago, I
started thinking about what happened thise long months ago, and it is
starting to tick me off. Right now I feel like canceling the whole
thing completely, even though relations are on the up swing. I am
curious about what others do in this situation, or give some advice as
to whether game nights should be canceled??

tk

More about : game night dilemma

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 4:09:52 AM

Your "friends" sound like a bunch of leeches. You need new friends, get rid
of the ones that your wife referened in her comments:

"Tom" <tomkuhn@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> to remember the situation. She and I were upset at the idea that we
> shelled out all this money (new xbox when the first broke, games,
> food, alcohol (they chipped in on this too), extra controllers...) and
> time (we had to clean the house before they came over) for game nights,
> but when I ask for one simple request, they will not do it.
>
> Lets just say that that was the end of game night for a long while (8
> months). Well things are slowly picking up again (Girlfriend excluded,
> as she still does not want to participate). But, as of an hour ago, I
> started thinking about what happened thise long months ago, and it is
> starting to tick me off. Right now I feel like canceling the whole
> thing completely, even though relations are on the up swing. I am
> curious about what others do in this situation, or give some advice as
> to whether game nights should be canceled??

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 7:00:16 PM

"Tom" <tomkuhn@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hello everybody,
>
> I would like to have some opinions on a difficult dilemma that occured
> quite some time ago during an Xbox "Game Night" as I called them.

<all too familiar story snipped>

I know these type of people, as one other poster mentioned, ditch em and get
non-leech friends. I always have the best gaming rig of my gang of friends
being the most into it, and I have no problems with people coming over to
hang out and do some gaming, but when it becomes a regular thing they will
bring refreshments, they will not bitch at how clean / dirty my place is,
and they will own their own controllers (this is a serious issue for me,
I've had it with clumsy idiots busting my gear) that they can store at my
place if they wish and I will guarantee them that only their hands will
touch it. And if I go to their place to game, I bring my controller, I bring
some drinks / beer / chips / whatever, and this issue hasn't occurred in
years. If youre friends are too immature / full of themselves to not see the
common sense in your arguments, then they aint worth much as gaming buddies,
they sound like gaming leeches who are too cheap to get their own rig.

Your wife sounds incredibly understanding and patient as well, I hope you
make it up to her for all these gaming nights ;o).

Wurm
July 18, 2005 9:26:06 PM

Yup... no offense to them, but why can't they have you over to their place
for game night? Why do they need to come to your place? If you're on Live,
there are plenty of good people to play with who have headsets, and you
wouldn't need to shell out all that money on your friends who won't even
spend a few bucks on a headset. If they want to have a "game night" with
you, then tell them to have it at their place or else tell them you'll see
them on Live. Why not try to get your wife involved by getting more
puzzle/strategy games? Would she go for that?

And your wife is hella cool for saying that. Sounds to me like your
"friends" were taking severe advantage of your hospitality and kindness.

> [...]
> to remember the situation. She and I were upset at the idea that we
> shelled out all this money (new xbox when the first broke, games,
> food, alcohol (they chipped in on this too), extra controllers...) and
> time (we had to clean the house before they came over) for game nights,
> but when I ask for one simple request, they will not do it.
>
> Lets just say that that was the end of game night for a long while (8
> months). Well things are slowly picking up again (Girlfriend excluded,
> as she still does not want to participate). But, as of an hour ago, I
> started thinking about what happened thise long months ago, and it is
> starting to tick me off. Right now I feel like canceling the whole
> thing completely, even though relations are on the up swing. I am
> curious about what others do in this situation, or give some advice as
> to whether game nights should be canceled??

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 8:27:17 PM

"Tom" <tomkuhn@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message

> I would like to have some opinions on a difficult dilemma that occured
> quite some time ago during an Xbox "Game Night" as I called them.

> Lets just say that that was the end of game night for a long while (8
> months). Well things are slowly picking up again (Girlfriend excluded,
> as she still does not want to participate). But, as of an hour ago, I
> started thinking about what happened thise long months ago, and it is
> starting to tick me off. Right now I feel like canceling the whole
> thing completely, even though relations are on the up swing. I am
> curious about what others do in this situation, or give some advice as
> to whether game nights should be canceled??

You're a selfish boob. Get over yourself. Apologize for using your
overbearing tone with your friends and hope that they apologize for their
words. Get on with life and enjoy your game nights. Life's too short to
not have good friends.

So what if they don't want headsets, they're in your living room. They can
hear you just fine. You can relay orders to them for movement and strategy.
!